Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOS - SNN Carry On Q

Options
  • 30-07-2008 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm flying out of Boston at short notice in 4 hours with Aer Lingus. I have no suitcases to check, but I have a cabin bag (under 6kgs), a laptop/photo bag and possibly a third smaller backpack. Will I run into problems regarding getting 3 bags into the cabin?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Spotted this too late! You are probably checked in now.

It would appear from the Aer Lingus website that the one bag rule applies to all flights. The 6kg weight limit? Small camera's allowed as an extra. Who in there right mind would allow their camera equipment in the hold? I have worked for an airline for 20 years, and I would never do this.

http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1/Services/cabin_bag.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@2127297345.1217450001@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfadeekhehjegcefecfigdffgdfkj.0&P_OID=-536879754&Category=3#all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Thanks for the reply Foggy. As it happens, they let my bags on fine. They did weigh them (all under 6 kgs) but didn't say anything about there being 3 of them. I noticed several people with similar amounts of carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

II have often got away with bringing three bags into the cabin of a Ryanair flight returning from Reus, I.e. one holdall, laptop bag with as much other stuff as I can pack in to it, and a duty free bag with spanish smokes etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Foggy. As it happens, they let my bags on fine. They did weigh them (all under 6 kgs) but didn't say anything about there being 3 of them. I noticed several people with similar amounts of carry on.
    Where do they weigh the bags? I'll be checking in online myself. My bag will be 6kgs but it will be 2cm over on one side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

The check in staff are supposed to weigh it. Usually not an issue unless the aircraft is full and a risk of delay sending baggage from the cabin down to the hold.
    When you present your boarding pass or equivellant you are supposed to get an eye ball check. This is where most problems occur. Again usually due to the aircraft being full or overhead bins being inop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Where do they weigh the bags? I'll be checking in online myself. My bag will be 6kgs but it will be 2cm over on one side.

you should be fine as long as its a soft bag rather than a rigid one.

You should see some of the bags people carry on EI flights, the term taking the piss springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

you should be fine as long as its a soft bag rather than a rigid one.

You should see some of the bags people carry on EI flights, the term taking the piss springs to mind.
    THats the thing, its a soft sports bag so it can fit if you just bend it in a bit. I'm a nervous person in the airport and I always worry if some little jobsworth has a chance to charge me €20 or whatever mad money it is to check a bag in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

I didn't check in online, just normally at the desk. The check in assistant asked me to put the bags on the weigh part of the desk and said she had to make sure that they were under 6kgs, nothing about height or anything. I wouldn't worry, the size of some people's carry on was really taking the piss and they seemed to be getting away with it.

Advertisement