Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Talk or Moan About Your Dart Skills Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 diversinc

u did the right thing.. i was throwing horribly tonite.. 26.. 11.. you know those haunting throws.. took a break.and came back on and git the line and noticed my wrist wasnt back enough and started hittin my 60. 100. 140..up and down.. sometimes its jus something slightly off that u may not pick up.. but thing is to stop practicing bad darts..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

Just had a brilliant game in the league. he was the fastest player i have ever seen and i have to say that i did do a very rookie move and copy his speed,lost the first leg but then in thesecond leg i slowed myself right down and opened with a 180,100,100 missed the bull on the 121....finally finished on D2, lost the decider but really enjoyed the game. i am usually a fast thrower but when i slowed myself down i threw some great darts so i think i might try and throw slower from now on seem's to work for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Lost in the tournament on sunday in my first game to William O Connor's younger brother

I threw what for me was epic darts, i was twice on a 13 darter, i hit ton's and ton 40's throughout the match comfortably. i did however struggle a litle on my doubles

at 2-1 to him,i left myself on 56 he hits a 137 to leave himself 16, i miss my 2 at tops and he checks out.

i got it to 3-2 in the next leg and then threw 12 darters leaving me on 40, he hits a 180 to leave 90, i miss my 3 at tops, he hits T20 D15 to win the match.

He hit his big scores at just the right time which helped him snatch legs, but i had 2-3 darts in lost legs to win it.

Shocked i played so well but also a tad irked that i didnt hit my doubles better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Dying with a hangover today after a good night in which I got me first game but lost it! At least that is the first hurdle out of the way, can't wait for the next game!

Dont worry about the loss, take the match as experience, next win a leg, then win a match and then power onwards

thats what im doing and ive never been happier throwing darts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

whats being working for me is constantly reminding myself its only a game of darts before every throw. Really theres nothing on it, I mean worst case scenario is you lose and no one really cares. It works too. I played well Friday night but lost first round and its the first time I've never being annoyed after missing a few doubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Jay.cymru

6 darts to win what would of been my 3rd win out of 4 for the season last night and dya think i could hit double 10, not even close :mad::mad::mad:

know the feeling had 6 at tops in one leg on sunday, the most i threw the further they got

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Bit of a mixed bag for me last night, scored well and bit dodgy on doubles. Still I'm happy that I got a win and team did well.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Bit of a mixed bag for me last night, scored well and bit dodgy on doubles. Still I'm happy that I got a win and team did well.

Great night last night, I'm a bit disapointed with how I played but things can only get better!:D Well played mate! Don't know if the score should be 5-3 or 6-2 as you's only had 7 players? I'll dying with a hangover!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Great night last night, I'm a bit disapointed with how I played but things can only get better!:D Well played mate! Don't know if the score should be 5-3 or 6-2 as you's only had 7 players? I'll dying with a hangover!:D

Your captain was sound and put it at 5-3 because I managed to win the 8th game.

You have got your first game out of the way now rat and your still alive so you will kick on now! Hope you grab a win next week.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Your captain was sound and put it at 5-3 because I managed to win the 8th game.

You have got your first game out of the way now rat and your still alive so you will kick on now! Hope you grab a win next week.

Ah fair play to Barry, cheers kingp, got a bit angry when I hit a bad score, hit to many 45's and 41's, I'll be better next week!:D

No point in getting angry as you cant change whats happened, just try and make the next dart count

you'll take many a beating and a couple of nicked wins before you settle properly, im in my second season now and only now am i feeling comfortable

No point in getting angry as you cant change whats happened, just try and make the next dart count

you'll take many a beating and a couple of nicked wins before you settle properly, im in my second season now and only now am i feeling comfortable

Cheers again! Was told last night the exact same thing! I'll try to calm down a bit more!:D Hopefully that win will come along soon!

Lol rat you should have seen the darts i threw on sunday, probably the best darts ive ever thrown, was on a 13 darter twice, the 2 legs i won were 13 and 15 dart legs, i missed 3 at tops when on a 13 darter to make it 3-3 and the guy hit 180 then 90 checkout

Literally i threw what i would describe as above my level darts and lost 4-2

you can only laugh at that ya know

Lol rat you should have seen the darts i threw on sunday, probably the best darts ive ever thrown, was on a 13 darter twice, the 2 legs i won were 13 and 15 dart legs, i missed 3 at tops when on a 13 darter to make it 3-3 and the guy hit 180 then 90 checkout

Literally i threw what i would describe as above my level darts and lost 4-2

you can only laugh at that ya know

Well played, good to hear!:)

Doubleoneitis again last night for me. Won the doubles comfortably myself and my partner throwing steady darts and I finished both legs 1st or 2nd darts.
    Into the singles and I scored really well 85, 100, 100, 60, 99, to leave 57. Was trying to go 25 D16, hit 25 D8, D16 to bust it the first time. Next time said I'll go 17 tops as my opponent left himself 167. T17, 3, 1. From them on I had at least 21 darts at Dbl 1 before losing. 2 darts bounced right out of the dbl, not the wire, clean outta the centre of the double (same thing happened a couple of players on D1 last night so it must be the board). Still we won 5-4 overall so I'm fairly happy with the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

padr81 wrote: »
    Doubleoneitis again last night for me. Won the doubles comfortably myself and my partner throwing steady darts and I finished both legs 1st or 2nd darts.
    Into the singles and I scored really well 85, 100, 100, 60, 99, to leave 57. Was trying to go 25 D16, hit 25 D8, D16 to bust it the first time. Next time said I'll go 17 tops as my opponent left himself 167. T17, 3, 1. From them on I had at least 21 darts at Dbl 1 before losing. 2 darts bounced right out of the dbl, not the wire, clean outta the centre of the double (same thing happened a couple of players on D1 last night so it must be the board). Still we won 5-4 overall so I'm fairly happy with the result.
    One question padr why did you go 25 d16 with 57 left??Never seen anybody go that route before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

It is the wrong shot completely. You should never turn down a big number for a pint at a double.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    One question padr why did you go 25 d16 with 57 left??Never seen anybody go that route before

cause my opponent was on 211 and I really like D16, usually pin it first dart. Hit it twice in the doubles.

I've not being hitting tops lately and had a gut feeling I'd hit the T17 (which turned out to be right). So either way I'd of put myself on an uncomfortable double going for 17 and I was 100% confident in taking out the 57 the other way.

Just a confidence thing really, if i'm playing well and my opponent ain't on a finish I always go 25, D16 as I very rarely finish on anything other than 16s, 8's or 4's.

• Advertisement

There all the same size padr, saying you have a favourite means you close your mind to other doubles and you try outshots like 25 D16, which is INFINITELY harder to do than LARGE 17, D20

Forget about what you did recently, thats irrelevant, your next 3 darts could all go into D20

I couldnt hit D20 to save my life on sunday at the competition, had i hit it i'd have won with ease. I was practicing last night with Dylan from the team, D20 was going in first time every time, i even did 80 = tops tops

I dont think about the doubles anymore, weather its D3 or D13 or tops, all the same size, if i can hit a D16, then there's no reason why i cant hit a D7 or D19, they are right beside.

From reading your previous posts i get the impression your quite a decent player, i would never be afraid of any of the doubles if you play to a good standard, 2 darts in hand, your 75% more likely to checkout 57 the 17 route than taking a chance on hitting bull and having to split 7, or missing 25 and having to square up, both times leaving yourself with only 1 dart at a double.

My dad plays darts with me a lot, and when i try to checkout the wrong way i get given out to (i know, 25 year old getting a bollocking for going his own way) but he has forced me to go the smart route with my checkouts where possible.
    what he hates tho is when i go my way and do it
    like the other day i had 80 against him
    20, 20 tops would be the standard,
    if your showing off tops tops perhaps

i went for the single 20 and hit a 5, Balls says you, 75 left how would you have gone out with 2 darts

when you reply i'll tell you my dads route and my route

i went for the single 20 and hit a 5, Balls says you, 75 left how would you have gone out with 2 darts

T17 then D12 would be my usual route from 75 with 2 in hand.

Depending on the situation, and VERY rarely, I would go 25 then bull.

2 darts for 75 i'd say i'd be going 25, bull cause the 25 is bigger than the treble and i use the bull alot. I always go the bull on 91-95 as well with 3 darts.

Well this time i went Padr's route but i KNEW i should have been going with 17, because you hit single 17, you then hit 18 to leave tops, that smart darts when not under pressure

But i went 25, Bull this time because my dad had taken out 124 on the bull in the previous leg

I hit, 5, then 25, he said thats the wrong way to check it out
    so i stopped and turned and said, please now, im throwing, dont be distracting me
    Turned back around, steadied, BULL

He laughed, he knew, i knew, all darts players know its the gamble of a way to go, but it came off this time

In a league match, if i was under pressure, i'd be tempted to give myself that shot at the bull. If i wasnt under any pressure, 17 every time

i think thats the better shot with 2 darts for 75 though, as your not adjusting much between targets, the 25 is far bigger than the T17 and theres something about leaving the bull that makes me more likely to check it out, hard to explain it.

3 darts you'd always go t17 or with an opponet not on a finish I'd do the same to leave a handy double.

there really is something about 17 for 57, I always hit the treble can't explain it really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

75 left i always go for T13 D18.

MBC wrote: »
    I go that way with 3 darts in my hand all the time, but with 2 darts left and ive 75 and my opponent is on a finish, its single bull double bull all day long, no brainer

Anyone ever notice merv king when he's 80 left he'll always go t16 d16 even when he has 3 darts left, I always find that baffling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

MBC wrote: »
    Gringo180 wrote: »
    I go that way with 3 darts in my hand all the time,

Wrong wrong wrong!!!:)

Going for t13 and hitting a single leaves you either s12 for a bull shot or hoping to hit a treble (probably 10s) for a shot at a double.

t17 leaves d12 and even s17 means you have a shot at big 18 to leave tops.

Its all about the percentages lads, seen so many good players holding their progress back with poor counting. No excuse for it, all players should know their shots, esp. the best shot to go for under pressure, like bull start on 90-95.

mervin king goes for t16 alot. even with 56 left he goes t16 d4 (something I like myself) and with 84 he goes t16 as well (although many would argue thats the right shot)

• Advertisement

Just won my first league game 2-0 tonight delighted the way i played scored well and didnt mess around on my doubles, quality side we have and the past 3 or 4 weeks ive improved dramatically and its all down to playing against better players, already looking forward to our next match bring it on:D:D

Advertisement