Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you were told as a kid you still believed when you got older?

Options
  • 30-07-2008 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭

During a conversation with a friend today we were talking about crazy things we were told when we were younger that we always thought were true. I remember crying to my mom that there was a spider on my pillow, she told me spiders helped jesus on the cross so i should be happy to share my pillow with it, and i got really guilty and apologised to the spider lol!

My friend was told that when you eat all the cabbage a little green alien appears and you can keep it in your pocket (she believed it until mid teenager years!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Green spots on your tongue when you tell a lie? Saying "Rabbits" first thing when you wake up on the first of the month and you'll be rich all month? Never walk anticlockwise around a lios? Going to sleep with your hair wet will kill you?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

My da told me I was Christy Browns cousin I told everyone in the school :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

That various dogs and cats went to "a lovely farm"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

luckat wrote: »
    Green spots on your tongue when you tell a lie? Saying "Rabbits" first thing when you wake up on the first of the month and you'll be rich all month? Never walk anticlockwise around a lios? Going to sleep with your hair wet will kill you?

ha ha ha ha, i laught so hard when i read this, its a good one.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Prefabsprouter

Yeah its amazing what beliefs you carry into adulthood!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

That if you cut a worm in two, it turns into two worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

iguana wrote: »
    That if you cut a worm in two, it turns into two worms.

Is this not true? Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Khannie wrote: »

Worms can regenerate cut off parts. I'm not sure if two worms could grow from a single worm cut in half though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Was told by another kid that germs couldn't live on ice so when you dropped an ice lolly on the ground/ in muck, a quick wipe and you were ready to go. Believed it for years. Maybe it is true. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Khannie wrote: »

If you cut it, it will die. But it takes a long time for the message that it is dead to relay through the body, so it will continue to wriggle for quite some time after it dies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

ntlbell wrote: »
    My da told me I was Christy Browns cousin I told everyone in the school :o

LOL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭traceybere

for years i believed a spot (acne) was a hormone that crashed into the side of your face - i think i picked it up when some said that acne was caused by hormones racing around your body added one and one and got three :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭harmacist

Thought that only brown jellyfish could sting you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

The inside of smarties were made of beetles:eek:

Theres a big man in a red suit that comes down the chimney with presents once a year:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jusme

lolly22 wrote: »
    Theres a big man in a red suit that comes down the chimney with presents once a year:P:P

What? It's not true?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Mehh

luckat wrote: »
    Going to sleep with your hair wet will kill you?

lol... Great Parenting, if you don't dry your hair, you're going to die

The wife's sister tells her kids that if the Ice Cream Van plays music, it means they've run out. They still believe it as far as I know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

If you pump air from a bicycle pump on your finger you will get warts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Mehh wrote: »
    lol... Great Parenting, if you don't dry your hair, you're going to die

The wife's sister tells her kids that if the Ice Cream Van plays music, it means they've run out. They still believe it as far as I know :)

Lollers, my friend is going to tell her little fella that when he's bigger, he's only 18 months now :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

my parents always told me that 'I would understand when I'm older'. I still don't

• Advertisement

foxy06 wrote: »

Me too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭IceICEbaby

haha! these are a riot :D

I remember when i was about six and i was on a plane to australia with my family....
    I was complaining over being bored and my dad told me that to entertain people on planes, they used to tie pretty women onto the wings of the plane by their feet and they called them "wing dancers"
    "But one time one of the ladies danced too hard and she fell off, so thats why they dont do it anymore...."

Im 18 now and swear to god i didnt find realise he lied until like a year ago....:cool: clever chiiiild
    xD

xxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

stovelid wrote: »
    Me too. :)

Me three. It does give you warts, doesn't it? :confused:

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Me three. It does give you warts, doesn't it? :confused:

Always been too afraid to try. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

lolly22 wrote: »
    The inside of smarties were made of beetles:eek:
    The red outside is made from a dye from beetles though :)

Used to believe that bread crusts made your hair curly, so didn't eat them until I was 14, then binged on an entire loaf of bread crusts to get curly hair for a party. Was bitterly dissapointed :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭KJ_2008

Mehh wrote: »

I'm in tears laughing at that one, love it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

taram wrote: »
    The red outside is made from a dye from beetles though :)

Used to believe that bread crusts made your hair curly, so didn't eat them until I was 14, then binged on an entire loaf of bread crusts to get curly hair for a party. Was bitterly dissapointed :p

:eek::eek::eek: And I was told it was the blue one's. :confused:

Try a curling tongs:P

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

My parents called head lice 'willywobblers' when we were kids and I thought that was their real name. I remember later when i was about 14 I mentioned them to my friends who went hysterical with laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

foxy06 wrote: »

LOL I completely forgot about that one!!!!!!!!!!!! Hilarious!!!

When the pope came to Ireland I was about 4 and my dad told me that the parish priest said you had to be 7 to go to the Phoenix Park. It was only a couple of years ago I mentioned it to him and he fell around the place laughing!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MissTF

My dad always told us he was going to see a man about a dog every time he went for a pint! Spent years disappointed because he never came home with a puppy:)

Advertisement