Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10mb broadband 54mb router

Options
  • 30-07-2008 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

ok im getting the 10 mb upc broadband and i have a trendnet router that says it does 54mb wireless transfer. are these two comparable as in i have a router that is way better than the conection speed so dont need to get a better one. or would splashing out on a 108 mb wireless router make a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Iguana Bob wrote: »
    ok im getting the 10 mb upc broadband and i have a trendnet router that says it does 54mb wireless transfer. are these two comparable as in i have a router that is way better than the conection speed so dont need to get a better one. or would splashing out on a 108 mb wireless router make a difference?
    It would make a slight difference. Needless to say, the faster the information can get from your Router to your Computer, the faster you'll see webpages. It won't make any odds on big downloads, it will just lower your ping by a few ms. Ethernet ports on standard Routers work on 100Mb/s. 54Mb/s is not slow, but 108Mb/s is definitely better.

Should you splash out? If you're happy with what you have, then no. If not, go ahead. Just don't spend ridiculous amounts of money, as the improvement will be only marginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Iguana Bob wrote: »

You'll also have to have a wireless card in your PC/laptop that also can do 108Mbps to gain any benefit from it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Wait and see how your current router performs when you get the broadband.

Advertisement