Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wouldn't Heaven Really be Hell?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I agree. If someone close to me had just died and someone told be to trust in Jesus I'd snap and go off the rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I agree. If someone close to me had just died and someone told be to trust in Jesus I'd snap and go off the rails.
    Why? Wouldn't that indicate that you blame God and judge Him to have acted unjustly?

kelly1 wrote: »
    Why? Wouldn't that indicate that you blame God and judge Him to have acted unjustly?

I really don't see how you arrived at that conclusion. How can I be angry at someone who I do not believe exists?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I really don't see how you arrived at that conclusion. How can I be angry at someone who I do not believe exists?
    OK, so why would you "snap and go off the rails"?

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

Because you'd sound like a deeply religious person who is trying to convert them?

• Advertisement

kelly1 wrote: »
    OK, so why would you "snap and go off the rails"?

Would you appreciate it if I told you, while you were grieving, that god was a delusion and your loved one was dead and gone? And if I acted as though I knew better?

And by go off the rails, I mean I would attack their personal beliefs in an unkind way and tell them off vocally for being so self-righteous to my face. I'd probably then storm off feeling more upset than before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 MightyCelestial

Would you appreciate it if I told you, while you were grieving, that god was a delusion and your loved one was dead and gone? And if I acted as though I knew better?

And by go off the rails, I mean I would attack their personal beliefs in an unkind way and tell them off vocally for being so self-righteous to my face. I'd probably then storm off feeling more upset than before.

Which would not only be a very natural reaction, but also a very correct reaction for you to have in such a case.

Trying to communicate to some one that their inner-most beliefs are wrong (especially with any kind of "conversional" tone) during such a vulnerable time as grief is an incredibly unempathetic manner of communication & severely lacks the depth of compassion that is required to help a fellow human being to get thru such times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement