Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Talk or Moan About Your Dart Skills Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

had a smashing game tonight, honestly have never been happier with the way i played,..

played N01 on level 6, and the computer was playing at the higher end on the level 6 scale. Only had time for a first to 3 set match but first time i can honestly say i finished a match without a moan.
    Won 3 sets to 1, computer averaging 69.88...

I hit 22 100s, 8 140s but alas no 180s, finished with a 73.83 average, my highest ever for a prolonged period of time. I'm actually buzzin' after it, i'm just dreading throwing a 55 average 2moro to bring me down to earth, ha...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

whaaames wrote: »
    had a smashing game tonight, honestly have never been happier with the way i played,..

played N01 on level 6, and the computer was playing at the higher end on the level 6 scale. Only had time for a first to 3 set match but first time i can honestly say i finished a match without a moan.
    Won 3 sets to 1, computer averaging 69.88...

I hit 22 100s, 8 140s but alas no 180s, finished with a 73.83 average, my highest ever for a prolonged period of time. I'm actually buzzin' after it, i'm just dreading throwing a 55 average 2moro to bring me down to earth, ha...
    :cool:
    That's some impressive throwing!
    Even if average 55 or so, you'll be a good pub player!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

whaaames wrote: »

That's an excellent average, if you can average over 60 on a regular basis you would do well on a pub team. If you can average 70 then you would definitely win more matches than you lose. Very good average that, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Finally got a go on this programme, did well on level four when averaging 20.75 over 3 sets

Went at it the day after and averaged 14.75, just goes to show my own inconsistancy, but great being able to monitor your own stats and introduce some pressure to practice

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

Was playing n01 on level 6 on and off all day. Played 10 sets best of 7 legs and won 6-4. 60 legs in total, hit 70 tons 20 140's and 3 180's, High out 101, best leg 16, average 66.57 and checkout 24.63%.

Happy enough with that, checkout % is above average for me and my average scoring is creeping up. Decided to try the narrow flights again yesterday and ended up changing my stance too, partly due to the flights and partly due to a sore back, it seems to be working though. In the last set I won 4-1 and had an average over 75 which I'm delighted with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Was playing n01 on level 6 on and off all day. Played 10 sets best of 7 legs and won 6-4. 60 legs in total, hit 70 tons 20 140's and 3 180's, High out 101, best leg 16, average 66.57 and checkout 24.63%.

Happy enough with that, checkout % is above average for me and my average scoring is creeping up. Decided to try the narrow flights again yesterday and ended up changing my stance too, partly due to the flights and partly due to a sore back, it seems to be working though. In the last set I won 4-1 and had an average over 75 which I'm delighted with.

Serious Darts!:cool:
    Great average considering with the amount of legs and sets you played.

thanks lads, appreciate the support, im gonna start playin a bit in a few competitions and maybe on the team thats startin in my club...

have to say tho i dont always average that, most of the time i finish a match with a 67/68 average, never really less (which is good) but sometimes i can push it over the 70, but again it goes back to the thought that i dunno how my nerve would be in a pub, only one way to find out i suppose...

i am throwing more consistant since i'm playing with N01

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

If you can average that all the time then you would be one of the better pub players. If you average around 60 you would hold your own and you are well above that so you should definitely go and give it a go. I'm a good bit off that at the moment, I'm waiting until I'm hitting over 60 regularily before hitting the competitions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭matty84

Just after playing the computer level 6 on no.1 best of 13 legs eventually winning 7-6 in the end, im not over the moon about my performance but not disappointed either as i hadnt picked up a dart since friday, i had a checkout percentage any pro would be proud of, but just not scoring enough ton+'s and not taking out any big finishes seems to be my problem at the minute, had a 180 in the final leg which i was pleased with as it really sowed up the victory for me..Also lost count how many times i hit 85's/95's:rolleyes:

my stats
    100+s=8
    140+s=3
    180's=1
    highest out=40
    best leg=16
    worst legs=31
    3 dart ave=62.24
    first 9 dart ave=64.64
    checkout % =53.85 7/13

comp stats
    100+s=15
    140+s=3
    180's=1
    highest out=40
    best leg=19
    worst legs=25
    3 dart ave=60.83
    first 9 dart ave=75.51
    checkout % =19.35 6/31

Very good checkout stats for such a long game.

I played today as well and I finished up with a checkout percentage of 36% against the computer having beat him 8-5. It's so annoying though because the last few times I have played my percentage was as low as 6% which is awful but it has also been as high as 83% in a match that I won. It changes so much, i have no consistency on my doubles at all. If I could hit one of of three everytime I would be very happy.

• Advertisement

I think anyone would, 1 in 3 means that you will be taking out most legs without a second bite at it, and who wouldn't take that.

I'm like a yo yo on doubles, theres days when i feel i cant miss (even though i do,ha) and other days when i can't buy a double, even my favorite ones, and this always reflects in my average, i always average over 70 for the first 9, but when i'm off on the doubles it has such an effect...

Finally beat stupid N01 on Level 5 and I didn't just beat him I hammered him 8-3. Everything I threw went in today, I played some very good darts for me. I averaged 59.63 which is very annoying because I finally thought i would break the 60 barrier. I hit 12 100+'s and 2 140's and had a checkout percentage of 34.78 (8/23) with a highest out of 94.

I'm happy enough with that. Bring on the League!

I managed to have a first 9 average over 5 legs just over 90, against a real person last night :D Hitting 140, 140, 100 in the last leg did the job, mind you I still took 17 darts for that leg and my overall average was only just over 60. Felt extra good because the guy I was playing has only just started to play and he keeps nicking legs off me, I was really struggling, trying too hard in the other legs we had played, finally clicked last night and he wasn't best pleased :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Still can't beat level 3... lost 8-6 twice today, which is still quite better than my previous attempts. In the first one i was 5 - 0 down and came back to 5-5 but ran out of steam then. Second one i was 4-2 up and then 6-6... when he went 7-6 up i hit a 180 and a 140 in the last leg but couldn't hit d6 to get a draw.:eek: My checkout was pretty good (for me at least) at 23% and average at only 42 which was what cost me i reckon, considering i've thrown close to a 50 average and lost 8-2 or 8-3... its starting to annoy me now that i can't beat it though.

Degag wrote: »
    Still can't beat level 3... lost 8-6 twice today, which is still quite better than my previous attempts. In the first one i was 5 - 0 down and came back to 5-5 but ran out of steam then. Second one i was 4-2 up and then 6-6... when he went 7-6 up i hit a 180 and a 140 in the last leg but couldn't hit d6 to get a draw.:eek: My checkout was pretty good (for me at least) at 23% and average at only 42 which was what cost me i reckon, considering i've thrown close to a 50 average and lost 8-2 or 8-3... its starting to annoy me now that i can't beat it though.

This was the same as me on level 5. He beat me 7 times in a row before I finally beat him. Just stick at it. A 23% checkout is definitely a good percentage. The only advice I will give you for the scoring which has helped me is to concentrate on keeping the darts in the 20's rather than trying to hit trebles. If you can hit 60's you will do very well. The trebles will come if you can stay in the 20 bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

played a league match last night and i was muck, before the game i was throwing great but the first thing i started playing it all went downhill.
    was all over the place, in the first game had 105 left 20,1,10 couldn't even hit a 15 to leave 70, finally ended on D1 next game picked it up a little bit got a 20 darter. i noticed that i the first game i was throwing much slower then normal and i have no idea why. really drives me crazy when i can put in 14-20 darters on a regular basis but nevwer in a row:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

I'm having a funny little problem, for some strange reason the darts seem to be coming out of my hand funny and sticking funny to the board.

I stand slightly to the right and never move.
    If I throw for D11 the dart should angle slightly to the left if that makes sense.
    Despite me throwing to the left the dart seems to stick in the board with the point to the right and the flight to the left, like its curving in the air.

Yesterday in practice against No.1 I beat it 10-1 on level 5 with a 70 average. Hit 2 16 darters in a row followed by a 14 and worst game was 24 (bar the one i lost in which i didn't finish in 30). Darts stuck perfectly, for my throw.

Against Patrick ten minutes later I averaged 54 and was lucky to scrape a 6-4.with my best being a 24 and worst being a 39 or something. Darts were sticking funny again. I had to ditch the 20's altogether cause i kept hitting T1 and blocking the 20 bed and had to switch to 18's to even start remotely playing.

Same thing Monday at the comp, in the few practice games before hand I threw nothing over 21 and held the board for about half and hour with my darts sticking absolutely perfectly. First round of the comp and I couldn't hit ****e lost 3-0 to a very poor player. Dunno what it was but it certainly wasn't nerves I've beaten the same guy about 10 times in the last 6 months.

Im going to give the big comp a miss tonight over this cause going down there against half the Mayo and Sligo team would only cause me to give up if I threw like that.

thats a bit of a weird one, sounds like a simple thing you could be doing that just causes the dart to alter in flight a bit, like cocking your hand or releasing a small bit later than normal etc.
    I have changed my grip on the dart about 6 or 7 times since i started playing about 6 years ago, i dunno why but i have, and everytime i find a new way of gripping the dart i think thats what ill settle on but for some reason it always ends up getting altered a bit.

but to be honest if i throw 3 darts each of them could enter the board at slightly different angles, and thats real weird but i dont mind once they are hitting the target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

could be in your head, when your playing against the computer or just throwing some practice games you don't really worry if you lose because theres nothing riding on it, but when you play against a friend or in a match you can be nervous without even knowing it, happened with me last tuesday, threw a few games at home and got 3 180's and loads of huge shot out's but when i played the match i was cack.
    maybe your putting to much pressure on yourself and not focusing on your darts but on your throw instead

DT - You could be on to something even though I don't really get the ****s I do tend to focus on making my throw correct in competition as opposed to just throwing if that makes sense. Maybe I'm trying too hard to keep my throw perfect as opposed to just throwing.

On Monday I'm gonna focus on my throw in practice and just throw when it comes to the games, put all my focus on the target and let the hand eye co-ordination do the work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Was out practicing with a young dublin team youth last night in preparation for our league match tonight

twas a good game overall thoroughly enjoyed it and a decent standard of darts

i lost 3-2 in the first set, 3-0 in the second set and 3-1 in the third set

The we played first to 5 and i won 5-1 and then we played first to 3 to finish off and i lost 3-1

overall 13-9 in legs against a very very good player. i was quite happy with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭matty84

Was out practicing with a young dublin team youth last night in preparation for our league match tonight

twas a good game overall thoroughly enjoyed it and a decent standard of darts

i lost 3-2 in the first set, 3-0 in the second set and 3-1 in the third set

The we played first to 5 and i won 5-1 and then we played first to 3 to finish off and i lost 3-1

overall 13-9 in legs against a very very good player. i was quite happy with that

Well played mate no disgrace in losing to a player that gets into his county team, plus it was close as well only 4 legs in it, did you record any averages at all?Gonna play level 6 in a few, on no.1 best of 13 legs ill post up the result/averages when im finished:D

had a good practice session today, played N01 on level 7 for a bit of a test and was going great guns until the computer rattled of 2 17 darters in a row and took out 117 when i was waiting on 28 and i lost 7 legs to 5,..

one of these days ill beat that level 7, although it was a particularly sub par average from the computer at 71.08 on level 7 but i was happy with 68.92...

missed a rake ot fat numbers though on the combination finishes, twice i missed the fat 12 after hitting the treb 19 looking for 101, and thats so infuriating...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

yeah matty he averaged around 67 and me 63. Twas great craic. He is one of the top youths for dublin.

Tonight we had a league match and the cock somehow had mick mcgowan playing for them. Dylan (the youth) got drawn to play mick mcgowan and beat him 2-1 with magic darts. Mick mcgowan was sick. He barely congratulated 15 year old dylan and when mick barry went over to shake his hand he turned his back to him. I always thought mick mcgowan was lovely but after tonight im not a fan of his.

We won 4-2 and have 1 hand on the title. 3 points ahead. 3 games left and we play second place in 2 weeks. Gonna be a great finish to the league. Jacko and mick barry played fantastic darts tonight as did young dylan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Finally beat n01 level 3 tonight 8-3, averaged only 43 and my checkout wasn't great but i took my chances.

Played level 4 for the first time and very respectably i thought, lost 8-5, averaged nearly 50 so i was delighted with that and if my checkout was better i could have taken him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I'm brutal. Just got that n01 program. Currently losing 3-1 vs level 1. My only win was in a 75 darter epic. I just cant hit my doubles at all. Not too bad knocking off the 501 averaging about 40 to get me down to a checkout but from there on it all goes pair shape. Maybe I'll post up a video as i'm sure i'm not holding/throwing properly. Also I need new darts as the flights on my current ones are a bit worn and showing wear and tear.

shoutman wrote: »
    I'm brutal. Just got that n01 program. Currently losing 3-1 vs level 1. My only win was in a 75 darter epic. I just cant hit my doubles at all. Not too bad knocking off the 501 averaging about 40 to get me down to a checkout but from there on it all goes pair shape. Maybe I'll post up a video as i'm sure i'm not holding/throwing properly. Also I need new darts as the flights on my current ones are a bit worn and showing wear and tear.

Theres no proper method on how to throw your darts mate, find a stance that feels comfortable (its different for everyone), and throw a few darts naturally. You'll have a natural throw (everyone does). Stick with this and make sure you stand and throw the exact same way every single time.

Finding the right set of darts will bring your game on no end and I find a heavier dart seems to be more consistent for beginners. i wouldn't advise going above 27 though. Grip is all important too.

After all this things will become easier.

One your comfortable with your throw it'll just come naturally. At this stage pay no attention to your throw and give alll your focus to your target (shoulda taken this advice myself the last couple of weeks).

To be honest I'f Im throwing for a T20 and hit a 1, I'm so focused on the T20 I don't notice the 1 till after all 3 darts are gone.

Another beginner mistake is to compensate for their throw. For example you aim at the 20 and hit the 1. Never than adjust you arm to the right and aim at the 5 to hit the 20. It was your throw that was off not your aim. the next dart will be straighter and so will the next one and so on.

With regards doubles I never encourage a total beginner to go round the board on doubles as it leads to frustration and they usually quit about 5 or 6. Go round the board on big numbers making sure you nail them all, than throw maybe 6 darts at each double and move on whether you hit it or not.

Good advice there. One of the first things I learned was make sure you have a well balanced stance, you should be stable when you throw the dart, with both feet remaining on the ground (I used to have a habit of lifting my back foot).

The easiest way to get your grip is to grip the dart as you would a pen, you can then modify it from there for comfort. My dart grip is practically identical to how I hold a pen, just with my fingers spread slightly further apart.

As was said earlier from there just throw at the board and you'll find a natural action. Rather than trying to score on 20's all the time use the left side of the board, where you have some relatively high numbers grouped together. Also just practice throwing towards the bull, aiming to keep all three darts within the treble ring to begin with, this should help you develop your natural throw and your aiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

shoutman wrote: »

For a total beginner, I've a few words of advice to give. Throw from your elbow, not your wrist/hand. If your elbow is in line with the centre of the board, then some practice will go a long way, it's all down to weight then

If you want to practice doubles as a beginner, do nothing other than practice 32 and 40 check outs, in this way you'll end up shooting at 8 of the doubles on the board anyway.

As far as your stance goes, there is the ideal stance of keeping both feet on the ground, but the main thing is being comfortable - even though he's a bad example, Klassen is well up the WORLD rankings and his entire technique is terrible.

And if you are going to try study a pro's style to give you some pointers, I'd recomment Barney or Jenkins. Wade spins too much, Taylor's is too advanced and specific to his own biomechanics, and Priestly and Part's grip is very unusual. Barney is very natural and Jenkin's is very solid, a great combination

If your throw is all over the place I'll give you some advice that Terry Jenkins gave me: "Hang a piece of thread down the middle of the board and aim for that, once you are hitting near the thread in the 20's then the darts will start falling into the trebles"

Hope that helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 abbococo

Evo, was just thinking about that the other day as to which players have the nicest style. Barney definitely but also looking back at some Lowe on youtube he had a great style. I love the delay in the draw back as it was so controlled and am trying it out.... with varying degrees of sucess!

Watched Mardle in Prem League the other night... can't believe he has made it (kinda) with the steep angle on his darts and the fact it varies massively too.

Advertisement