Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband Wireless

Options
  • 30-07-2008 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Iolar wrote: »
    Are they any good?im in Portlaoise area,was looking at their 3mb package with international calls.
    Thanks for any advice

I dont think they are taking any more orders in Portlaoise. Well up to a few months ago they werent anyway, reason was their sectors were full.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

Would you recommend them?i dont really want to try eircom as im having problems getting dsl in my apartment,are there any other decent wireless providers in portloaise?i would need for skype etc definately
    What part of PL are you in?

• Advertisement

Old Mill appartments,church avenue
    Jesus I thought I knew all of PL, never heard of that place though. Which road out of Portlaoise is it on?

I know where you are now,
    You have a choice of digiweb metro, Ice or IBB (thats if they are taking any new orders)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Wireless (line of sight) and VoIP = disaster

It would have heavy jitter, packet loss, and would be unable to keep a constant data flow - meaning that your calls, every so often at the very least, will lose quality and reception, like as if you have a bad signal on your mobile phone.

Are UPC providing broadband in your area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

DECEiFER wrote: »

It would have heavy jitter, packet loss, and would be unable to keep a constant data flow - meaning that your calls, every so often at the very least, will lose quality and reception, like as if you have a bad signal on your mobile phone.

Thats no where near right!Iv been on wireless for about a year,only on 512kb and most the time any issues(which is very little) iv had,have been down to the pc or skype service its self.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Taliesin

ricky91t wrote: »
    Thats no where near right!Iv been on wireless for about a year,only on 512kb and most the time any issues(which is very little) iv had,have been down to the pc or skype service its self.

Agreed, I have a 3Mb IBB link running VoIP, among other things, and I never have a problem with quality etc.

Tal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

DECEiFER wrote: »

I've talked to my brother on skype loads of times and he has IBB breeze. Why do people all of a sudden recommend UPC just because of speed upgrades? I've heard nothing but horror stories about NTL to recommend them to anyone unless i had used them myself.

I would be more worried about being able to put up an external antenna on the apartment tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

I *stand* corrected. Sorry.

My recent 2 month experience of using Ripwave Plus has dimmed my view of Wireless Broadband, more so than it was prior to signing up for it. I guess Breeze is a better (in terms of reliability, not speed) and more stable package?

Advertisement