Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best Video Games Controller from your personal experience

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Though I find the Six-Axis ok, the Dualshock 3 is a huge improvement. The weight, the button layout...

I dunno why there is such a hatred for it tbh. Maybe it just suits my clearly deformed hands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

R0ot wrote: »
    I'm sorry your using your d-pad for precision? :rolleyes:

Yes precision. You don't want to be playing a game were instead of pressing forward you press a diagonal or because of the d-pads stupid 4 button design diagonals are nearly impossible to do. It's totally unreliable for street fighter, you end up jumping instead of moving along the ground and special moves are a roulette if you pull them off.
    Cunny-Funt wrote:
    After playing street fighter with a ps1 d-pad it just feels wrong using other pads, they are not good enough.

Really? I'm a excellent street fighter 2 player and have played that game more than any other and for me the PS pad totally fails the Street Fighter test. 4 face buttons just isn't enough, shoulder buttons are no replacement. Again as I mentioned there is no precision in the d-pad you end up jumping or ducking when you just want to move forward. Special moves are pulled off by chance, it's impossible to lay down a barrage of fireballs since it's so unreliable and you can forget about pulling off spinning pile driver.

Compared to the SNES Mega Drive 6 button and Sega Saturn it's an absolute mess for capcom games. Sure the Gamecube controller and 360 controller fail the SF test as well but at least they are comfy to use. I got the SF collection on the PS1 and tried playing it for weeks before giving up and resorting back to mame and playing with the MK1 sidewinder.

Which to get back on topic was a bloody brilliant joypad. Being able to piggyback with another 3 joypads was genius (why theu got rid of this in subsequent versions is a mystery) and I still use mine to this day for emulators. Brilliant controller for Street Fighter games.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I find the 360 D-Pad also awful for games that feature an in-game menu system. It always seems to go right when you want it to go down on a menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Interesting video on the history of gaming controllers:

http://onnetworks.com/videos/play-value/controllers?autoplay=true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

for first person shooters i like the xbox or 360 controller.
    for racing games and fighting games i would prefer the ps controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I loved the original xbox controller but didn't get a controller-s as it rotated the buttons through 45 degrees and messed up my Halo. Now find the 360 to be the best having gotten used to the button layout.
    I played CoD4 on the ps3 the other day for the first time and if you circle strafe right your thumbs touch, wtf? And no I don't have big fat hands.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I like the current 360 controller - fits my hand nicely, but would definitely like to mod it like the more FPS friendly one someone made (I can't find the link ATM, but I'm sure soemoen knows what I'm on about).

The MegaDrive 6 button controller was a masterpiece and a joy to play with.

The afore mentioned Cheetah Bug and Quickshot Turbo are blasts from my past that have brought all sorts of find memories back.

Also loved the NES arcade stick someone else mentioned. Gonna have to invest in something similar for the 360/Soul Calibur. Always regretted not getting one for my Dreamcast back in the day, now they're super rare and expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Nailz wrote: »
    DualShock2 (like Mossy Monk said). But I never liked the Xbox controllers, including the 360's one. Fat, Heavy, don't like the switch of the analog and d-pad on them, don't like the d-pad at all and, in the 360's case, you have the by new batteries every 2 weeks, or buy a play and charge kit (which has two parts, sold seprately, which is very very stupid)! And that still costs in the region of €30!

Or you could buy a wired version, which you don't seem to mind since the DualShock 2 was wired :rolleyes:

I'll agree about the 360s D-pad being crap, but since the only time I ever use it is for changing weapons, calling in an airstrike and other things where precision is not required, it works perfectly fine for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Burga Galti

Skittle wrote: »
    For me the most perfect controller was the Quickshot II Turbo joystick for the C64/Amiga.
    quickshot_ii.jpg

First joystick I had with micro-switches, which were a god-send at the time.

Old-school for the win:D

It was good, but I preferred this one:

Qs-131f.jpg
    The Quickshot Cobra. Brilliance.

Runners up would be:

N64 Controller
    Nintendoscope (loved that bazooka thing as a kid)
    SNES

Hmm, I'm starting to see a trend there...

Seifer wrote: »
    ...if you circle strafe right your thumbs touch, wtf?

Your thumbs not on speaking terms?

I like the smaller Xbox controller. I used to play PES with it with my housemates from college and liked the layout. The 360 wireless is annoying though as the battery pack seems to jut out at the back.

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote:
    Your thumbs not on speaking terms?
    They are but it was a first date.

They are but it was a first date.

They should know never to play games on a first date. It sets a precedent and they end up resenting each other eventually for being unable to open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yes precision. You don't want to be playing a game were instead of pressing forward you press a diagonal or because of the d-pads stupid 4 button design diagonals are nearly impossible to do. It's totally unreliable for street fighter, you end up jumping instead of moving along the ground and special moves are a roulette if you pull them off.

Really? I'm a excellent street fighter 2 player and have played that game more than any other and for me the PS pad totally fails the Street Fighter test. 4 face buttons just isn't enough, shoulder buttons are no replacement. Again as I mentioned there is no precision in the d-pad you end up jumping or ducking when you just want to move forward. Special moves are pulled off by chance, it's impossible to lay down a barrage of fireballs since it's so unreliable and you can forget about pulling off spinning pile driver.

Compared to the SNES Mega Drive 6 button and Sega Saturn it's an absolute mess for capcom games. Sure the Gamecube controller and 360 controller fail the SF test as well but at least they are comfy to use. I got the SF collection on the PS1 and tried playing it for weeks before giving up and resorting back to mame and playing with the MK1 sidewinder.

Which to get back on topic was a bloody brilliant joypad. Being able to piggyback with another 3 joypads was genius (why theu got rid of this in subsequent versions is a mystery) and I still use mine to this day for emulators. Brilliant controller for Street Fighter games.

+ 1...
    Bought Mortal Kombat 2 for PS3 the other day..so far I still haven't be able to do any of the moves...
    For me Xbox 360 is the perfect controller..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I love the Xbox 360 and GameCube controllers, even the S controller on the old Xbox was too big for me. Also for size reasons, I wasn't a big fan of the N64 or Dreamcast controllers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

mcgovern wrote: »
    I'll agree about the 360s D-pad being crap, but since the only time I ever use it is for changing weapons, calling in an airstrike and other things where precision is not required, it works perfectly fine for me.

It will let you down, one of these days, let you down when you need it most!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The 360 d-pad is just such a bad design. It's like a little joustick with a D-pad sitting on top of it. I want the head of the person responsible for making it!

Either that or blame nintendo and Sega since they have the patents to all the best d-pad designs.

Otacon wrote:
    They should know never to play games on a first date. It sets a precedent and they end up resenting each other eventually for being unable to open up.
    They've been hurt before in the past and find it hard to open up.
    Although I was with friends, had a few beers and were up til all hours playing. Woke up the next day and thought I had punched a wall or something my hand was so sore from clamping over the little toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

It was good, but I preferred this one:

Qs-131f.jpg
    The Quickshot Cobra. Brilliance.

Runners up would be:

N64 Controller
    Nintendoscope (loved that bazooka thing as a kid)
    SNES

Hmm, I'm starting to see a trend there...

I had both those, I preferred the Cobra one alright, but they have nothing on todays controllers. I can remember joysticks flying across the room when trying to make a particularly sharp turn!

Although I was with friends, had a few beers and were up til all hours playing. Woke up the next day and thought I had punched a wall or something my hand was so sore from clamping over the little toy.

Sounds like you need to go here

http://pie.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=567

Can't see where ever that links, subscribers only.
    But from the word pie I assume its something to do with being fat. I assure you I'm not. I'm 5' 10'' and about ten and a half stone.
    The controller is just too small once you become used to the comfort of the 360 one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

I love the Xbox 360 and GameCube controllers, even the S controller on the old Xbox was too big for me. Also for size reasons, I wasn't a big fan of the N64 or Dreamcast controllers.

Oddly enough I have small hands and I actaully prefered the original xbox controler to the s controler. Never understood that one myself :confused:

Best joypad for me would have to be the gamecube controler. most comfortable one I have ever used.

Hats off to the snes, megadrive, N64 and Dreamcast controlers as well, all great.

Have a Xbox360 atm and I do have to say it is a dacent joypad, I do like the fact this gen all game controlers are wireless. Best step ever.
    (still hate the ps joypad though, never felt right)

Looking forward to seing what games really make good use of the wii controler. Still seems that most games aren't using it to the fullest advantage and treat it as a gimick more so than anything else.

The wiimote and nunchuck amaze me just how well they actually work.

Can't see where ever that links, subscribers only.
    But from the word pie I assume its something to do with being fat. I assure you I'm not. I'm 5' 10'' and about ten and a half stone.
    The controller is just too small once you become used to the comfort of the 360 one.

???

It was the Sex&Sexuality forum! My God you are way off! :p

Why pie?
    Lol anyway now that I know what it is I get the joke. It was good, you have bested me again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Worst controller (although not technically a controller in itself) is surely the PSP.

I can put up with the D-pad on Dual-Shocks, but the one on the original PSP was just takin the p*ss. Didn't Namco release a special plastic part to place over the D-pad so it would be easier to do the diagonal based moves on Tekken-Dark Resurrection?

As for the best?

N64 controller felt so futuristic at the time and I still love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I rather hearted the DC controller, particularly the analogue stick.

If you could put a Dual Shock 2 controller into the shell of one of the first models of PS analogue pad (with the longer prongs and the dips in the sticks) that would work better. As it is, they're too hard to hold for people with non-Japanese-sized hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

Rez vibrator controller thing. No contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I dunno man, me and everyone else I know are the total opposite. Maybe you just press the buttons a different way or something :p

I dropped 60 euro on a PS3 pad to play SF3 3rd strike online with 2df GGPO and originally kaillera (which aint really the place to play anymore in the EU anyway)

and all for the D-pad cause simply no other pads D-pad is good enough. (i dont have a ps3)

Don't get me wrong I am open to trying other pads but everything I've tried sucks balls for streetfighter cept the sony D-pad.

I get the impression most people think the same, I dunno I always assumed if there was a poll for best joypad the PS pad would win hands down, and I'm faaaaaar from a sony fan boy I can tell yea that.

Still I'm thinking of going arcade stick when sf4 comes out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

snes pad for console games

Gravis X-Terminator for PC games like Freespace, Mechwarrior etc.

and now mine is broken :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Konix speedking, it was the first joystick I had and was a great design.

I also think the GC controller is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The zipstik from my Amiga days was awesome. I remember that megadrive pads would work fine on the Amiga too, same connector :)

These days though my favourite is the 360 controller. I play mostly racing games on the 360 so I love the triggers for accelerator/brakes. Games that make you press a face button to accelerate are a pain in the ass and it makes my thumb hurt after a while.

For fps though, keyboard and mouse 4 life.

Advertisement