Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Talk or Moan About Your Dart Skills Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

greened wrote: »
    Gave us all a good laugh. You'll always be remembered for that one!!

LOL, I thought I'd be remembered for me user name!:D:D Ah well!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

greened wrote: »
    got a good bit of advice a long while back and it has stood to me, never adjust your throw to compensate for a dart that does not go where you want. What I mean is never aim high because your darts go low, never aim low because they go high, never aim for five to get twenty because when you aim for twenty you get a one. (do you see what i am getting at). Pratice your throw to get what you are aiming at, not moving down the line or throwing high to compensate for a dart that does not go where you want it. practive throwing striaght, get it right and they will go startight (well most of the time)
    The hard bit is doing it, but you have to get it (the throw) right for it to be right.

hope this helps.

Yeah I get what your saying but what mick was conveying was that my throw the darts tend to follow each other closely when I'm throwing well, but id the first goes in the 1 I should shift my body or move ever so slightly down the oche and them aim ap normal, I'd thinks the shift will help stop the second following the first one into the one, I can see his point but I can also see yours, I definitely need more practice but in all but fed up of practicing alone, so my practice time has dropped drastically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

Yeah I get what your saying but what mick was conveying was that my throw the darts tend to follow each other closely when I'm throwing well, but id the first goes in the 1 I should shift my body or move ever so slightly down the oche and them aim ap normal, I'd thinks the shift will help stop the second following the first one into the one, I can see his point but I can also see yours, I definitely need more practice but in all but fed up of practicing alone, so my practice time has dropped drastically

just my opinion but you'd be best imho to move your back foot like a rudder so to speak instead of moving down the oche and breaking your concentration on the target.

That said Connie finnan moves all over the oche when playing and it does him no harm.

have to say darts is a funny old game

i bought a new set of darts at citywest, just to try something a bit heavier with a knurled grip, so i was using them tonight, they were decent, good few ton's 2 or 3 140's and some decent 80-120 checkouts, towards the end of practicing with them i started going into the 5's and 1's a bit more and i got thick

so i said right, i'll pick up my old darts, ive a league match tomorrow, i really shouldnt play with a new set in the league

so i picked up the old darts and everything was right, very few 1's and 5's, almost immendiately a 180, i was playing level 5 of N01 at the time and went on a run of a few legs in a row with 19,20,17 dart legs

then i hit a 13 darter, that my best ever leg of darts personally

140,140,81,100, Tops

so my old darts continue to frustrate me, i was ready to throw them away after a couple of weeks of bad darts

doubles, doubles, doubles.....
    funny old game indeed just look at this.........

me vs no1 lvl 4 best of 9 sets.

Score - Me 0 - 5 NO1
    Set 1 - 1v3
    Set 2 - 0v3
    Set 3 - 1v3
    Set 4 - 0v3
    Set 5 - 0v3

Thats 2v15 in legs lol.

My stats
    Best Leg - 14 darts
    Worst Leg - 29 darts.

100+ 14
    140+ 3
    180s 1
    High Out 42

3 Dart Ave: 54.06
    First 9 Ave: 67.43
    Checkout%: 4.08 (2/49)

Anyone ever had that lol.... In the 3rd set I had a first 9 average of 82 and an overall average of 64 including the 14 darter (which was 100,76,180,129 and 2 darts for D8)......

• Advertisement

padr81 wrote: »
    doubles, doubles, doubles.....
    funny old game indeed just look at this.........

me vs no1 lvl 4 best of 9 sets.

Score - Me 0 - 5 NO1
    Set 1 - 1v3
    Set 2 - 0v3
    Set 3 - 1v3
    Set 4 - 0v3
    Set 5 - 0v3

Thats 2v15 in legs lol.

My stats
    Best Leg - 14 darts
    Worst Leg - 29 darts.

100+ 14
    140+ 3
    180s 1
    High Out 42

3 Dart Ave: 54.06
    First 9 Ave: 67.43
    Checkout%: 4.08 (2/49)

Anyone ever had that lol.... In the 3rd set I had a first 9 average of 82 and an overall average of 64 including the 14 darter (which was 100,76,180,129 and 2 darts for D8)......

Fecking doubles, How many levels have you got on your n01 Padr? Thought you would have been playing against level 7 or something!

12 Rat, normally I play level 6 or 7 but i've bein struggling since monday and though i'd start at level 3 yesterday, the idea was beat level 3 5-0 on wednesday, level 4 5-0 on thursday, level 5 friday and be back to my best for the weekend.

Not too dissapointed with the scoring average as I had alot of 26's in the first 2 sets just i've never struggled like that on doubles before.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Well lads I had my first game for The Ivory Monday night team last night in a friendly against The Gallops Tuesday night team. I managed to win my match 2-0 which I'm happy about but I was terrible on my doubles!

First leg I was on for an 18 darter, i was sitting on a double and he still had 200 odd left. I missed loads and let him chip away until finally checked out with him waiting to have his first shot at double. Exact same thing happened in the next leg.

Nothing wrong my scoring but I was very nervous and the nerves really kicked in when i got the doubles. If I do that on Monday night I will be hammered!

Anyone any advice how to calm the nerves down?

Feeling just like that meself, I'm dreading Monday but also looking forward to it at the same! I can't help you here mate!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Feeling just like that meself, I'm dreading Monday but also looking forward to it at the same! I can't help you here mate!

Yeah I'm the same. Looking forward and dreading it. I have never even seen a Monday night match before so I don't know what the standard is like. If I can't calm myself down though I'm gonna find it very tough. Will prob take us a few weeks to settle into it Rat.

Wonder when I'm playing you? :)

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm the same. Looking forward and dreading it. I have never even seen a Monday night match before so I don't know what the standard is like. If I can't myself down though I'm gonna find it very tough. Will prob take us a few weeks to settle into it Rat.

Wonder when I'm playing you? :)

Hopefully only a few weeks! Hopefully our teams play each other soon, should be good. Have a board up in work now, I'll be practising like a mad thing tonight! Hurry up monday.

I'm starting to settle into playing in front of people now, I wasn't nearly as nervous last night and I scored very well and ended up winning my match 2-1. I should have won 2-0 but missed doubles in the first leg. Delighted with my start as a pub player, I have won 2 out of 2 :)
    Definite room for improvement on my doubles though as again they let me down a bit but the confidence is high now and I can't to play again on Monday. Loving the experience I'm getting and hopefully it will make me a better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

I'm starting to settle into playing in front of people now, I wasn't nearly as nervous last night and I scored very well and ended up winning my match 2-1. I should have won 2-0 but missed doubles in the first leg. Delighted with my start as a pub player, I have won 2 out of 2 :)
    Definite room for improvement on my doubles though as again they let me down a bit but the confidence is high now and I can't to play again on Monday. Loving the experience I'm getting and hopefully it will make me a better player.
    Well done...onwards and upward !

Did not get into the first 8 last night but I played alright in practise, nerves seem to be going playing infront of people and my first league game will be soon!:)

Good to see your playing well KingP!

League match tonight, hopefully a good practice night to keep me in good stead for the players championship Sunday, practiced every day this week which is a first for me. Hope I Iet to play and maybe chalk up a confidence booster. Would love to get some points this year, last year I hot tough first round draws in my first games.

Good luck Dion, let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

Fair play mate, keep up the good work. might have a shark here:p:p

made about my 10th final of the year last night and lost again. 1st round won 2-0, 2nd rnd won 2-0, 1/4 final won 2-0, semi's won 2-0 and final lost 1-3 after going 2-0 down.

Averaged around 65-70 for the night cept the final where I was closer to 55 or 60. Well disappointed as I really felt it was there for the taking.

Unlucky Padr, sounds like the final losses are playing on your mind a bit. All you need is that first win and I'm sure plenty more will follow.

hopefully, that said i've being in 10 finals outta about 70 comps (1-2 a week) so the 1st rounds are a killer too.

• Advertisement

Thanks Kingp, the opposition didnt turn up

was very tired in kilkenny today, got beaten 5-1, threw very solid but couldnt buy a treble

onwards to abbeyleix

just home from the INDO half ranked in sligo. got beat 4-3 by a Sligo county player in the last 32, should of won 4-2. played poorly tbh though, up and down. Went 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 up but couldn't get over the line. finished very well though when i got a chance, Was happy with that as I finished 72, 66 and 84 all in 2 darts.

My heads not right for tonight League match so I am not too optimistic. Work are screwing me around. I can't get paid until I get myself a Tax Clearance Cert which is seemingly very hard to do and it is wrecking my head. Throwing a few darts here and I'm all over the shop. Not good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Hi lads, I just wanted to share my story with you, it isn't worthy of a new thread so I decided to put it in here. I've just convinced a friend of mine who is a lefty that you can buy left handed darts, should I let him go in to the shop and ask about them or save him from the embarrassment:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

JokerD wrote: »
    Hi lads, I just wanted to share my story with you, it isn't worthy of a new thread so I decided to put it in here. I've just convinced a friend of mine who is a lefty that you can buy left handed darts, should I let him go in to the shop and ask about them or save him from the embarrassment:D

let him go into the shop, that would be priceless:D

JokerD wrote: »

Quality Joker, definitely let him do it!

Think I might pack the game in! So p!ssed off at the moment!:mad::mad:

We've all been there rat

how you react now defines how you will be as a player

so you lose a few games, listen ive played 7 players championships and not won any games, but each time i play better and better, ive played tournaments with mixed form

but when i hit a bad patch, i knuckle down, roll my sleeves up and keep digging in. i hit such a patch a few weeks ago, got through it and im back throwing decent darts now

Cheers Dion, just not liking it at the moment, nerves still affecting me while practising with me team mates, I'll give it another few weeks and if nothing changes I'm packing it in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Think I might pack the game in! So p!ssed off at the moment!:mad::mad:

NOOOOOOOOOO! as dioniseire said we have all been there.........i started off playing tuesday darts.........lost me 1st 5 game.......every game I was at the double 1st......just couldnt finish....then evenually got a win.......great feeling.........im going through a bit of bad patch meself at the mo.....but im gonna do as above says and knuckle down.

Keep the head up mate and keep the practicing going.

Advertisement