Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Talk or Moan About Your Dart Skills Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Being over 200 points in the lead against a player who would normally beat you out of sight and then loose due to some of the worst double finishing man has thrown is galling. A right old kick in the nuts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Being over 200 points in the lead against a player who would normally beat you out of sight and then loose due to some of the worst double finishing man has thrown is galling. A right old kick in the nuts.

Tell me about it, happens to me way more often than I would like! And the frustrating thing is that some nights I will hit every doubles first time and the next night I won't hit a thing. Makes no sense and annoys the hell out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

I think darts comes with age by and large, once you get to 30's/40's that's when you gain consistancy

Darts takes years, that's why I enjoy practice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

I think darts comes with age by and large, once you get to 30's/40's that's when you gain consistancy

Darts takes years, that's why I enjoy practice

thats what i'm hoping for, they say darts players mature and steady out in their 30's so im looking foreward to getting better (wishful thinking) ha

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

So does this mean I'm going to have to wait until my 30's before I win the World Championships?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Most likely your 40's

unless your Mardle

it does seem to hold a bit of water that agruement, but i dont think it necessarily refers to age but more so experience, and since experience goes hand in hand with age it probley does carry through that when you hit your 30's (if you've been playing for quite a while) your experience will show through...

but thats the beauty of darts, you can be any age and still be competitive once you practice...

Most likely your 40's

Well at least you agree that I am going to win it so cheers :D

i'd say the day you win the world championships is the day the super leeds win the premiership on the last day, but as a leeds fan i sincerly hope you win it, ha

anyway i just played a game with my mate, messing around more than anything but still it was in the back of my mind that i wasn't throwing particularly well, i'd generally be better than him but he was winning 3-2 before i started really trying and we called it a day with me 7-6 up but it was so frustrating the amount of times i wittled my way down to D1, i hate that number with a passion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

Question Folks.
    When throwing i hit the treble 20 with my first Dart then without any real movement on the next 2 darts i hit the 5 or 1.
    Is there any tips you could give me to correct this.
    Appericate any help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

Declan30 wrote: »
    Question Folks.
    When throwing i hit the treble 20 with my first Dart then without any real movement on the next 2 darts i hit the 5 or 1.
    Is there any tips you could give me to correct this.
    Appericate any help

I think it happens to us all, it's really just about practice an control, there's a slight adrenaline rush when the first goes in and the second will get thrown a little harder or released a little earlier/later. That's the only explanation I can think for it and the only solution is patience, practice and control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

I think it happens to us all, it's really just about practice an control, there's a slight adrenaline rush when the first goes in and the second will get thrown a little harder or released a little earlier/later. That's the only explanation I can think for it and the only solution is patience, practice and control.

Yeah, you're right... whenever i put two in the bed i take an extra half second just to re-focus and correct my stance etc... sometimes i just know that my third dart is going in there after i do this....

i think thats the same with everyone, if the first 2 go in you'll band the third one in 7 or 8 times out of ten, because you've threw 2 perfect darts and you know what you've done and you just need to do it again, and that's savage...

but i have to say the amount of times i've put the first dart in the 60 all ready for 2 bedfellows and ended up with 78 or something is unreal, all to do with concentration i reckon, wish i could listen to my own advice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

whaaames wrote: »
    i think thats the same with everyone, if the first 2 go in you'll band the third one in 7 or 8 times out of ten, because you've threw 2 perfect darts and you know what you've done and you just need to do it again, and that's savage...

but i have to say the amount of times i've put the first dart in the 60 all ready for 2 bedfellows and ended up with 78 or something is unreal, all to do with concentration i reckon, wish i could listen to my own advice...

Ah yeah, when i played ronan raven on sunday i probably put 10 absolutely perfect first darts in the triple bed and couldn't follow it up... once the second one goes in, you usually throw the third in the general direction and end up with a 140 at least a lot of the time

i'd much rather be wide with the first 2 and end up with a ton than put the first one in and know you should've done better. when you're wide with the first 2 and you can readjust and finish with a ton it's great because you know you've controlled your aim and release...

i love when you put the first 2 in the 60 and you just know the third one is going in, you can feel it before you throw it, pity it doesn't happen more often...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭matty84

Just had a great game on no.1 best of 11 legs, beat level6, 5-4 after been 4-1 up at one stage:eek: but kept my composure in the decider to take out 65 with 2darts single bull tops:D:D

Heres the stats

Computer
    tons=7
    100+s=6
    140s=1
    180s=0
    Highest out=40
    best leg=19
    worst leg=25
    average=67.61
    first 9=72.52
    checkout%=40% (4/10)

Me
    tons=11
    100+s=8
    140s=2
    180s=1
    Highest out=65
    best leg=17
    worst leg=25
    average=68,89
    first 9=67.67
    checkout%=50% (5/10)

Really enjoyed this game and at 4-1 up i was averaging in the mid 70s dont think ive played so well ever plus i have noticed a marked improvement in my game since ive changed my stance slightly, instead of having my front foot vertically on the oche i now place it horizontally (toes facing the board)!Mad the way such a slight change can improve your game dramatically!

nice darts mate, checkin' out at 50% and with a 17 darter and a 180 over 11 legs, not bad at all, it's clear to see your finishin' is what won it for you with your first 9 average lower, i'd be in and around that level myself and i always find when you're playing n01 it takes a few legs to get goin n comes back at ya like a frate train, fair play killing the 65 to win it...

about the stance, i done the exact opposite about a year ago, i now stand with the feet 90 degrees from the board n i found it steadied my trhow, funn that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭matty84

Thanks bud but do ya no what is funnier ill go the pub friday night and will throw darts nowhere near that standard its always the same so annoying, maybe have the odd 15-21 dart leg but most will go 25-30darts :mad::mad:

I was atrocious today in my tournament match against death1234567. I think I averaged about 51 or 52 but I have been averaging close to and over 60 lately. i had just come back from the gym an hour before so I'm using the excuse that I was tired but nothing went my way. Really had to concentrate on keeping the dart in the 20 and forget about aiming for the treble.

I hate when you have a day where nothing goes for you at all. I don't understand it at all.

thats the thing about darts, for some reason your performance changes day to day, sometimes you're buzzin' n really feel confident goin for every target on the board n other times you couldn't hit the bull of it was the size of an apple, it's real weird...but when it's goin well n your throwing well you could throw for hours no bother, but when it's not you just wanna lob the darts out the window...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I've got to improve my game from 200 down. Played on Sunday night, down to 200 exactly in 12 darts, lovely jubbly, 20 darts later and I'm still not finished. The 26's 11's etc start to creep in and then I start going for cover shots that are generally not good. Throwing the odd one out of the board completely doesn't help either. My other major gripe is that when I throw a treble 20 something seems to go off in my head that I don't need to follow up since I've already got a respectable score. In the online tourney I threw loads of T20's but got hardly any 100+ scores although I did get plenty of 60's.

Anyway aside from that I'm very happy with the John Part latinum's, glad I moved up weight and the grip is perfect, you just know if the first dart goes in to the 20 the other 2 will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Declan30

I was Using a heavier Darts. But recently brought a set of mark Webster's Darts.
    Very light but I find these great since I switched my game has improved hitting the treble 20 more often.
    Getting to finish Games now that is another thing. Some days can hit the doubles no hassle other days it would take me so long to do it .If I was playing in a Tournament they would give me the leg out of sympathy.

i never drink really when i play, mostly i only ever really play at home but i had a few pints the other night n came home n started to throw for a while n i was so surprised with how i threw, any time i've ever had a few beers n then tried to throw darts it's been a disaster but the other night it was totally the opposite, was dead straight n the weight of the dart was spot on, i hit 2 180s n a few 140s in the 10 minutes or so i was throwing, i was delighted...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

was meant to be a tournament last night but it was called off. so me and a few of the lads that were up there just had a few games anyway. was really on form finished a 155 and 136, got a 180 and loads of 140's, was finishing in about 20 darts, lowest being 16 highest being 24, just played for fun and it really helped finally haveing a games that doesn't matter if you win or lose. have to bring that attitude into my next league match tomoro:D

Ok so here is a prime example of my total inconsistency when playing darts.

In one leg against N01 it took 52 darts to finish the leg! Yes you read that right, 52 dart!! I worked my down to double 1 and I just couldn't hit it. Next leg up I finish in 18 darts and the next in 19 darts! I am just so inconsistent when it comes to hitting doubles and it drives me mad. If I could finish with even a 25% rate then I would average over 60 everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

May I ask what level on No1 you where playing KingP?
    When playing No1 on my own I throw no more than 30 dart legs but when my mates call up who are quite rubbish at darts it takes me about 40 darts in some games:confused:

ratinakeg wrote: »
    May I ask what level on No1 you where playing KingP?
    When playing No1 on my own I throw no more than 30 dart legs but when my mates call up who are quite rubbish at darts it takes me about 40 darts in some games:confused:

Throwing on Level 5 at the moment. I don't want to go up the level until I am beating Level 5 nearly all the time. I would be beating it all the time if I could hit my doubles because I always outscore it. N01 is strange, if I am having a bad game so will the computer but if I am throwing well so will the computer. I think a lot of how well it plays depends on how well you play.

My first 9 average is always around the 70 mark and is getting better so if I could hit my doubles I would win easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Throwing on Level 5 at the moment. I don't want to go up the level until I am beating Level 5 nearly all the time. I would be beating it all the time if I could hit my doubles because I always outscore it. N01 is strange, if I am having a bad game so will the computer but if I am throwing well so will the computer. I think a lot of how well it plays depends on how well you play.

My first 9 average is always around the 70 mark and is getting better so if I could hit my doubles I would win easily.

Since you started that thread about doubles have you been practising your doubles since? I've taken some good advice from that thread about improving my doubles and it has slightly got better!:)

By the way that first 9 average is very good!

ratinakeg wrote: »
    Since you started that thread about doubles have you been practising your doubles since? I've taken some good advice from that thread about improving my doubles and it has slightly got better!:)

By the way that first 9 average is very good!

Yeah have been practicing and I have improved but I am still inconsistent. Suppose I will just keep at it.

And thanks, it is a good average but I can't win if I don't hit those doubles! :p

• Advertisement

since i've been practicing with bob's 27 on dart pro my doubles have improved a bit, not amazing but a bit, i'd say i'm hitting 1 in 3 now on average compared to 1 in 4 a while ago so i'm happy with that...

Advertisement