Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for the ladies

Options
  • 30-07-2008 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I know what sanitary towels are for and what tampons are for, but what are pantyliners for?

Are they for use WITH tampons or just for general use to keep fresh and dry?

I am afraid I will one day make a fool of myself for not knowing...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Personal Issues.

This took me forever to figure out too!

Some people have heavy normal discharge.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Everything you could ever possibly want to know on the subject can be found here.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thread re-opened on further advice from my fellow mods. This is what happens when people post stuff that I know nothing about. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭ChickCool

think ther for protecting underwear from extra discharge and for the possibilty of your period arriving before you get a chance for tampons and for the last little bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Period blood is not the only thing to come out of a vagina, there are a range of stubstances from the vagina's natural secretions to the vagina's lubricunt to the tacky discharge when a woman has ovulated and the ova passes out of the body; as well as the fact some women don't, well wipe as well as they should after urinating.

All over the above may make the gusset of a woman's underwear sticky and some of them will stain the underwear, so some women use panty liners.

For serveral conditions as well they would be a good idea as trush and other sti like the clap can mean that there is a foul smelling discharge from the vagina and the panty liner will collect so it can be removed easily.

Some women will wear them after the have had sex even if they have had a shower as well what goes into the vagina in terms of additional lube and semen comes back out again over time.

Why you didn't think to look in wiki I don't know but anyway.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panty_liner

There were some concerns about the use of panty liners raising the risk of vulvovaginal candidiasis and Urinary tract infections but the most recent research shows this not to be the case.

All part of the fun and games of being female.

crfrno93.jpg

http://www.mum.org/ is an intresting site about feminine hygien products over the years the history of them and how they evovled inculding pictures and adds.

Age 6, reading my mother's "Woman's Own", I was convinced adult women just had lots of bathroom accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Victor wrote: »
    Age 6, reading my mother's "Woman's Own", I was convinced adult women just had lots of bathroom accidents.

Haha. when iwas a kid i remember seeing the tip of one in my mams underwear and when i questioned it she said "Just so i dont have any Dribbles if i dont get to the tiolet quick enough" i thought thay wer efor that too for years.

I personally Use Pantyliners at that time of the month because my Pill causes me to have a Period thats too light for Tampons and towels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 SheenaD

what is with women do you honestly think blokes like seeing you writing about yer periods have some self respect ladies its sick and wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

SheenaD wrote: »
    what is with women do you honestly think blokes like seeing you writing about yer periods have some self respect ladies its sick and wrong.

Yes. Because what men think is the most important thing, yes? It's a natural process, get over it. The fact that people don't talk about it enough is why you have puzzled people like the OP here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

if they dont want to read the whole thread they dont have to. and neither do you if you think its sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

LOL
    Um... a bloke asked. Actually I think treating menstruation as sick and a taboo and wrong and something to be ashamed of in 2008... is far more sick - especially a woman doing so...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

SheenaD read the forum title 'Ladies Lounge' now we all know guys come in here, which its cool, me likez the males and balance! But when they read the start of a thread its up to them whether they read on or not. Just like it was yours when you opened it.

It's not sick, as you put it. Girls/ladies are welcome to come and discuss anything here, simple as that. Now im not a mod, but i dont think its right to try make them feel stupid ar ashamed of whatever issue or question they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's not sick at least half of the worlds population bleeds from the crotch for at least 10 to 40 years of thier lives and have all the wonders of a moist cavern with it's moods and discharges that is the vagina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

dscf0039%5Bekm%5D400x300%5Bekm%5D.jpg

WindSock wrote: »
    dscf0039%5Bekm%5D400x300%5Bekm%5D.jpg

Is.... is... is that a type of tampon?

I'm not sure as men get tampons and sweets confused all the time according to TV adverts....

No No, it's a delicious panty-liner for SheenaD.

Looks a bit dry. It could use some burger relish.

hold the cheese?

• Advertisement

uh oh. I am in danger of being discharged from the Ladies Lounge. I had better stop. Back to the topic of panty liners, yes they are fine for anyone to use. If you reckon you could wear a pair of knickers all day and feel less icky by the end of the day without liners then great. Some of us sneeze and laugh an awful lot though :(.

WindSock wrote: »
    hold the cheese?

EEUUUUWWWWW!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

They're wonderfully handy if you happen to have sex without a condom...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Also amazing (panty liners) if you get your bits pierced and don't wanna bleed all over your nice new boxers/knickers

I will get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

/me stands and claps for Will!

They're also an important part of Klingon cosplay. They make an excellent foundation for the forehead ridges and give you an easier time when perspiring.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Some people have heavy normal discharge.

This disturbed me in a way I never thought possible.:eek:

They're also an important part of Klingon cosplay. They make an excellent foundation for the forehead ridges and give you an easier time when perspiring.

I would use a Mars bar for that bit. But that would be a problem for perspiration.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It's not sick at least half of the worlds population bleeds from the crotch for at least 10 to 40 years of thier lives and have all the wonders of a moist cavern with it's moods and discharges that is the vagina.
    Without wanting to create a downer, many children don't live that long.

• Advertisement

This disturbed me in a way I never thought possible.:eek:

Just wait until you discover the maternity pad section in Tesco.

Advertisement