Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray Cat, what are the procedures?

Options
  • 30-07-2008 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I've recently taken in a stray cat. It (will explain the "it" later) started coming around late one Saturday night 2 weeks ago, ive been home a lot lately with injury so was glad of the company.
    We made it a box yesterday and managed to get it to sleep in the box on the balcony last night. She looked very comfy there this morning. We live in a ground floor flat in a reasonably large complex, the apartment isnt really kitted out for a cat roaming freely during the night.
    Ive checked with the complex manager and he confirms it showed up a couple of weeks back and several apartments have been feeding it.

Now, my wife initially said it was a female, not keen to go checking a cats junk I was happy enough with that. She does strike me as a lady but now my wife reckons there might be a pair of balls down there.

We are not animal people so my research has shown the following.

The facts:
    Its a "tabby"
    ABout a foot and a half long when stretching, foot tall when sitting
    Extremely friendly - always rubbing against my leg and burrowing her head into my sides when Im sitting down
    Always hungry but have yet to see her take a dump or piddle? No rpobelms in the flat.
    Doesnt seem to have a proper meow, more like a low bird call??
    Arches the back now and then but doesnt appear to be in an agressive manner
    approx 10 teeth top, 10 bottom
    no obvious markings or unusual patterns including collar!

So a couple of questions:

How would you know a neutered cat from a female?
    Whats the best way to estimate age?
    Can one of those microchips be felt with the fingers?

Assuming I cant find the "real" owner, do i just bring her along to a vet randomly?
    Regarding general care, we are getting the hang of it, cats dont like Tuna, who knew??

So, any input appreciated. I am putting a notice on the ISPCC lost and found site as soon as we have discerned the gender! Its a bit random wihtout that simple detail and of course I want to get it right, although I will miss the little bugger.

Cheers
    Col

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

minotour wrote: »

I've recently taken in a stray cat......
    We made it a box yesterday and managed to get it to sleep in the box on the balcony last night. She looked very comfy there this morning.
    Well done :) lovely feeling isn't it!

Now, my wife initially said it was a female, not keen to go checking a cats junk I was happy enough with that. She does strike me as a lady but now my wife reckons there might be a pair of balls down there.
    LOL, for some reason my OH is the same. To be honest I have no idea how to tell a neutered male from a female. But you might try checking - kitty wont mind.

We are not animal people so my research has shown the following.

The facts:
    Its a "tabby"
    ABout a foot and a half long when stretching, foot tall when sitting
    Extremely friendly - always rubbing against my leg and burrowing her head into my sides when Im sitting down
    Always hungry but have yet to see her take a dump or piddle? No rpobelms in the flat.
    Doesnt seem to have a proper meow, more like a low bird call??
    Arches the back now and then but doesnt appear to be in an agressive manner
    approx 10 teeth top, 10 bottom
    no obvious markings or unusual patterns including collar!

I can imagine you in a white coat putting the cat through rigorous tests, measuring her etc but you don't want to "go checking a cats junk". :D Did you really count her teeth, I feel like such a negligent owner now. It sounds like (s)he has found a great home with you! Lucky cat.

The arching is just a stretch, not agressive, if you hear a hiss (my two sound like someone trying to whistle) - thats agression. Also look for the position of the ears on the head, if the ears are pointing up, the cat is listening and interested/ friendly, ears relaxed, cat is relaxed, ears lying flat against the head, cat is scared or ready to fight/agressive.

How would you know a neutered cat from a female?
    Whats the best way to estimate age?
    Can one of those microchips be felt with the fingers?

Assuming I cant find the "real" owner, do i just bring her along to a vet randomly?
    Regarding general care, we are getting the hang of it, cats dont like Tuna, who knew??

So, any input appreciated. I am putting a notice on the ISPCC lost and found site as soon as we have discerned the gender! Its a bit random wihtout that simple detail and of course I want to get it right, although I will miss the little bugger.
    Microchips cannot be felt. I would recommend bringing her to a vet, if the "real" owners show up, I'm sure they'd appreciate it and refund you. You'd get your answers there too. It is important to get her aged so you know which food is best to feed her.

The tuna, was it in sunflower oil or brine? Mine wont eat it unless sunflower. :D spoilt little feckers.

Well done on taking her in!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Hi Helena, Thanks for the response.

Yep, its a nice feeling alright. I'm a stickler for detail though not a nutty professor!
    I guess taking her to the vet is the best thing to do. If there turns out to be a tag I'm not sure how Ill feel about it :(

Anyhoo, Ive talked to a few knowledgable friends in the last hour and they all agree she is still quite young, most likely house trained, possibly abandoned, seemingly its not uncommon in modern Dublin apartments, shocking!

My main concern is that our lives are not really suitable to a dependant of any species (thats a hot topic!). For example, this bank holiday we are heading away, what do we do about her then? As we are both engineers we have considered some kind of time release food dispensing aparatus!!!!! I jest but the concerns remain.

ANyway, thanks again for the input, Im sure it will all work out in the end.

Col

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Fairly easy to tell if it's male or female but a vet trip to check that and to check for a microchip and they will also answer any general questions about worming etc.

I would avoid too much tuna as it can contain high levels of mercury..aparently.. most cats love a bit of chicken or ham (bit salty though so not too much) but in general a good quality cat e.g. Burns food is enough with fresh water available at all times.

If you can't keep the cat then perhaps have the vet to a total health check give the cat it's vaccinations and worming etc neuter/spay the cat if it's not already done then put the cat up for homing on websites like irishanimals.ie and petsireland and on here also advertise locally.
    If the cats owner shows up great but probably unlikely but you can always advertise locally and in the paper be sure they provide proof they own the cat though lot of dodgy people out there.

If you do keep the cat have the vaccinations etc done anyway, it is possible to book him/her into a cattery when you do have to go away or there might even be a pet minder in your area that will come and clean litter trays feed and give the cat some time.
    I wouldn't leave any pet alone for more than 24 hours so pet mindes or a friendly neighbour would be great.
    Cats are pretty easy to look after so a neighbour that is any way decent shoudln't have any problems.

Just noticed you mentioned a collar was that on the cat already?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

As we are both engineers we have considered some kind of time release food dispensing aparatus!!!!! I jest but the concerns remain.

Col
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_bowls_feeders/feeders/13600

Already done. Although like GPR said, 24hrs is a long tim for the cat to be alone. I must admit to leaving mine overnight occasionally. But there are two of them so they have company. I usually come home to their toys untouched and toilet paper all over the house (I don't have the heart to lock them out of the bathroom, they have too much fun in there).

Cats are incredibly easy. We both work long hours and my two are very happy little things. They sleep 18 hours a day. When you get in a few hours playing/cuddling and the cat will be fine.

most cats are house trained, one of the great things about them, they are practically born litter trained and are very clean.

Unfortunately cats wander, she could have been abandoned, or she might simply have found nice people to feed her while her owners are at work or when she's put out at night (as a some people do). Try getting a collar for her, put your number on it, that way, if she has owners who she's still going home to, they should ring you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

Take him/her to any vet and they will check for a chip and sex her/him and age her free of charge the nurses usually do this and are good at giving advice just ask. They might be able to tell you if she's/he's neutered. If you lift up the tail and see two holes close together it's a she and one hole hard to see the other a bit further down then he's male.

Don't forget to ad. on Irish animals as well. And leave a detail out that only the owner would know ie a marking or pattern in the coat or something she does.

Good on you's for looking after her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

If you plan on keeping her permanently, like if an owner doesn't show up, you could always get her a companion? Cats aren't like dogs, they don't really care much about having a person around generally so can usually be left alone for a day or two as long as they have plenty of fresh food, water and litter. and there are actually little dishes that dispense so much food per day! I think you can buy them in the Argos catalogue. I think you can get fountains now that dispense fresh water because apparently cats prefer that to water that's been sitting around (hence their obsession with sitting in sinks trying to get water out of the taps lol) good luck with her anyway! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭eveie

very easy to tell a nutered male from female, life up its tale, if theres 2 holes its female.....sorry to out it so bluntly

Advertisement