Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Talk or Moan About Your Dart Skills Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I'm really looking forward to playing for a team this season because I think it's going to help my game big time. I have been going through my usual spell of not being able to hit a double but it has also gotten worse as in I am having trouble setting myself up to hit a double as well. When i get down to between 100 and 180 I tend to completely mess it up. i am always putting myself in the position to finish legs in 24 darts or less but I miss a lot of them. I lost 8-2 to level 6 on N01 last night where I managed to average 62.5 despite only having an 11% checkout rate! My scoring is decent, definitely not spectacular as first 9 is rarely over 70, but it's solid meaning my setting up and finishing is letting me down.

I think playing on a team and being under pressure is going to help my game a lot and push me up to a 70 finish because I know if I miss I will lose. I will also be letting the team down. It will give me experience etc so I am relying on this to get my game to the next level.

I'm becoming very frustrated with darts in that I am stuck at a certain standard for a while now and practicing almost seems like a chore at this stage! Can't wait to start on a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

I can't wait myself to join a team, my average at home is around about the 70 mark and I'm sick of beating me mates, if I can produce that on a team I'll be flying but it'll take time to settle in! I like testing me skills against n01 but I'd rather play against a player who is better than me or at the same level. Can't beat that experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭ciarraibhoy

I'm going the other way and not bothering with team darts this year, not that I turned up much last year really, probably missed more matches than I played. The thought of going out on a wet and windy Thursday night doesn't have much appeal to be honest :D

Just got in about 6 legs on my own (doing the scores using me head) just there, finish all games in less than 20 legs! Happy enough with that!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 assante

Lads and lassies
    I see ye are all pissed off about having a bad record against playing computer darts.Well I think I have a bit of news for ye and that is that computers dont suffer from nerves in case ye didn't know and that is the biggest part of playing in competition,I have been playing darts for over twenty years and nerves are still a problem for me.
    Viewing older posts I see that a lot of guys are asking about drinking beers etc to settle nerves ,well let me tell you it does not,

if you can do it at home on that board in your own relaxed enviornment then you can do it in competition, all it takes is a few gentle breathing exercises which I have mastered and have helped me to win a lot of major tournaments in Ireland.
    So thats my bit of usless information for ye ,which will probally fall on deaf ears but lads and lassies there are a couple of thousand dart boards out there with loads of guys willing to play so face up to them and not some image on some fancy flat screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

assante wrote: »
    Lads and lassies
    I see ye are all pissed off about having a bad record against playing computer darts.Well I think I have a bit of news for ye and that is that computers dont suffer from nerves in case ye didn't know and that is the biggest part of playing in competition,I have been playing darts for over twenty years and nerves are still a problem for me.
    Viewing older posts I see that a lot of guys are asking about drinking beers etc to settle nerves ,well let me tell you it does not,

if you can do it at home on that board in your own relaxed enviornment then you can do it in competition, all it takes is a few gentle breathing exercises which I have mastered and have helped me to win a lot of major tournaments in Ireland.
    So thats my bit of usless information for ye ,which will probally fall on deaf ears but lads and lassies there are a couple of thousand dart boards out there with loads of guys willing to play so face up to them and not some image on some fancy flat screen.

best piece of advice i have heard in a long time, i have stopped playing no1 and am just focusing on the darts i'm throwing and nothing else, the breathing exercises you mentioned i have been trying to do myself, they have been working but sometimes i'm so caught up in a match i forget to do them during the game. thanx again for the advice and i see from your posts count your only new, welcome to the mad house you'll have a laugh i can tell ye:D

Lads and lassies

I agree with D.T, best advice I've heard in a long time. I only play against n01 when there is no one around to play. I'm joining a team for the new season and I'm in a tournament in England next week and I also set up a tournament in Bray. I just play against the computer for some sort of practise, I'll try them breathing exercises.

Thank you,

Paul.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

See my problem is that none of my mates play darts so when i give them a game I hammer them. it's no practice at all. Don't really have the time to be going down the pub to practice with the waiting around to get a game against someone. That's why I am so looking forward to playing on a team. i will get regular games against other lads and I can enter competitions etc.

Great advice by the way.

My brother better wake up soon, I need some practise in the room he is sleeping in!:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

ratinakeg wrote: »
    My brother better wake up soon, I need some practise in the room he is sleeping in!:mad::mad::mad:
    Throw softly Shhhhh :)

• Advertisement

Played against my brother just there in 2 games of 301, I won 2-0. Here is my stats;

100+ 0
    140+ 0
    180's 0
    High out 14
    Best 36

Darts 37
    Score 24.41
    Check 15.38

Thank God I was playing mini darts or I would of killed meself!;):D:D

You must have been playing double off 301 ya!!!!!But sure if you like double seven no one can hold that against you,anyway start playing 501,have you seen many 301 competions advertised lately?If my memory serves me right I think the last 301 double off competion was held in tramore in 1997 by mike sullivan,I remember John McKenna from kildare lost in the final but i cant remember who he lost to.keep it goin anyway bud and dont be too tough on the bro. he needs his sleep!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

You must have been playing double off 301 ya!!!!!But sure if you like double seven no one can hold that against you,anyway start playing 501,have you seen many 301 competions advertised lately?If my memory serves me right I think the last 301 double off competion was held in tramore in 1997 by mike sullivan,I remember John McKenna from kildare lost in the final but i cant remember who he lost to.keep it goin anyway bud and dont be too tough on the bro. he needs his sleep!!!

Your point being what? Do you honestly think that you are the only person on this board that has over twenty years playing darts at the highest level in the country?

I have, I don't need to brag about it.

I have read your magnificent three posts, you gave fair to average advice in the first of your posts, that was it, I agree about the computer bit, tis useless,

There is only one way to get better, that is to play superior players until you beat them and then darts are darts, you either are good enough or you are not. You either have the talent for the game or you dont. Its very simple.

The mans name is Michael O' Sullivan, he posts on here as DartGod, nice fella on or off the board. Just so you don't get confused. I used to enjoy the 301 in Tramore though.

I will have to say though that 301 is one of the best games for practice going.

I was only playing an a mini board with mini darts, so we just played 301!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭ciarraibhoy

NeoRox wrote: »
    Your point being what? Do you honestly think that you are the only person on this board that has over twenty years playing darts at the highest level in the country?

I have, I don't need to brag about it.

I have read your magnificent three posts, you gave fair to average advice in the first of your posts, that was it

:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭501darts

I threw my first darts comp since killarney last year yesterday....not one bit of consistency..180s, 177s, some great scoring followed by some crap.
    My first leg of darts was a 14 darter followed by a 40+ leg then a 15 darter followed by another 40+ game.
    Nothin spectacular bit something to build on.

sorry mate,I didnt mean to offend anybody ,and I certainly didnt mean to brag,Having just returned to Ireland after living abroad for a few years where we used to play 301 double off most nights ,and i will agree with you 100percent that it is the best game of all for practice.and another thing that I would agree with you is play the best players possible,its the only way you to improve.
    sorry again man if I upset you and I will be more carefull in future,Glad you enjoyed some of my comments anyway.thanks .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

I think John may have been beaten by Kerry's Sean Marshall in 1997 in the much lamented 301 tournament. I'm sure Dartgod would have results hidden away in his vault somewhere !

I'm gonna beat Daffy tonight for the first time ever!:eek::D I'll update you's on how I do!:D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Darts League is back tonight for the Rushtown Darts League

fun and games, time for me to start producing the darts i can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

sorry mate,I didnt mean to offend anybody ,and I certainly didnt mean to brag,Having just returned to Ireland after living abroad for a few years where we used to play 301 double off most nights ,and i will agree with you 100percent that it is the best game of all for practice.and another thing that I would agree with you is play the best players possible,its the only way you to improve.
    sorry again man if I upset you and I will be more carefull in future,Glad you enjoyed some of my comments anyway.thanks .

Hi, I didn't post like that to make anyone feel bad, I hope that you enjoy your darts in whatever county that you are throwing in, you did not upset me in any way. Just letting ya know that there are experienced players on her as well as the players who are either starting or otherwise. Please keep posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Brian_Dart

Just started back 2nite after a long time off from playing darts. My throw is all over the place its so frustrating. Any tips on how best to keep your arm from moving... Man I need to play some competitive games!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

Brian_Dart wrote: »
    Just started back 2nite after a long time off from playing darts. My throw is all over the place its so frustrating. Any tips on how best to keep your arm from moving... Man I need to play some competitive games!!

i find after a long break when getting back into it, just aim at the bullbut don't concentrate too hard and focus mainly on the mechanics of your throw. Put all your focus on getting everything smooth and flowing. 10 minutes of this before proper practice for a few days and it'll be back to natural before ya know it.

I'm getting incredibly frustrated with the amount of 5's and 1's I am hitting. I'm hitting more than I ever have and I can't seem to stop doing it. If I could cut that part out of my game then I would be averaging around the 70 mark but at the moment it's arund 60 with the ocasional game around 65.

Driving me crazy! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

im doing the same at the moment, did it in a league match and it cost me the game

i was told if i throw a 1, move along the oche, because my darts tend to follow one another for grouping, so if i move i might break the following of a 1 and stop 22's and make them at least 41's

Fecking crap tonight!:(:(:(

24y2xp4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

im doing the same at the moment, did it in a league match and it cost me the game

i was told if i throw a 1, move along the oche, because my darts tend to follow one another for grouping, so if i move i might break the following of a 1 and stop 22's and make them at least 41's

got a good bit of advice a long while back and it has stood to me, never adjust your throw to compensate for a dart that does not go where you want. What I mean is never aim high because your darts go low, never aim low because they go high, never aim for five to get twenty because when you aim for twenty you get a one. (do you see what i am getting at). Pratice your throw to get what you are aiming at, not moving down the line or throwing high to compensate for a dart that does not go where you want it. practive throwing striaght, get it right and they will go startight (well most of the time)
    The hard bit is doing it, but you have to get it (the throw) right for it to be right.

hope this helps.

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Fecking crap tonight!:(:(:(

24y2xp4.jpg
    I see you are getting used to printing wihtout the printer!!!:):):)

greened wrote: »
    I see you are getting used to printing wihtout the printer!!!:):):)

Cheeky fecker!:D:D That was embarrassing though!:o:D:D

• Advertisement

Gave us all a good laugh. You'll always be remembered for that one!!

Advertisement