Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Talk or Moan About Your Dart Skills Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

~Does N01 record your data?

i have autosave on but im not sure how to view old data through it
    i cant even get the damn program to use the caller plugin, even though it says its enabled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

~Does N01 record your data?

i have autosave on but im not sure how to view old data through it
    i cant even get the damn program to use the caller plugin, even though it says its enabled

I don't know to be honest. I just put together an excel spread sheet so that I can add my numbers as I go along.

It should be interesting to see if I see any improvement as I go along, especially with my dart averages/high outs.

well i went out again tonight

i played 11 sets with computer level 3

i won the first set 4-1 and thought magic, im playing amazing
    in the next 10 sets i continued great scoring
    at the end i had scored
    49 - 100's
    7 - 140's
    1 - 180

i lost 10 sets to 1

i averaged 19.6 per dart, i thought i played well, but i kept getting beaten

i averaged 19.6 per dart, i thought i played well, but i kept getting beaten

Thats the frustrating part about playing the computer. Generally when you are hitting numbers like that you can rattle your opponent a bit, but that doesn't happen with a computer.

aye true, but i think playing the computer represents a top opponent, because top players no matter what they average wont get rattled by a ton, ton 40, they will just respond in kind

so i guess its a lesson learned, i was cruising at 4-1 in the first set, lost the second set 4-3 then the rest of the sets were 4-2 or 4-1 losses

it hurt

a lot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭matty84

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Yeah I would love them mate! Would be perfect for me, really wanna give all the different types a go.

Hi mate sorry for the delay, ill be heading down the post office sometime during next week, so if you still want the flights you can pm your address to me and ill send them 2you
    Cheers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

matty84 wrote: »
    Hi mate sorry for the delay, ill be heading down the post office sometime during next week, so if you still want the flights you can pm your address to me and ill send them 2you
    Cheers

Cheers Matty! I'll pm you my address now.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Cheers Matty! I'll pm you my address now.

Sent them flights out to ye today mate, shud get them by 2moro or wednesday, sent a set of slim,standard,kite,and pears..
    Best of luck pal
    Cheers

Playing well tonight, scoring heavily and regularly in the treble 20
    plenty of ton and ton 40's flying in and it seems i get one 180 a night now

but i could be winning by more legs if i could just hit them damn doubles, really am struggling on them. trying right now to keep a session of double working for myself just switching to the main one's i always leave

16 8 4 2's
    18 9
    20 10

still not hitting them great but i guess practice makes perfect, had a 19 dart leg tonight and i had a 37 dart leg in 1001 which is the equivelent of 2 16 and a half dart legs or a 16 and a 17 dart leg respectively

so when i am hitting them im down in a handful of darts, when im not its 27 and 30 dart legs

nightmare

Playing well tonight, scoring heavily and regularly in the treble 20
    plenty of ton and ton 40's flying in and it seems i get one 180 a night now

but i could be winning by more legs if i could just hit them damn doubles, really am struggling on them. trying right now to keep a session of double working for myself just switching to the main one's i always leave

16 8 4 2's
    18 9
    20 10

still not hitting them great but i guess practice makes perfect, had a 19 dart leg tonight and i had a 37 dart leg in 1001 which is the equivelent of 2 16 and a half dart legs or a 16 and a 17 dart leg respectively

so when i am hitting them im down in a handful of darts, when im not its 27 and 30 dart legs

nightmare

Good darting mate, i was the same myself on the doubles before id be down to a double on 15/16 darts and id be needing 9 or 10 (maybe more) darts to finally nail it..

What i found helpful was improving your hand to eye co-ordination, just pick 1 spot on the board to hit and line it up and try hit it over and over again, you'll be surprised how much your accuracy/concentration/confidence around the dartboard will improve.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

matty84 wrote: »
    Sent them flights out to ye today mate, shud get them by 2moro or wednesday, sent a set of slim,standard,kite,and pears..
    Best of luck pal
    Cheers

Cheers mate, you're a hero! :p Looking forward to giving the different flights a go.

I have been working on throwing the darts straight over the last few nights to try and stop the drift into the 5 or 1. I seem to be getting much better at it, I managed to play a couple of legs without missing the big number at all. I know it's hardly earth shattering but if you can hit a solid 60 everytime to step to the oche then you have a great starting point.

I also seem to be able to hit T19 much easer than T20 lately for some reason. Very tempting to aim for the T19 with first dart but I don't think that's the way to go.

I got those flights in the post today Matty, Cheers!! :)

No problem mate best of luck with them,!!!

I have been trying to throw 20 legs of darts per night, at least three times per week, and I am starting to see an improvement. I am also starting to see where some of my bad habots are starting to creep into my game as well.

1) not pointint the dart straight in my hand
    2) rushing my darts
    3) not keeping an accurate count in my head
    4) not making sure that I always (try to) leave myself a finish
    5) not foccussing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Irish_Call

I was looking at the different setting in dartpro this eve and it looks like you can set up to play games with people online, has anyone tried this? Would anyone be interested in giving this a go?

Yeah I have tried it before, played against Ronan|Raven a few times and it works great.

I would be interested in playinga few games with you, just give me a shout and we can try set it up and organise a time to play!

Kingp35 yes that would be great i hope you give me a chance, when suits for you to give it a go?

Thing is you can type in any score

relies on an aweful lot of honestly

I am looking for the practice don't get out much, it wouldn't be in my interest to not be honest so there will be no problems with me there. I would be hoping everyone would play fair

Thing is you can type in any score

relies on an aweful lot of honestly

Well its all about practice really, I don't see the point in cheating because your only lying to yourself and you will never get better that way. If you lose the game but get in some good practice then it's all good.

I don't think I'm around much this week Irish_Call. Maybe tomorrow night, ill post up here if I'm available.

• Advertisement

ok kingp35 i will keep an eye out for u

I have just moved into a new apartment there recently and finally put up my board last night. I was living in my parents house and my board was in my bedroom which was tiny and I had no room. I have a huge bedroom in my new place so loads of room for my board to and throw. I have already noticed a huge improvement in my game because of the extra space. I dont know what it is, if there is nothing catching my eye and distracting me anymore or something like that but I'm throwing much straighter darts, hitting solid 60's all the time and hit 2 180's and a bucket load of 140's last night.

Does anyone else find they play better when they have more room to throw?

I will be able to practice much more often in my new place too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

How do you become better at darts? What are the basics. Should you have two feet be on the ground or one tilted up? Should you be aiming past your eye? How hard should you be throwing? In terms of practise what is the best way to improve?

All I can seem to hit is 26 28 45 them type of scores. would love to be able to score heavier but not sure how to do it as I have just been throwing amlessly without any real improvement

There really is no set way to stand or throw your darts, it's entirely up to what you feel most comfprtable with. Personally I think the most important thing is to settle on a stance that you are comfortable with and stick with it. Concentrate on standing the exact same way everytime you step to the oche. The same goes for how you hold your darts. Settle on a grip that suits you the most and stick with it again concentrating to to use the exact same grip everytime. If you do this then you will get used to your stance and grip and start to improve your aim. If you do things differently everytime you throw you will never improve.

As for flights, stems etc I would recomment getting a few different types of each and testing them out and see which one suits you the best. It's all trial and error really.

I was like you, I had awful problems throwing the darts straight so they would always go into the 5 or 1 bed. It just took me time to pick a stance and grip that I liked and I practiced and practiced just trying to throw them straight. Once I started to throw straight then I could start aiming for the treble 20.

This is just some basic help, I'm sure some of the other lads will have some better tips than me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

rag2gar wrote: »
    How do you become better at darts? What are the basics. Should you have two feet be on the ground or one tilted up? Should you be aiming past your eye? How hard should you be throwing? In terms of practise what is the best way to improve?

All I can seem to hit is 26 28 45 them type of scores. would love to be able to score heavier but not sure how to do it as I have just been throwing amlessly without any real improvement

first of all if your darts aren't right you'll never do well, experment with a few sets before settling with one. another thing is I was told by some great dart players that if your aiming for the 20 and hitting the 5 or 1 it's actually alrite because your aim is fine. about the feet both should be planted a tilt in your back leg is fine as long as it does'nt leave the ground. the power of your throw depens on the weight of the dart and if your snapping at the dart or following through. the aiming is all about what you feel comfortable with, phil taylor bring the dart up to his eye while the american players don't. i hope this helped you and just keep practising and you'll nearly be as good as me one day:D

ive got a tournament saturday in colmchilles swords, its only a small memorial tournament but i want to get more tournament experience

been playing ok in practice again, but i need to transfer that to the board in a tournament

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I have a very annoying habit of busting checkouts, especially ton-plus ones. First league game a couple of weeks ago, threw against a guy who was a heavy scorer(2 140s in first leg with throw). But he messed up his finishing, I wasn't playing great but solid 50ish average, had 115 left, hit single 4, stepped back re-setup hit treble 20, went for 19 to leave 32 and hit treble 17 - a 115 exactly minus the double. It was my highest score of the match too. Have busted a 105 3 times in a row too.

I tend to throw low as well particularly at bottem half of the board. I noticed when I started really practising hard to double 20 that I caught a lot of singles and trebles, I was catching more tons going to tops then I was going for the treble, very little drift bar the occassional double/single 1 or 5.

I wonder does height come into it, my eye level is dead on for the bull so if I throw at eye level height it might be dropping low as I'm aiming low un-intentionally?

I have the problem of throwing low myself and I would be about the same height. If I need to hit a single 19 to setup a finish I tend to hit alot of D19's because the dart just goes low. It's very annoying because do try and aim high but I always have the feeling I might hit a treble 19 if I aim too high. Same goes for when Im trying to hit single 17 or 16. Sometimes my dart goes so low that I miss the board completely!

Can be very frustrating when this happens and I tend to lose the head a bit :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Im playing absolute GANK at the mo............for the last 2-3 months I have been doing great..........but now the last week or so i seem to having problems with me release...........haven't got the dreaded "D" but a touch maybe.

The league is starting this tuesday aswell :confused: its always the bloomin way isnt it :rolleyes:

A guy in me job who was around the darts scene for years has given me a solution...........of spreading my fingers out on a table and learn from the shoulder heavily on them for a minute or two...........he said he had the same prob years ago and an old circus knife thrower gave him this tip................will try it tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

nhughes100 wrote: »
    had 115 left, hit single 4, stepped back re-setup hit treble 20, went for 19 to leave 32 and hit treble 17 - a 115 exactly minus the double. It was my highest score of the match too. Have busted a 105 3 times in a row too.

I dont know what standard you are but it might be an idea to learn some 'unbustable' combinations.

The best way (all top players will agree) for 115 is 19s first. Hit the treble and you have 58 left, hit the single and you have 96 (leaving the far nicer option of d18 rather than d19).

Another good tip is 91 to 95 (with 3 darts in hand) is a bull shot first. You have slightly better odds of at hitting 25 than a treble which will leave you only needing to hit a single to get a shot for the leg, whereas going for the treble and missing will leave you having to hit a treble to get a shot.

Make sense?, no, me neither! :D

Advertisement