Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Talk or Moan About Your Dart Skills Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

lads it is all about being fresh for your game and also quality practice. You could practice for hours but unless you are recording all scores or setting yourself a target it is hard to really say that you were great in practice.
    When I get a chance to practice I usually play 501 games, which I mark in my head as I am throwing. After a practice session you usally think your darts are going well, because we all like to think we are doing well.
    What I started to do a few years back was after you are warmed up, is to write down the number of darts that it takes to finish the game of 501. Only change the number when you finish in less. You will be surprised how many practice sessions (when you are on your own) that you think you are playing well untill you look at that number and see that it is still 22 to 24 darts. Throwing like this will not win a league game for you, but I firmly believe that if you dont do something to record the standard of your practice you will alway think it was a great practice session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

greened wrote: »
    lads it is all about being fresh for your game and also quality practice. You could practice for hours but unless you are recording all scores or setting yourself a target it is hard to really say that you were great in practice.
    When I get a chance to practice I usually play 501 games, which I mark in my head as I am throwing. After a practice session you usally think your darts are going well, because we all like to think we are doing well.
    What I started to do a few years back was after you are warmed up, is to write down the number of darts that it takes to finish the game of 501. Only change the number when you finish in less. You will be surprised how many practice sessions (when you are on your own) that you think you are playing well untill you look at that number and see that it is still 22 to 24 darts. Throwing like this will not win a league game for you, but I firmly believe that if you dont do something to record the standard of your practice you will alway think it was a great practice session.

Cheers for the advice!:) I also play that 501 game doing the scores in my head but don't always practise my scoring, I mostly play around the board on doubles 1-bull, maybe I should concentrate more on me scoring!

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice!:) I also play that 501 game doing the scores in my head but don't always practise my scoring, I mostly play around the board on doubles 1-bull, maybe I should concentrate more on me scoring!

Thanks Rat, I have not posted for a while but have been checking in and reading. I see a few new members here which is good.
    Practicing doubles is necessary as you need to hit one to win but you wont get a chance at one if you cant score heavily (esp against a good player). Not must good being able to hit a double if you cant get to it quicker than your opponent:mad:.
    I alway find that if your scores are going in you will be confident with your game and your doubles will come naturally (with a small bit of practice).
    I have tried many practice routines but find that if time is tight the best one is to play is 501 and set yourself a target to beat in every game.
    Hitting 13 to 18 dart legs is my target. This will win you most league games which is what we all are looking to do. Throw in a bit of double practice after you have your scoring worked on and it should come together. After that it is all about controlling your emotions when in the big games and just thinking "I am at home.... this dart is going in....etc.

Keep going at them and good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Some very good advice there greened :). Cheers.

We are playing 301 (doubles in/out) in our league games at the moment so that is what I play in practice and try and do it in as few darts as possible. I also practice my doubles and bull afterwards but mostly scoring during the games. Playing games like this in your head will also help your counting I reckon.

I never did try and keep records of how many darts it took me to finish so that is something I will start doing. It would almost make it like you were playing against someone and keep your edge and focus up.

I used to practice at least 2-3 hours a day when I was on top form around 8 years ago now and I was always in the better of it. Now, anything over a half hour and I seem to lose concentration. Must be getting old :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

had an abomination of a day at the rankings last sunday. Started every game with 52, 72 or 112 and finished first dart everytime just couldn't score to save my life. Only took 2 points outta 12 and the legs I won, I was taking out all the low outshots 60-100, just could score, incredibly frustrating as I'm effectively out of the running now unless I win all my games Sunday week.

• Advertisement

D_murph wrote: »
    Some very good advice there greened :). Cheers.

We are playing 301 (doubles in/out) in our league games at the moment so that is what I play in practice and try and do it in as few darts as possible. I also practice my doubles and bull afterwards but mostly scoring during the games. Playing games like this in your head will also help your counting I reckon.

I never did try and keep records of how many darts it took me to finish so that is something I will start doing. It would almost make it like you were playing against someone and keep your edge and focus up.

I used to practice at least 2-3 hours a day when I was on top form around 8 years ago now and I was always in the better of it. Now, anything over a half hour and I seem to lose concentration. Must be getting old :D.

Thanks D_Murph

I also used to play 2-4 hours and sometimes more a day 8 to 10 years ago, but with 3 small children get no where near that in a week now let alone a day! I would also prob lose concentration if I had to practice for that long now, unless I was in a pub drinking pints :):). What i firmly believe is that you should make the most of any practice session no matter how long or short it is. Every darts game is a challenge to beat someone, so practice should be no dfferent..you have to set a target to challenge yourself and beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

This might be a very weird question but i always wondered,are there any soft tip leagues or competition's in ireland?,if no then how come it's so popular over in America and Asia but not in europe?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Double Top wrote: »
    This might be a very weird question but i always wondered,are there any soft tip leagues or competition's in ireland?,if no then how come it's so popular over in America and Asia but not in europe?

Well I know that pubs in Europe have soft-tip boards because it brings in extra money for the pub as you have to pay in order to use the board, lets say €1 a game or something. Probably the same in the States as well. Players just get used to playing soft-tip because of this and so tournaments etc spring up.

That's what I think anyway.

Playing crap tonight while practicing. Next thing I have 61 left in a game of 501 after EIGHT darts. (140, 180, 120 (with first 2 in that throw))so I chose badly and go for a dart at T7 to leave tops knowing that T19 beside it will leave D2. I hit single 7 for a 127 score. I should have gone for T11 to be sure of a shot at a 10 darter but as I said I chose badly. Anyway blew the chance for an 11 darter as I missed tops after getting the single 14 and also 10's with the last dart. I hit D5 with the second in the next throw for a 14.
    Only ever done an 11 once (long time ago) and mad that I did not go the 11's route for at least a shot at the bull for a chance of a 10 which would have been my lowest ever, if I had hit it.

Playing crap tonight while practicing. Next thing I have 61 left in a game of 501 after EIGHT darts. (140, 180, 120 (with first 2 in that throw))so I chose badly and go for a dart at T7 to leave tops knowing that T19 beside it will leave D2. I hit single 7 for a 127 score. I should have gone for T11 to be sure of a shot at a 10 darter but as I said I chose badly. Anyway blew the chance for an 11 darter as I missed tops after getting the single 14 and also 10's with the last dart. I hit D5 with the second in the next throw for a 14.
    Only ever done an 11 once (long time ago) and mad that I did not go the 11's route for at least a shot at the bull for a chance of a 10 which would have been my lowest ever, if I had hit it.

Great darts mate, surprised you did not go 25, d18 when on 61 though!

• Advertisement

Great darts mate, surprised you did not go 25, d18 when on 61 though!

Hate D18

Hate D18

Suppose if you hate it, it seems a bit more logical though! D16 and D18 are my favourites!

Suppose if you hate it, it seems a bit more logical though! D16 and D18 are my favourites!

25 or T11 (miss it hit a single and still have 50 left) are the right shots to go for but as I said I hate D18. Funny enough I never leave D16 either. I would be a good counter during a game but prob would not know all the ways to get to D16!!! as I never go for it. I am a D10 man myself...usually never fails me..famous last words!!! will prob miss it in my next match

25 or T11 (miss it hit a single and still have 50 left) are the right shots to go for but as I said I hate D18. Funny enough I never leave D16 either. I would be a good counter during a game but prob would not know all the ways to get to D16!!! as I never go for it. I am a D10 man myself...usually never fails me..famous last words!!! will prob miss it in my next match

Haha, always happens!:) Hate Tops and D10! Any double down near d10 I hate aswell! They are real feckers sometimes!

Haha, always happens!:) Hate Tops and D10! Any double down near d10 I hate aswell! They are real feckers sometimes!

Each to there own I suppose. does not matter which one it is only that you hit it for the WIN!!

Though semi final of our league on Thursday so trying to get a bit of work in on the board when herself is on nights and kids asleep. Would be impossible to call which of us will win on Thursday as the two teams are that close. We have had the upper hand the last few times we met but only by a dart or 2. It is the game in the league that alll the other teams want to see as one of us are gone out of it after the match!!
    Hoping to get through it as we have won the other 2 leagues this year (there is 3 every season). I have also won the two big memorial tourneys (1 doubles and 1 singles) that are run every year so hoping 4 a clean sweep if we get past this though semi.

How are you going in your league?

Each to there own I suppose. does not matter which one it is only that you hit it for the WIN!!

Though semi final of our league on Thursday so trying to get a bit of work in on the board when herself is on nights and kids asleep. Would be impossible to call which of us will win on Thursday as the two teams are that close. We have had the upper hand the last few times we met but only by a dart or 2. It is the game in the league that alll the other teams want to see as one of us are gone out of it after the match!!
    Hoping to get through it as we have won the other 2 leagues this year (there is 3 every season). I have also won the two big memorial tourneys (1 doubles and 1 singles) that are run every year so hoping 4 a clean sweep if we get past this though semi.

How are you going in your league?

Hope yis win it all! You must play for a top team!

We are doing ok in the league, 6th in the league and we're getting better week by week, pity there is only 3 games left, roll on next year! My first season personally and I've won 10 games, not too bad!:)

:):)
    Hope yis win it all! You must play for a top team!

We are doing ok in the league, 6th in the league and we're getting better week by week, pity there is only 3 games left, roll on next year! My first season personally and I've won 10 games, not too bad!:)

Keep it going that is not a bad record for your first year. Yes we are the team to beat each year but getting harder to maintain the top spot each year as we have got some good young fellows (makes me sound old) coming up each year. We have managed to stay together (3 out of the 4) for about the past 7 to 8 years. That gets us through some though games at times because we all know each other well and know what each other can do on the board. So I suppose we never panic when we go a game or 2 down. Fingers crossed for the semi.

Should really go to bed but have one can of Guiness left:)

:):)

Keep it going that is not a bad record for your first year. Yes we are the team to beat each year but getting harder to maintain the top spot each year as we have got some good young fellows (makes me sound old) coming up each year. We have managed to stay together (3 out of the 4) for about the past 7 to 8 years. That gets us through some though games at times because we all know each other well and know what each other can do on the board. So I suppose we never panic when we go a game or 2 down. Fingers crossed for the semi.

Should really go to bed but have one can of Guiness left:)

Best of luck in the semi old man!:p:D

LOL!:D Only 12 beers left for me, panic stations!;):D

Best of luck in the semi old man!:p:D

LOL!:D Only 12 beers left for me, panic stations!;):D

Old at 35. That nearly as bad as being on your last can!!!

Old at 35. That nearly as bad as being on your last can!!!

You'll be collecting your pension soon!:D I'm savouring my last few months being in me 20's!:(:D

• Advertisement

You'll be collecting your pension soon!:D I'm savouring my last few months being in me 20's!:(:D

That's only if Cowen and the robbing bast*rd's dont do away with it first.

That's only if Cowen and the robbing bast*rd's dont do away with it first.

Totally agree, f#cking w#ankers the lot of them!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

But surely if you hit a single 11, you weren't going for the bull with 3 darts in your hand just for the sake of a 10 darter?

I just saw you were in practice, fair enough!:D Great darts.

Degag wrote: »
    But surely if you hit a single 11, you weren't going for the bull with 3 darts in your hand just for the sake of a 10 darter?

Thanks it was practice so would try for the bull with 3 darts in hand. I am not bad on the bull so would not mind throwing 4 it but if it was a comp I would always go for 10 with the first to give 2 darts a tops.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

Degag wrote: »

I agree although the shot with the 9th dart should of being 25 for double 18 as its a bigger target than any treble, or t15 to leave double 8 as big 15 leaves 46, which means regardless your going to get a dart at tops or 18's for an 11 darter if you go the 10 or a 6 route.

140,180,145,D18
    140,180,165,D8

Thanks, but like i said i chose badly. The 25 is the way to go but I have a hang up on D18 which I should really get over. Tripe 15's is a good call as you have the comfort of 46, which as you said will always leave you with D18 or d20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

:DHave had a 2 week break from darts and am home saturday, cant wait to throw a dart again hopefully the break will do me more good than harm:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 skeletor180

well gringo nice to see someone on a break are you out tommorrow for the singles final and cup final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

well gringo nice to see someone on a break are you out tommorrow for the singles final and cup final
    No Gar im not home until 2moro nite, best of luck and win it for us:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Dicie

Welcome home Gringo... You coming down to the players champ finals for a few pints... I will be available for drinking after the round robin stage

Advertisement