Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our local Green Party member is looking for....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sunnyse

delly wrote: »
    Lads, as a non-Waterforder, whats the craic here, whats with all the hostility? I presume i'm missing out on some local hot gossip?

Our local green party candidate is named Brendan McCann, he has been on a one man crusade to interfere with practially any and all planning applications by developers in Waterford.
    Most people here would agree that he personally has held up developement in Waterford by a number of Years by incessantly objecting to planning proposals and taking decisions to an board pleannala. With the result that large sorely needed developements all over Waterford will probably not now go ahead as the economic downturn has changed the opportunities that had existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Where's that video gone again?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I see. Reminds me of those people who held up M50 for so long, who didn't even live near the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Lads, seriously, think of the effect this is going to have on the traffic!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Where's that video gone again?

Ah sure why not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That was brilliant and so true on so many levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

I took a trip out by Mr McCanns house today...and By golly you'll never guess what i've seen........

i seen...wait for it... I seen a natterjack toad hopping around in his garden...i also seen a grey partridge fly into his back garden and it had a rough poppy in its mouth....now... correct me if i'm wrong ..but these are all endangered/protected species in this country

I believe the EPA should carryout a thorough survey/study of this area ....any building works could destroy any habitat these creatures have established here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Excellent Video, very funny.:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Typhoon. wrote: »
    I took a trip out by Mr McCanns house today...and By golly you'll never guess what i've seen........

i seen...wait for it... I seen a natterjack toad hopping around in his garden...i also seen a grey partridge fly into his back garden and it had a rough poppy in its mouth....now... correct me if i'm wrong ..but these are all endangered/protected species in this country

I believe the EPA should carryout a thorough survey/study of this area ....any building works could destroy any habitat these creatures have established here.
    Good man funny yet still plausible :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

bumping.

So what exactly is the procedure for putting in a planning objection?

• Advertisement

For a start we need to wait until he formally lodges the application. He hasn't yet.

Unfortunately it looks like a fairly straight forward application. Most delay you could hope for is 4/5 months with an bord pleannala.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sunnyse wrote: »
    Unfortunately it looks like a fairly straight forward application. Most delay you could hope for is 4/5 months with an bord pleannala.

True but longer if the objection wins :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

I just can't believe a Waterford Architechtural company is doing the design work -:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Bards wrote: »
    I just can't believe a Waterford Architechtural company is doing the design work -:mad:

Some people will do anything for a few euro..
    mind you now the app. is up.... everyone can now object, hey just to tie planning up on this a little bit longer, I think its worth €20 and give him a taste of his own medicine......

How long does it take for the plans and other papers to appear online?

They don't. Online is only a reference, you gotta go into the planning office on Maritana Gate for the rest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iv seen plans and papers appear for other applicaitons in the past.. wasnt that the whole idea of making it all online?

It takes time for them to scan in all the documents. In the case of this particular application it would make sense for them to do it fast as demand will be high to inspect these particular plans. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

Waterford County Council have access to planning documentation on line, Waterford City don't yet. All applications require viewing in the planning office. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Planning Permission to replace a roof and build an extension on to his property at 169 Viewmount.

He has his planning notice in this weeks News & Star page 68,using his wife's name.

Please form an orderly queue and strictly only one objection per person:D

Typical useless begrudging waster Irish attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

egan007 wrote: »

I don't think anyone is really begrudging him. It's another matter altogether. More like giving him a taste of his own medicine, except objecting to him will cause far less damage than he causes with his serial objections.

I'd imagine you have no idea of the situation involved or you wouldn't be so quick to criticise.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

sunnyse wrote: »
    I'd imagine you have no idea of the situation involved or you wouldn't be so quick to criticise.

Oh so because he objects to everything in the city, everyone should object to his application to give him a taste of his own medicine? The man has a right to object. He obviously feels the need and is concerned about how the city could turn out. In the large majority of cases he is not the only one objecting.

Its ironic that those giving out about him objecting to planning applications are now turning around and doing the exact same to him. Hypocritical tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Why waste your energy on a roof repair and an extension?

If nothing else, he has shown how completely inadequate the system of planning review and appeal is in this country. I'm no great fan of his, but I respect his commitment to official procedure; any change that would result from a careful official consideration of his actions can only be positive - that includes a review of why it was as easy for him to make such a volume of submissions.

There are bigger menaces to sensible urban and rural development than McCann

Listen here lads, Brendan McCann is a serial objector plain and simple. He has made life hell for many developers and business people throughout our city. He nearly wrecked two mens lively hood in the process too.

I agree that there has been some submissions in the past which I have agreed with him on, but others are plain outright stupid. One which springs to mind is The development of the shop in farron park, where he single handily held up this for over 2 years, His main grief here was with the off licence, however he had no problem with the fact that there was a 24hr shopping centre which also sold alcohol within a mile of the development site.

I was up in Galway recently and I got talking to a city centre business owner in a hotel up there, In our conversation, he asked where I was from, and when I mention Waterford, the first thing he said was Brendan McCann. He knew all about him and was glad that he was no longer in Galway.

Yes I do agree that we all have a right to object to certain planning applications but I don't think that anyone else sits through every single application lodged with the city council and decides to object to a large percentage of them.

It is my belief that he was sent to waterford by Galway city council with the main objective of holding Waterford back. Jesus even members of his own green party distanced themselves from him in the run up to last years General election.

First off watch who you are calling a waster, I made that comment as a joke. It was more tongue and check.

I have no plans to object to this application, but Im sure other may, because of hassles that he has put others through in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Sully wrote: »
    Oh so because he objects to everything in the city, everyone should object to his application to give him a taste of his own medicine? The man has a right to object.

Yes he does have a right to object, just like everybody else has a right. What goes round comes round is ringing a bell when I hear about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Aquos76 wrote: »
    It is my belief that he was sent to waterford by Galway city council with the main objective of holding Waterford back.

Are you serious? Many posts on Brendan McCann mention where he comes from. I think it is perhaps more relevant to ask where he is going. And the answer to that is almost certainly nowhere. Waterford is his home now and perhaps more importantly, the home of his children. Do you really think it is plausible that any man would jeopardize his family's future because of petty tribalism? Perhaps so but I think that that's implausible. I do not know what Mr. McCann's agenda is but I am inclined to believe that he genuinely believes (rightly or wrongly) that his actions are in the best interests of the region.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement