Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linking 2 wifi routers

Options
  • 30-07-2008 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Hi ok ill explain this the best i can ask if you dont get me.Ill post this in wireless but it a mixture of both

So i have a cable internet which is then going into cable modem there is a signal lan cable coming out which goes into m dlink dir 301 wifi access point.
    This however doesnt reach room in the house.

So today i bought a zyxel asdl router/bridge with a view to moving it into the loft and running a cable from my dlink to a lan port on the zyxel then sharing wireless from their!I knows it possible as i had it briefly working but then i messed with a few settings(i found out how to change the modem to bridge) and know it wont work..
    Can anyone help me with this as i dont know what to do
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Normally speaking, by simply placing the ethernet from the cable router into the new router, when you connect to the new router it should work no bother. Specifically you should be changing the routing tables so the new router knows the following:

Wireless - New Router - Ethernet - Cable Router - Internet

All that will do is quicken page loads.

Worked for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Did you change the D-Link so that it is not trying to act as a Gateway.

I am not familiar with the D-Link ones, but in a linksys router you would go to Setup --> Advanced Routing --> and change the operating mode from Gateway to router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

charlesD wrote: »
    Did you change the D-Link so that it is not trying to act as a Gateway.

I am not familiar with the D-Link ones, but in a linksys router you would go to Setup --> Advanced Routing --> and change the operating mode from Gateway to router

doesnt seem to be an option on it...
    It wouldn't be something to do with the router trying to assign at ip to the new zyxel router?

ricky91t wrote: »
    It wouldn't be something to do with the router trying to assign at ip to the new zyxel router?

Yeah that is kind of what I was thinking. If the zyxel router is trying to assign its own ip addresses instead of simply acting as a switch and letting the D-Link do the work, then it could create a conflict.

It sounds like this is the problem. I couldn't find the user manual for your router(do you know the model number), but I found a similar one. You might try setting the "Gateway IP Address" of the zyxel router to the IP address of the D-Link router.

Let me know what the model number of your router is and I will check the user guide tomorrow and see if I can help. Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Are you sure the additonal one that you bought is a dsl modem/router? If so that is going to complicate things for you. A dsl model will have a modem built in for use with bb over telephone e.g. the eircom kind. Any possibility of changing it?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    Are you sure the additonal one that you bought is a dsl modem/router? If so that is going to complicate things for you. A dsl model will have a modem built in for use with bb over telephone e.g. the eircom kind. Any possibility of changing it?

It can be set as an asdl or bridge router

OK today is going worse iv got a different lan cable(does it have to be a cross over???cos if it does ill have to dig mine out)Now when i link the zyxel to the dlink the dlink looses internet access.And the zyxel never has it...

Sorry to hear that you were having problems today. Remember that you can always do a hard reset to the router if you make a change and are no longer able to access your router, but doing this will clear out all your settings...

I think you need to go to:

web configuration --> Lan Setup --> change the DHCP mode to "relay" and set the "Remote DHCP Server" field to the IP address of your DLink Router.

You might also be able to set the "DHCP mode" to none, I would try both.

After you make these changes though, you might not be able to access the zyxel router, so if it doesn't work do a hard reset on the zyxel router (page 32)

Networking is something that can be hard to understand and even harder to explain, so I am sorry if my post is not helpful :)

charlesD wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that you were having problems today. Remember that you can always do a hard reset to the router if you make a change and are no longer able to access your router, but doing this will clear out all your settings...

I think you need to go to:

web configuration --> Lan Setup --> change the DHCP mode to "relay" and set the "Remote DHCP Server" field to the IP address of your DLink Router.

You might also be able to set the "DHCP mode" to none, I would try both.

After you make these changes though, you might not be able to access the zyxel router, so if it doesn't work do a hard reset on the zyxel router (page 32)

Networking is something that can be hard to understand and even harder to explain, so I am sorry if my post is not helpful :)

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

thanks CharlesD you've been a great help and hey presto its all up and running like a dream.Got the pc that could never connect ,connected and now it browsing the net.Also moved over laptop to the newer (zyxel)as it gives much better signal

Thanks again :D

• Advertisement

Awesome! Glad its working :)

Advertisement