Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Talk or Moan About Your Dart Skills Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Christ, had a league match this evening and before hand myself and two of the lads met tup. In all the legs we played the most darts we used was 28 darts, most legs were low 20's

Went to play the team in the neighbouring town and threw awful crap. one leg I threw I used 54 darts before my opponent finished. Was bulling with myself. I didn't like the board, the fact that there was no light directed on the board or that there was a rubber mat being used as an oche. But my opponent had to throw the same board as I did. Unbelieveably frustrating to lose legs using the same amount of darts I'd usuaully finish two games in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Christ, had a league match this evening and before hand myself and two of the lads met tup. In all the legs we played the most darts we used was 28 darts, most legs were low 20's

Went to play the team in the neighbouring town and threw awful crap. one leg I threw I used 54 darts before my opponent finished. Was bulling with myself. I didn't like the board, the fact that there was no light directed on the board or that there was a rubber mat being used as an oche. But my opponent had to throw the same board as I did. Unbelieveably frustrating to lose legs using the same amount of darts I'd usuaully finish two games in

I'd say your opponent is used to this poor lighting, rubbish board and that rubber mat. By the sounds of it your earlier play with your mates you would beat him 9 times out of 10 with a half decent set up. Hope you can get some revenge!

Ah yeah, just a frustrating night at the board. Think something you have to remember, most players in their 20's, even the pro's, are notoriously inconsistant in their 20's

Gotta just stick with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Anyone find that if they practice too hard before playing, they lose their touch?

I practiced for about 2 hours last friday night before heading out to a tournie and threw some horrendous darts... thinking of going practicing now and give myself a break before going out later.

I've just played 14 legs against the NO1 Level 6 and I'm knackered.
    I was hammered 12-2, but I got a 17 darter to make up for that disappointment. My average was 19.52 (close to my normal average) compared to its 21.39. It also scored 18 100+ and 3 140+ compared to my rubbish 6 100+ and just one 140+. Time for more practice!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I just played best of 15 legs on N01 against the computer on Level 5. I ended up losing 8-4 after playing some horrible darts at the start and coming back strong in the end. I ended up with a pretty poor 18.1 average and he averaged 21.71. I scored 9 100+ and 1 140 and he scored 11 100+ and 2 140's. On the plus side my checkout % was very high at 80%. i hit 4/5 in my doubles so it's pretty obvious that my problem was my scoring. Have to say I am delighted with that %, never got it that high before but I suppose I did only get 5 shots at a double.

That's pretty strange though that the computer had a higher average against me on Level 5 than it did against ratinakeg on Level 6. Whenever I play it on level 6 he usually beats me pretty easy with an average of about 23 or 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Played 2 games of 501 last night and won both games, all though I was happy with my finish, (finishing on tops twice with just 1 dart in each game) I was'nt happy with my scoring. Its normally the last dart of the three whats letting me down at the moment just sliding into the 5. For instance last night 1st dart= t20, 2nd =t20 3rd = 5, I'm just hitting too many 45's and 55's making me abit angry:mad:. I don't know if its a concentration thing or what, anybody out there have a solution for this problem?
    i played darts at a country level in england many years ago and played and won against most of the top international players ,when i played badly i would have a relook at my game ,like am i standing correctly, [legs firm no movement]standing with my arm in line to the board,and when i throw is my body moving,remember your eyes have to compensate for not just the distance but also for your body movement , think like a darts machine,one more tip do not look at your apponents score,play your own game-i have even had a warning for throwing two darts then having a drink of my pint before throwing the other,it worked for me - all the best boardies

getz wrote: »
    i played darts at a country level in england many years ago and played and won against most of the top international players ,when i played badly i would have a relook at my game ,like am i standing correctly, [legs firm no movement]standing with my arm in line to the board,and when i throw is my body moving,remember your eyes have to compensate for not just the distance but also for your body movement , think like a darts machine,one more tip do not look at your apponents score,play your own game-i have even had a warning for throwing two darts then having a drink of my pint before throwing the other,it worked for me - all the best boardies

That's some impressive advise, cheers!!

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I just played best of 15 legs on N01 against the computer on Level 5. I ended up losing 8-4 after playing some horrible darts at the start and coming back strong in the end. I ended up with a pretty poor 18.1 average and he averaged 21.71. I scored 9 100+ and 1 140 and he scored 11 100+ and 2 140's. On the plus side my checkout % was very high at 80%. i hit 4/5 in my doubles so it's pretty obvious that my problem was my scoring. Have to say I am delighted with that %, never got it that high before but I suppose I did only get 5 shots at a double.

That's pretty strange though that the computer had a higher average against me on Level 5 than it did against ratinakeg on Level 6. Whenever I play it on level 6 he usually beats me pretty easy with an average of about 23 or 24.

I couldn't answer that one for you KingP, It seemed to have a sequence of good score (eg 100), bad score (eg 26) decent score (60)..... then finished its doubles pretty quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭matty84

I've just played 14 legs against the NO1 Level 6 and I'm knackered.
    I was hammered 12-2, but I got a 17 darter to make up for that disappointment. My average was 19.52 (close to my normal average) compared to its 21.39. It also scored 18 100+ and 3 140+ compared to my rubbish 6 100+ and just one 140+. Time for more practice!

Level 6 only averaged 21.39:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Usually when i play against that level for a laugh it averages around 36 per dart:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

matty84 wrote: »
    Level 6 only averaged 21.39:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Usually when i play against that level for a laugh it averages around 36 per dart:eek::eek:

I think you have the old version of N01. In the new version of N01 the computer has 12 different skill levels. You should get the new version because it's much better.

On the plus side my checkout % was very high at 80%. i hit 4/5 in my doubles so it's pretty obvious that my problem was my scoring. Have to say I am delighted with that %, never got it that high before but I suppose I did only get 5 shots at a double.

How do you get your checkout average? It won't come up for me, obviously because when i checkout it doesn't know how many darts i actually had at a double...

Anyway, i played earlier on, went 4 sets down, first to 5, came back to 4 - 4 but he won the last set.:( I had an average of about 13.5 for first 4 sets but got it up to close to 16 by the end... Had 13 ton pluses, a 140 and 180 too:D

Degag wrote: »
    How do you get your checkout average? It won't come up for me, obviously because when i checkout it doesn't know how many darts i actually had at a double...

Anyway, i played earlier on, went 4 sets down, first to 5, came back to 4 - 4 but he won the last set.:( I had an average of about 13.5 for first 4 sets but got it up to close to 16 by the end... Had 13 ton pluses, a 140 and 180 too:D

When on the main page, click game, go down to option click that then click player, when there you will see a check-out average box, click that and you should be ok.

When on the main page, click game, go down to option click that then click player, when there you will see a check-out average box, click that and you should be ok.

Cool, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

was playing no1 last night and it was one of the most frustrating nights of my live. was playing on level 5 and was scoring better then it every leg, on a finish before it every time but when i went for a double i just couldn't hit them, lost 8-2 with a 8% checkout percentage. 156,143,120, all these missed, first two darts in the trebles last dart always clipped the wire of the double but never went in. finished a 64 (T16 D8) and a 52(S20 D16) but that was it, and just to add insult to injury averaged 85 (higher then the computer) and the two legs i won were 14 and 17 darters:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

I know how you feel. I usually play sets, best of five. I played 10 sets last night on n01 at level 3, so I'd expect to be winning most, but I was all over the place. I won 8-2 but it all sets I lost at least 1 leg. Played 45 legs in total, hitting 45 ton and 9 140's, which is Ok but only managed to average 19.135 and had a check out % of 15.88. Concentration is definitely my biggest issue, the girlfriend was in and out chatting to me and I couldn't get into a rhythm. I suppose it's good practice for a pub environment with distractions all over. Made a real effort to concentrate for the last set and had my best average of the night check out % was only 14.29 but my first 9 darts averaged 29.267 (it went to 5 legs so I'd say that's about my best ever) overall average of 22.934, which I'd be happy enough if I could sustain, although with the first 9 that high I'd hope to be able to do better.

The joy and frustration of the game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

I'm using the new 12 level version of N01 and had an epic match last night, was throwing yesterday afternoon and wasn't going my way so i gave in pretty early, but anyway i said i'd give it another go last night n was dramatically better. I play with most success on level 6 so thats what i went with and started exceptional for me, won the first set 3-0 with a 84 average, had 2 180's in the set alone. Naturally enough the average went down from there but still trhew well. The game ended up with me winnin ghte first 3 sets, losing the next 2 and winning the last 2, real up and down affair but was dead happy with my darts. Finished 5-2 to me and had 32 100+, 12 140+ and 4 180s, and a 70.22 average.
    But again it's the old story for me, last night was great but i could throw today and only have a 55 average and get lashed out of it, ah well the joys of darts...

I have been incredibly steady of late, always averaging between 55-58. i just can't seem to break that 60 barrier because I am miss to many big numbers when trying to score. It's very frustrating. I know once I start to break 60 then I will kick on from there. It's playing on the auld mind too much!

i was the same, before i even knew there was such software as N01 i used to write my scores down for 100 visits to the board, no legs just a straight shoot out and see what my average would be and i used to always score 6250/6300 i.e. 62.5/63 and could never break 65 but then i did one day and from there i've pushed my average for a straight shoot out to 76, 77,78, so it's a mental thing too. i never try force it, try to push it coz it's then that the fat 5's and fat 1's start becoming prominant...

You include hitting doubles in those averages??

• Advertisement

Yeah of course. If you say your average is 60 and you don't include shots at double you're just kidding yourself! That being said I am usually very good on my doubles so there wouldn't be all that much of a difference between my average including doubles and excluding doubles. My problem is too many stray darts into the 5's and 1's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭matty84

Having this problem just lately of wasting darts coming to the end of a leg ie say ive 57 left and going for fat 17 tops, i seem to hit fat 3 or 2 and its so frustrating cos it means im only getting 1 dart at that all important double, and the more i tink about it the worse i get:confused::confused:

I meant for the 100 visits to the board game, sounds like a scoring average game rather than a finishing average

I play a game like that, three darts at every number from 1 to twenty, then three at 25 and three at bull, so 66 darts, aim is to crack 1000

I just played 2 games against the computer in N01 and I had an absolute nightmare on the doubles! I don't know what happened to me today I just couldn't hit a thing. I was scoring pretty well and if I had hit my doubles I would have beaten him easy as I had a shot in nearky every leg. In the first game my percentage was only 9.09% and then in the second game it was worse again at 6.14% even though I ended up with a higher average.

Darts can be a very annoying game at times!

I just played 2 games against the computer in N01 and I had an absolute nightmare on the doubles! I don't know what happened to me today I just couldn't hit a thing. I was scoring pretty well and if I had hit my doubles I would have beaten him easy as I had a shot in nearky every leg. In the first game my percentage was only 9.09% and then in the second game it was worse again at 6.14% even though I ended up with a higher average.

Darts can be a very annoying game at times!

It's a pain in the backside sometimes!
    I played my mate earlier, really poor from both of us, 3 dart average 0f 41.37 from me and 40.27 from him.
    Thank God I won 4-2!

no i dont, i just take 100 visits to the board n try get as high a score as possible, and then calculate a 3 dart average, just a simple thing i do to practice, and then try beat it the next time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Played the Computer in 5 sets of Darts, Each set was first to 3, Computer was Level 6 out of 12

I lost 4 sets to 1, averages 65 in end, computer averaged 69.5

My highest out was 112, his was 65

My Worst Winning leg was 25 darts and best was 17
    His Worst winning leg was 26 darts and best was 15

Some Game

Sounds like you played some top darts in that! Believe it or not I still haven't managed to beat the computer on Level 5 yet! He keeps averaging mid 60's against me and beating me by a couple of legs. Very Annoying.

Aye, i find that 5 and 6 aint to different, slightly higher average, but i mean the difference of a point or 2 in the 60's level is merely hitting a 22 or a 41 instead of a 60, its not hard to make up a point, its 5 or 10 points thats the big one

I threw decent darts and its a new set as ive had to change my dart due to the new one's i got at christmas not having a good enough grip, during a league match i found the dart slipping out of the hand as i was throwing (nerves, pressure, sweaty finger tips) tried to keep my fingers dry but alas no joy. so ive switched and im much happier with the grip on the new ones

that said, im not sure what kind of darts they are, just found them in the house

• Advertisement

Was out again tonight against the computer

played 3 Match, 5 sets in each match

Lost 5-0 in the first one playing frankly aweful darts until the last set. Averaged about 52, only took 2 legs in that one

Lost 4-1 in the second game, playing better darts, but the computer played a stormer

Lost 4-1 in the final one but so many legs i could have and should have won and comfortably won 3-2. Alas i need work on my doubles.

Hit 4 - 180's, 8 - 140's and 34 - 100's during the 3 games

Best Leg 19 Darter
    Worst Leg 35 Darter

Big difference from the other night, stronger scoring weaker checking out.

Highest Out was 71

Advertisement