Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arshavin to Spurs

• 30-07-2008 8:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

Agent on SSN there saying that a deal nearly done but very hard to deal with russian clubs. Think all they have to do is finalise a fee. He said should be concluded in next 5 days.

he also said barca had bids for him turned down. Thought he said price was expected to be €20mill or less than that - less than what barca bid

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'd imagine finalising a fee is a fairly important part of any transfer being completed.

him and his agent seem like a pair of amateurs tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

ya no doubt, he sounded very frustrated at zenith. Think the club should let him go and try to get as much as they can outta spurs.

EDIT: sorry bout thread title. Should have added a ? to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I hope this happens. I'd like to see Arshavin in the Premier League, even just to see if he's as good as his form in the Euros and UEFA cup suggests. If he is, he should do well at Spurs with Ramos' penchant for attacking football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

According to his agent.

They are gonna have a team of attacking midfielders!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

If Arshavin goes he'll either be absolutely fcukin brilliant or he'll be another Sergei Rebrov.
    Something about him makes me worry that he'll flop though. Can't put my finger on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

has a fee been agreed? how much he costing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Tusky wrote: »
    They are gonna have a team of attacking midfielders!

Ossie Ardiles again, got to say it was entertaining football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Pointless signing. Modric, dos Santos and Arshavin are all too similar. Money would have been better spent going after Milito or Pavluychenko.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

they will prob play one up front berbatov would prob be perfect but he might be going to utd hope not tho altho spurs will be better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Well they can't be accused of not playing attacking football anyway

so whats the formation i assume they are playing? one upfront? they keeping berbatov?

It's gonna be back to the old Ossie Ardiles 5 up front I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Thought spurs were goin after some defenders this off season...obviousely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

so whats the formation i assume they are playing? one upfront? they keeping berbatov?

I'd say Bent will feature, he's been banging them in, in the pre season.

I'd say Bent will feature, he's been banging them in, in the pre season.

Against Norwich and Leyton Orient.......

Who said he was a Championship player?!

I dont expect Bent Bent to start but atm him to be the sole sub striker... really wonder who spurs will sign tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

themont85 wrote: »
    Thought spurs were goin after some defenders this off season...obviousely not.
    Woodgate, King, Hutton and Bale isn't a bad first choice.

(assuming Berbatov leaves) for attacking midfield they've 3 positions to be filled by Arshavin, Bentley, Dos Santos, Modric and Lennon. Come December (through injuries and form) I doubt we'll be saying they have such strength in depth in attack.

Zenit St Petersburg claim they still have not been contacted by Tottenham regarding a possible deal to take Andrei Arshavin to White Hart Lane. (BBC Sport, 0835 BST)

The agent claiming that zenith are hard to deal with doesnt appear to be too far from the truth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

How good is he really? I saw him in the UEFA Cup and he wasn't half bad, and then in the Euros he stepped it up, but I'm not entirely sure he's a better signing that Modric or Dos Santos.

Also I understand personal terms isn't the problem, its the transfer fee. Zenit want a ****load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Woodgate, King, Hutton and Bale isn't a bad first choice.

But two of those four are fairly injury-prone. Woodgate did manage to stay fit when he joined, but with King it got to the point where there were rumours of retirement. Dawson is there as well, but is there much cover after that?

But two of those four are fairly injury-prone. Woodgate did manage to stay fit when he joined, but with King it got to the point where there were rumours of retirement. Dawson is there as well, but is there much cover after that?

No doubt that another CB is needed, no doubt. Woodgate can stay fit, he's shown that. King is another question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

As much as I hate the B*stards for nicking our players/assistant managers repeatedly, they're gonna have a seriously good team this season

Gomes

Hutton
    Woodgate
    King
    Bale

Bentley
    Modric
    Dos Santos
    Lennon

Arshavin

Berbetov

Where's the defensive midfielder in that line up?! Are you Ossie in disguise?! Dos Santos can't play there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Listen, when you've taken Leeds from the depths of League One to consecutive Premiership/Champions League/FA Cup trebles on Football Manager 2008, then maybe, just maybe, I'll take your points about tactics on board........ until then however....;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I agree with Xavi, that's an incredibly light-weight central midfield.

Does everyone think that Dos Santos will go straight into the team? It may well take him a bit of time to adapt to the Premiership, I'm not so sure we'll see a lot of him straight away.

As much as I hate the B*stards for nicking our players/assistant managers repeatedly, they're gonna have a seriously good team this season

Gomes

Hutton
    Woodgate
    King
    Bale

Bentley
    Modric
    Dos Santos
    Lennon

Arshavin

Berbetov

It's more likely that Lennon will be dropped, and play something like this

Zokora
    Modric
    -Bentley
    Arshavin
    Dos Santos--

Bent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

As i am reading they are disscusing package Pavluychenko-Arshavin for 34mil pounds

• Advertisement

Malbranque also in Sunderland,these guys definitly tring to buy Spurs.Chimbonda and Tainio already transfered there and Kaboul negotiating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

PHB wrote: »
    It's more likely that Lennon will be dropped, and play something like this

Zokora
    Modric
    -Bentley
    Arshavin
    Dos Santos--

Bent

Most likely, though there's talk of Veloso arriving as well.

We've lined up 4-5-1 (or 4-2-3-1) for our pre-season games, with dos Santos doing the lion's share of supporting the lone frontman. He had a hand in all five goals vs Leyton orient last night.

If Arshaving doesn't come then Lennon and Jenas will alternate in the supporting 3 with Bentley/dos Santos as definite starters. Huddlestone and O'Hara will be the back-ups to Zokora and Modric,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Huddlestone and O'Hara will be the back-ups to Zokora and Modric,

i've often thought Huddlestone is better than Zokora myself. i don't like him as a player at all.

also, does anyone know what Spurs net spend has been so far? i'm just wondering about their books with all these acquisitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

i've often thought Huddlestone is better than Zokora myself. i don't like him as a player at all.

Huddlestone is too slow, watch him vs United for Nani's goal at Old Trafford last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

And Zokora is a headless chicken.

It is clear that they do need another DMC.
    Personally though, I thought Jenas was really impressive under Ramos in teh 2nd half of the season. He might finally be able to get the best out of him.

Arshavin and Pavluychenko signed would mean the selling of Berbatov would be fine. Then all they'd need to do is do something about the defence and they'll be flying. Spurs are so close to a top 4 challenging team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

If Arshaving doesn't come then Lennon and Jenas will alternate in the supporting 3 with Bentley/dos Santos as definite starters. Huddlestone and O'Hara will be the back-ups to Zokora and Modric,
    If Arshavin doesn't come, would it not be more:

Zokora
    Jenas
    -Bentley
    Modric
    Dos Santos--

Bent/Pavlyuchenko

or does Modric track back more than I thought?

I'd swap that to be honest yahoo_moe. Modric is a central midfield like say Scholes. He can play as the AMC, but he works fine in a 2 man midfield. Problem is with Zokora as he isn't really a good enough ball winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

If you signed Arshavin,Pavlyuchenko and Veloso Spurs would definitely breach the top 4 IMO.

No garantee,they said that last year and they blew up,i think they could have chance for top 4 but selling Keane and probably Berbatov makes me to think theres no way for that

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Zenit seem to be on the lookout for a replacement for Arshavin. They've had an 18 million euro bid for OM's Valbuena turned down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'd swap that to be honest yahoo_moe. Modric is a central midfield like say Scholes. He can play as the AMC, but he works fine in a 2 man midfield. Problem is with Zokora as he isn't really a good enough ball winner.

i disagree. Modric was at his best in the EUROs when he was played 'in the hole', which he only did sporadically mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

im really looking forward to watching spurs play this year. i think we can really make a bash at the uefa cup........ (dare i say the top 4 also!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Well you're right about Zokora but I'd reckon Jenas (a real box-to-boxer) would make up for that better than Modric (who I think of as more of a schemer, though I could be wrong). Plus I don't think Jenas has the subtlety for the 'hole' position.

milito's agent saying spurs no longer interested in him... sky sports tc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Has Modric been playing a deeper role than Jenas so far in pre-season? I'm guessing he'll fill a similar role to someone like Xavi? What I'm really trying to figure out is if he's worth putting in my FF team (ie. will he get goals and assists)? :D

Looking forward to tomorrow's match to see Spurs more than Celtic. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

If Huddlestone loses a bit of weight there's no reason he can't be perfect for the role of DMC. Ramos has held onto him so that suggests that he rates him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,710 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Kold wrote: »
    If Huddlestone loses a bit of weight there's no reason he can't be perfect for the role of DMC. Ramos has held onto him so that suggests that he rates him.

I actually rate him, I think he is the best young English central midfield player at the moment. He needs a bit of pace, tackling, passing, free kicks are superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Arshavin to Spurs could happen within five days.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3892243,00.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I've seen a few pics of huddlestone in preseason training - he's in amazing shape you're talking sculpted like.

found it, it's a bit gay but sure . .

7999367spain_july12_beach240.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,710 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus that is one of the gayest pictures I have ever seen. :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement