Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fold up bikes?

Options
  • 30-07-2008 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

how much and where to get them, just needed for a 5-10min commute that ill be making several times a day have no where to lock it at home and have to lug it upstairs to an apartment so a fold up bike would be ideal. nothing fancy otherwise(nothing ridiculous looking would be a benefit) obvious light and cheap would be good. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You have lots of options for that distance. Dahon are very good for the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

they seems really expensive. i see some ones on ebay for around 1 hundred euro, would there be a catch to these like taking 10mins to assemble?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I would say the catch is that they wouldn't last very long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bluevalentine

Folders are like any other kind of bike. You get what you pay for. The Dawes is supposed to be the best of the cheapos.
    I have a Dahon which I bought on the web from CH White & Son, UK who only sell folding bikes. They'd be worth talking to for advice. The build, design and finish of the Dahon is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

I have a Brompton for about the past 4 years, very handy to fold, very good quality frame though some of the components (e.g. saddle, grips, brake levers) are not great. It is probably the smallest folded package, very handy to store and take on trains, etc. But quite expensive!

Recently picked up a Dahon from DerFaltradshop. I agree with the previous poster, the quality is excellent, also it is noticeably lighter than the Brompton so easier to lug upstairs. What I don't like is the folding mechanisms are a lot more complex and tend to creak a lot unless they are lubricated, the Brompton is a lot simpler design and does not creak.

The Dahon Curve would be a similar size to the Brompton, it is listed at €399 on that site and would probably suit the OP for short journeys, and storage in a small apartment. I have seen some good offers on folders on the UK site Winstanleys, worth checking there too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement