Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Talk or Moan About Your Dart Skills Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Has anyone got any funny but true dart stories from the pub darts scene?. Something along the lines off some bloke comes swaggering in giving it all this and challenges a local to a game for money and gets owned?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Has anyone got any funny but true dart stories from the pub darts scene?. Something along the lines off some bloke comes swaggering in giving it all this and challenges a local to a game for money and gets owned?.

Last year, I was practising in a pub where my mother works. A man, about 40, comes up to me and says "I bet you €20 you can't hit the bullseye". Being 16 at the time, I knew if I didn't hit it, I wouldn't have to pay him, so I agreed.
    I stepped up to the oche, took aim, and hit dead centre of the bull. Cue a few "Way-heys" from a group of people close by. The man, smiling, took out his wallet and handed me €20.

Good times :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

This involves me.... About 8 of us were in the darts festival in killarney about 2 years ago and as you do, brought home a pile of 180 signs.

Anyhow about 2 weeks later, i was playing this 14 year old kid in a tournie, first 3 darts i hit a 180. Cue about 10 lads picking up the 180 signs and coming up to the board dancing and waving the boards around singing "doo doo doo doo doo do doo do doo do dooo" with the rest of the pub watching.

Long story short, i lost the leg afterwards. All the lads got behind the young fella, telling him what shots to go for (cause he couldn't count his darts) and he checked out 85 on the bull!!! Cue all the lads giving me lots of stick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

happened to me bout a year ago, was playing down my local and was beating eveyone, this fella walks up and can barely walk straight he's so drunk, told me he could hammer me no prob (messing:D), walks up the oche, swaying like mad and goes "ah feck this" pulls up a bar stood to the oche and sits on it and throws his darts, i lost the game cuase i was in stiches that he had the neck to do it, met him the day after and he didn't remember a thing, class:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Managed to hit my best ever leg last night after not throwing for 2 weeks. It's not fantastic but I threw a 13 darter which i have never done before.

I have to say that those Trident things are great, they make the dart flow through the air much better and I am hitting much more trebles than I was before. Delighted with them and my 13 darter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

when i removed my tridents recently, ive started absolutely bashing up my flights, so im putting them back on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

I can't wait to get my new darts as the ones I have now are really doing my head in lately!:mad: Just practised for about 20mins, got a about 4 140's and a few 100+ scores but apart from was quiet rubbish, the dart is slipping out of my hand at times and the amount of poxy bounce outs is really annoying!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

back to the darts again tonight, a four a side tournament. looking forward to it now. hopefully we might win.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

My Tridents seem to be getting bashed up very quickly. Anyone else have this problem? They seem to get shredded very quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭ciarraibhoy

Kingp35 wrote: »
    My Tridents seem to be getting bashed up very quickly. Anyone else have this problem? They seem to get shredded very quick.

Not me, had the same set on since I started using them back in April

• Advertisement

Maybe I got a crappy set. I bought them of the A180 site. Are your set made of plastic? Would make more sense to me if they were made of light rubber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

Delighted, 11 dart leg last night against n01,
    140, 180, 145 (T20, T20, 25) and got D18 with my second dart, shoulda bein 10 but I'm thrilled with 11. Finished with an overall average of 77 and beat level 7 8-1.

Maybe I got a crappy set. I bought them of the A180 site. Are your set made of plastic? Would make more sense to me if they were made of light rubber.

Got mine from A180 as well, weird that yours are getting battered :confused:

padr81 wrote: »
    140, 180, 145 (T20, T20, 25) and got D18 with my second dart, shoulda bein 10 but I'm thrilled with 11. Finished with an overall average of 77 and beat level 7 8-1.

Well done mate, great darts.

padr81 wrote: »

Great darts Padr, thank God I'm not playing you until the 6th round of matches!;):D

I have had very little time to practice lately, have hardly thrown a dart in the last 2 weeks. When I have had the chance to throw though I have been playing the best darts of the life. I usually averaged around the 60 mark, if I average over 60 I was happy. Since I put thr tridents on my darts I have pushed my average up to around 65 and I have been hitting much more 180's, 140's and Tons. If I can get my finishing sorted I can push that up a bit more. Very happy with how I am throwing, just need to find some more time for practice sessions.

I have had very little time to practice lately, have hardly thrown a dart in the last 2 weeks. When I have had the chance to throw though I have been playing the best darts of the life. I usually averaged around the 60 mark, if I average over 60 I was happy. Since I put thr tridents on my darts I have pushed my average up to around 65 and I have been hitting much more 180's, 140's and Tons. If I can get my finishing sorted I can push that up a bit more. Very happy with how I am throwing, just need to find some more time for practice sessions.

Nice one KingP! I'm the opposite, the less I play the worse I get!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Daffy501

I find this too , a bit of a break every now and then works for me. mind you it wouldnt be a couple of weeks for me just a few days maybe then back to the board. Feel refreshed and ready to play after a few days off the oche

I usually go about 5 or 6 days without playing after a tournament or county trial and then pick them up again the day or sometimes the day before I'm due to play next. I just couldn't play every day I would get sick of playing if I did. Didn't play for a couple of weeks before Midland Open and was very happy with my performance there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

I usually go about 5 or 6 days without playing after a tournament or county trial and then pick them up again the day or sometimes the day before I'm due to play next. I just couldn't play every day I would get sick of playing if I did. Didn't play for a couple of weeks before Midland Open and was very happy with my performance there.

I think it comes down to the length you've being playing mate, someone whose being throwing darts for quite a few years (no offence), doesn't need the practice of a player in their first 3-4 years as they're throw etc... doesn't go when they stop playing.

For me if I take a week or two off my throw is all over the place my posture bad and i have to spend two days re-aligning everything and getting my stance, grip etc.. right before i can even think about playing well.

I think there is a time at the beginning where you have to put in the hours but after awhile from what I gather from most county players its just a case of when you can play, you can play regardless of how much time you put in.

• Advertisement

Had a really good day at the board today. Played ratinakeg earlier and won 3-0 in our first match and 11-1 in our second match.
    To be fair rat didnt get going today at all but i bet he will bounce back :D

second match stats:
    Legs 11
    100+ 14
    140+ 6
    180's 2
    3dart average 71.69

Daffy501 wrote: »
    Had a really good day at the board today. Played ratinakeg earlier and won 3-0 in our first match and 11-1 in our second match.
    To be fair rat didnt get going today at all but i bet he will bounce back :D

second match stats:
    Legs 11
    100+ 14
    140+ 6
    180's 2
    3dart average 71.69

Ah damn it it was 11-1:(! Played crap today, I can't wait to get my new Jelle Klaasen darts, poxy darts are doing my head in, amount of times I had a bounce out or my darts slipped out of my hands is unbelievable!:(:mad:

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Ah damn it it was 11-1:(! Played crap today, I can't wait to get my new Jelle Klaasen darts, poxy darts are doing my head in, amount of times I had a bounce out or my darts slipped out of my hands is unbelievable!:(:mad:

Ye i couldnt believe the amount of bounce outs you had mate especially on the eclipse pro board :eek:

Daffy501 wrote: »
    Ye i couldnt believe the amount of bounce outs you had mate especially on the eclipse pro board :eek:

I was really p!ssed off when I hit two T20's and the last dart bounced out of the T20!:(Can't wait for my new darts to arrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

anybody favour a particular grip over another. i always use and ring gripped darts but i want to try a knurled grip, is there any advantage one over the other or is it just a personal thing

I'm playing some awful crap of late, as Daffy said it might be down to tiredness, I'm not even concentrating like I normally do. I don't know what is happening, the darts are going all over the shop sometimes, I might take a break from darts until I get my new one's this week, it's really doing my head in. Don't think it's dartitis, just a lack of practise:confused::mad::mad:

My advice is take a couple of days off, don't even pick up a dart. This will clear your mind and make you feel fresh when you get back on the board. A little break can do you good and it will stop all the frustration you are feeling because it's not going right for you.

I agree mate , your not throwing your usual stuff.
    Could be a number of things but i would say mainly its tiredness from the hours your doing.
    Best to have a rest , recharge the batterys and get back practicing in a few days ;)

I did it myself a couple of weeks ago and it helped me

Cheers lads for the advice. I just heard some really bad news so I had to let go of some steam by throwing a few darts and I actually played alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Jay.cymru

i agree with the takin a few days off, i was playing mbc bout 4 days ago played the worst darts of me life,it was like ive never played darts, so didnt look at a dart for a few days and we played last night and i could not stop hitting the treble 20 every time i let go of the dart i knew it was going in

Advertisement