Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Talk or Moan About Your Dart Skills Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

dont, go to the matches and lose

its the only way you'll learn, its one thing to play N01, its another to play real people

now a lot of people talk big numbers on this board and thats fine, you hit them in practice, good luck to ya, but its the guy who translates it to the big game that wins a match

I got to every players championship (€30 a head) i will play in the whitehouse on sunday (€20) and probably head over to the nogging, i play with Colmchilles on the friday trying to follow the likes of Jacko, Mick and Mark Howard who are immense throwers, talk about pressure

But the only way to get rid of the nerves, handle the pressure is play play play play play, every tournament, enter it and get knocked out first round, small charity tournament, enter it and get bashed, dont worry about the results right now, dont even focus on hitting tons, aim for the big 20 and focus on scoring 60 with your throws and you'll handle most average players and get shots at doubles

since playing so many tournaments i find myself not nervous playing now and just getting unlucky that im not hitting any trebles or i struggle on a double, i lost 5-1 in kilkenny on sunday, i only got 1 shot at a double and had to step across the ocheto where there was no oche to shoot at it because i blocked my view of the double, but i hit it, no nerves, just got my chance and took it because im used to being under the kosh because all the players at this level are great players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Here is what happened last night, played crap while practising last night, barely hit the board sometimes so I went to practise on the other board in the club, stupid thing as me captain will not pick if he does not se me playing. Got out to the Noggin Inn and asked my captain to not pick me, got up to practise and I started hitting some nice darts, then I asked to play, stupid carry on my part. I can really understand now not being picked! I better sort me head out, do I wan't to play for the team or not!

you do want to play for the team your just nervous and dont want to let people down, understandable, but dont throw in the towel for one night

from now on dont say a thing to your captain about weather you want to play or not, let it be assumed you always want to play, and when your practicing practice as if you are going to play, and let your darts do the talking, if he doesnt pick you one week, head up and practice again for next week, when you do get picked, relax, throw your darts and give a good reason to get picked again next week

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Great advice from Dion.

I seem to be able to control my nerves for the most part now. My scoring has been very good in all of the matches I have played but my doubles have been rubbish. If it wasn't for my scoring putting me so far ahead I wouldn't have won my first two matches. Last night my rubbish doubles caught up on me. I missed 12 darts at double 5 to win my match and I ended up losing. I was fuming last night because I threw it away and let the team down.

Thing is though I know that on my day I can hit it so I am just going to knuckle down and practice to make sure I don't miss them next week. It's the only thing you can. A defeat is just as good as a win because it makes you notice where you are going wrong and should give you the drive to fix it.

You can't win every match but can take something from every match that will help to improve your game.

Stick at it Rat, you could beat me on Monday ;)

Cheers lads, I'll try me best to stick at it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

we were all nervous when we started,i remember seeing the flights trembling like mad when i first started.the only way to get over it is to keep playing and eventually you get over the nerves.when you do get you're first game dont be worried about losing and letting you're team down,they're good lads out there they'll understand what you're going through and know when you get going it can only be good for the team.

DFD wrote: »
    we were all nervous when we started,i remember seeing the flights trembling like mad when i first started.the only way to get over it is to keep playing and eventually you get over the nerves.when you do get you're first game dont be worried about losing and letting you're team down,they're good lads out there they'll understand what you're going through and know when you get going it can only be good for the team.

Cheers John, appriciate that and they are a great bunch of lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Think I might pack the game in! So p!ssed off at the moment!:mad::mad:

Its a big change going from the house to the pub and than from the pub to the next level. I lost my first 8 team games in a row this season due to putting myself under unnecessary pressure and I had plenty of singles experience. Basically I was trying to hard to win for my team mates and felt losing was letting my team, pub and friends down. yes its frustrating but the only thing to do is keep putting yourself up on the line as much as possible and every week it gets easier. Since preseason has ended I've only lost one of four in the actual season.

I've being lucky enough to pick the brains of plenty of good experienced throwers and they all reckon it took about 5-6 years of playing in public to be able to consistently play their top game in public.
    Unfortunately its a case of taking your beating accepting your going to fall apart a few times and gaining the experience long term so you steady up.

If your a good player (which you are) it'll come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Some great advice there lads fair play, to ratinakeg in one of your posts you said you started to throw well when you asked your captain not to play you, that tells me you started to play your usual darts when you knew you hadnt got to play, id say your over-thinking it too much(im guilty of that myself:rolleyes:)

Get the confidence back and start enjoying it!

Im starting to play well after adjusting my throw slightly (extendng my arm a bit more lining up the dart as i had a problem with the flight rubbing off my cheek:eek:) had a game of bobs 27 on dartpro and finished with a score of 295 with a 28.57% of doubles hit thats my best score on it to date so happy days:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

Strangely enough playing in a league can be harder sometimes than being in a big single hand. In the league you are throwing for your mates and maybe have the hopes of 6/8 other guys on your back. If your'e fairly handy then they might expect even more from you and you could have the ''I mustn't let the lads down'' syndrome. Whereas as in a singles no matter how big you'll really be the only one that will remember the result the next day. The league is a great levelling place should not be underestimated as it is a good place to learn to deal with pressure.

• Advertisement

Cheers lads, really appriciate the great advice.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

My practice sessions have been rubbish lately because I am so tired when I get home from work. Just threw for a half hour there and the darts were all over the place. It's very annoying when you don't have the energy to put in a session!

http://sewa-darts.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=MostPopular

Here KingP

try some of these practice things to try and keep your concentration for a specific task

Cheers Dion, I'll have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

Are you going on Sunday Aidan?

AndyP wrote: »
    Are you going on Sunday Aidan?
    How much is it to enter andy

20 notes I think. All the information here...

Its a good spot for a big competition too.

20 notes I think. All the information here...

Its a good spot for a big competition too.
    Cheers mate me and glenn are gonna head out, its graham here from the tournaments in the patriots

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Cheers mate me and glenn are gonna head out, its graham here from the tournaments in the patriots

Ah good stuff, looking forward to it, gonna be a good laugh.

Yeah Andy i'll be there in the whitehouse for sure, always enjoy the whitehouse tournaments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.T.D Ste

will be there myself

excellent, good man ste, i hope i get one of yis, sick of getting all the good players first round :D

ah no should be good, looking to make the final of my board again, hopefully wont encounter too good a player before then

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.T.D Ste

yeah i hope to do better in this then i did in the tom kirby memoral where i got to the last 16 .

ever since i got word that i've been added to the dublin panel for the leinsters and all irelands my darts have improved top marks which they always do when i recieve a new challange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭MACK DE KNIFE

S.T.D Ste wrote: »
    yeah i hope to do better in this then i did in the tom kirby memoral where i got to the last 16 .

ever since i got word that i've been added to the dublin panel for the leinsters and all irelands my darts have improved top marks which they always do when i recieve a new challange

the barrel and ben fitz beat 2 world champions eric bristow & keith deller, best of luck ste;).......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭MACK DE KNIFE

excellent, good man ste, i hope i get one of yis, sick of getting all the good players first round :D

ah no should be good, looking to make the final of my board again, hopefully wont encounter too good a player before then

my money is on the barrel:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

I'll be there. well up for it, throwing very well right now

Ah excellent, good to see some of you boys heading to these tournaments

Just back from our league night, 6-0 win for us, i didnt play to let my dad play but in practice i was bashing the board out of it, i'll do a light practice tomorrow and hopefully i'll drag that form into sunday

Lads sorry if i sound silly but is this tournament tommorrow neat dress essential?

No, and you sound silly all the time.

• Advertisement

No, and you sound silly all the time.
    :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement