Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a proffesional website.

Options
  • 30-07-2008 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

I'm being commisioned to totally redesign a business website from the ground up, now I'm a bit rusty and things change really fast but in ye're valued opinion would I be correct in going this route:

Hand coded in HTML, CSS with Flash animations / slideshows embedded? I have Adobe Creative Suite at my disposal so maybe I should use Dreamweaver considering it is combined with photoshop illustrator etc? I prefer the hand coded route but Creative Suite seems to be the biz.

Plus as for uploading, hosting etc, I am not sure about this, are there things that I should watch out for?

Plus what is the best way to optimize the site for rankings, I know that the more links that you have pointing to the site helps but are there more tips and tricks that I should be aware of?

Anybody have an idea of what the best route to undertake? Thanks all.

Oh and if this is the wrong thread apologies, feel free to move.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Moved from DA&D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I'm being commisioned to totally redesign a business website from the ground up, now I'm a bit rusty and things change really fast but in ye're valued opinion would I be correct in going this route:

Hand coded in HTML, CSS with Flash animations / slideshows embedded? I have Adobe Creative Suite at my disposal so maybe I should use Dreamweaver considering it is combined with photoshop illustrator etc? I prefer the hand coded route but Creative Suite seems to be the biz.

Plus as for uploading, hosting etc, I am not sure about this, are there things that I should watch out for?

Plus what is the best way to optimize the site for rankings, I know that the more links that you have pointing to the site helps but are there more tips and tricks that I should be aware of?

Anybody have an idea of what the best route to undertake? Thanks all.

Oh and if this is the wrong thread apologies, feel free to move.

Most pros in the business hand code these days. With regards to hosting, all the Irish hosts are reliable. You will probably end up with either hosting365 or blacknight.

With regard to optimisation, it is increasingly important to structure your data correctly. The website is much better off being layed out using CSS rather than tables. After that there are all the standard points, relevant information, meaningful titles, meta information etc.

With regard to how to go about it? Same as you would anything else. Find out what the customer wants, design, develop, deploy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

oeb wrote: »
    Most pros in the business hand code these days.

??? That's a very big assumption. I would imagine more companies would use some sort of development tool, most likely Dreamweaver or some visual editor. The simple reason for this is spead of development.

[snip - Aidan]
    With regard to optimisation, it is increasingly important to structure your data correctly. The website is much better off being layed out using CSS rather than tables.

Not entirely true. It may help improve your rankings by having content easier to for the spiders to access, but it won't make a huge difference if your code is clean and isn't heavily using nested tables.

tomED wrote: »
    That's a very big assumption. I would imagine more companies would use some sort of development tool, most likely Dreamweaver or some visual editor. The simple reason for this is spead of development.

I have yet to come across an Irish professional developer who uses a WYSIWYG web development tool. (Lets leave the one or two man graphic design agencies who may throw brochure sites together using golive out of this) While I have come across people who use dreamweaver, they conduct the majority of the development in code view. The application is used more for the syntax highlighting, project management etc.

No obviously down here in Kerry I may not be exposed to the same market, but I have been a professional web developer for seven years now and I have delt with alot of companies. It may also be worth noticing that I have never been asked by a recruiter if I had expereince with any particular development enviroment.

When I use the term 'Hand Code' I am not refering to using notepad. I personally use an IDE to develop in (Zend Studio). But I write the code by hand, I do not use any form of WYSIWYG functionality.

[snip - Aidan]

Not entirely true. It may help improve your rankings by having content easier to for the spiders to access, but it won't make a huge difference if your code is clean and isn't heavily using nested tables.

I don't deal with the SEO part of our business (I'm just a code monkey) but everything I have read recently indicates that correctly structured code is very very beneficial when it comes to the likes of google etc. In my past experience as well, I have found it generally easier to 'move up the rankings' with logicially structured code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

??? That's a very big assumption. I would imagine more companies would use some sort of development tool, most likely Dreamweaver or some visual editor. The simple reason for this is spead of development.

Personally I code 'by hand'. In that I use Coda and I festidiously ensure my code is valid, semantic and inline with best practices. Dreamweaver is a good tool for workflow... just as long as you don't rely on the WYSIWYG editor.

[snip - Aidan]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 SligoToday

Ok well here's my two cents.

Use the tools you have CS3 is a great collection of tools to help develop sites faster. Dreamweavers code view is fantastic for getting things done quickly and its site-manager functionality helps when it comes to validating site wide links, code, etc. When I started out I used notepad but once i started developing with php I really had to change up to Dreamweaver for the syntax colour coding. It is no substitute for knowledge but if a deadline is looming it can speed things up.

[snip - Aidan]

Search engine optimisation is a real buzzword these days but its not that complicated. A few simple truths we have found.

use different titles on each page

use phrases in your titles (web design sligo instead of web design)

the description meta tag is important as this is the subtext that appears on google results

Keep your content plentiful - you hear a lot of developers say that nobody reads text online but Google does the more content google can locate on your site the more relevant keywords it will store.

google dosent handle flash well so use sparingly (personal dislike for all things flash may be influencing me here)

use the google keywords tool to choose relevant keyords it can show you avg search volumes per month which is very good for taking the guess work out of the keyword game.

http://www.googleanalytics.com set up your account install the tracking on the site and you will be able to provide relevant feedback to your customers.

Number of unique visitors
    length of visit
    bounce rate
    favourite pages
    and loads more

It also has the benefit of having a stylish presentation which appeals to customers.

All of the above comes from my own experience you can check mout http://www.dmacmedia.ie to see some of our work hope some of this helps.;)

I have yet to come across an Irish professional developer who uses a WYSIWYG web development tool. (Lets leave the one or two man graphic design agencies who may throw brochure sites together using golive out of this) While I have come across people who use dreamweaver, they conduct the majority of the development in code view. The application is used more for the syntax highlighting, project management etc.

No obviously down here in Kerry I may not be exposed to the same market, but I have been a professional web developer for seven years now and I have delt with alot of companies. It may also be worth noticing that I have never been asked by a recruiter if I had expereince with any particular development enviroment.

When I use the term 'Hand Code' I am not refering to using notepad. I personally use an IDE to develop in (Zend Studio). But I write the code by hand, I do not use any form of WYSIWYG functionality.

In all my years, most decent companies were using some form of WYSIWYG editor (not neccessarily the WYSIWYG piece, just the ease of adding links etc). 11 years in the business now.

Using a wysiwyg editor speeds up development, even simple task of managing CSS or creating links is quicker in a WYSIWYG than by hand. It's a simple fact. Show me someone who can type a hyperlink than you can create one in Dreamweaver? You've a lot less typing with Dreamweaver obviously.

Anyone who would ever come work for me - would have to be proficient in a WYSIWYG editor.

I don't deal with the SEO part of our business (I'm just a code monkey) but everything I have read recently indicates that correctly structured code is very very beneficial when it comes to the likes of google etc. In my past experience as well, I have found it generally easier to 'move up the rankings' with logicially structured code.

Yes I agree it can be beneficial, however it is not "increasingly important" as you stated in your orinigal post and certainly not "very very beneficial". It all comes down to the sites strucutre overall. If you want to use plain old HTML, you can still achieve the same results on the search engines as with any well structured document.

SligoToday wrote: »
    Search engine optimisation is a real buzzword these days but its not that complicated.

Really?? I'd love to hear other SEOs view on this one! :)

It's not complicated if you aren't in a competitive area. When it gets competitive, that's where it gets complicated!

Really?? I'd love to hear other SEOs view on this one! :)

It's not complicated if you aren't in a competitive area. When it gets competitive, that's where it gets complicated!

Care to elaborate? I have difficulty in seeing how competition adds complication to SEO

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Care to elaborate? I have difficulty in seeing how competition adds complication to SEO

I would assume what tomED is suggesting is that if you have a site where there isnt much competition for the terms and keywords then you are going to appear near the top of google without too much hassle once you do some basic meta tags with keywrrds. Say for example though you are a web design business, obviously a competitive area, well you have plenty of other sites in competition out there fighting for postion on google using the same keywords, web design, web developement etc etc. Therefore the SEO job is more complicated to try and get your site ahead of theirs in the rankings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

Search engine optimisation is a real buzzword these days but its not that complicated. A few simple truths we have found.
    So I wonder what you can do then for my hotel site? And I wouldn't mind if you could help me rank my airline ticket site? Now how about doing this on a global scale, not just Irish search results?

Obviously you haven't actually had experience of competitive SEO. I've been involved in SEO for a number of years now, and I still cant get my head around most of it. I confess to reading the odd patent, and running the odd SEO experiment, and I can say hand on heart it's extremely complex to work out the ins-and-outs of how and why Search Engines rank sites as they do. Even still the odd soul considers me to be an expert in this field.

I agree completely that SEO is a buzzword, but anyone who tells you SEO is simple obviously has limited knowledge, and has no experience in competitive Internet niches.

There's my €0.02 :)

I agree completely that SEO is a buzzword, but anyone who tells you SEO is simple obviously has limited knowledge, and has no experience in competitive Internet niches.

There's my €0.02 :)

I agree with the above! my statement was made from my own experience which has not been extensive when it comes to the competitive niches you are talking about.

I mistook the term "competitive" to mean competition between web designers, My bad. I need to go and read some stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 GazaM

It is entirely true. If you're using tables for anything other than the display of tabular data, then you're not writing clean code. Web site accessibility isn't just about creating semantic markup for search engine spiders to crawl effectively, or having good manners and respect for people with dissabilities... it's quickly becoming law.

Also, I've yet to come across a professional web designer who used any form of WYSIWYG editor for their work. If you can't hand code high quality HTML & CSS (and maybe a bit of Javascript for good measure :P) then you shouldn't be charging people for a service you can't provide. HTML, CSS & Javascript aren't that complicated (you can learn them here for free).

GazaM wrote: »
    It is entirely true. If you're using tables for anything other than the display of tabular data, then you're not writing clean code. Web site accessibility isn't just about creating semantic markup for search engine spiders to crawl effectively, or having good manners and respect for people with dissabilities... it's law.

It's not law in Ireland yet. But it should be.

You're absolutely right, thanks oeb. I've made a bit of a correction in my original post ;) AFAIK though, it is law for government websites etc. URL="http://www.w3.org/WAI/Policy/#Ireland"]link[/URL, but not for anyone else. Anyone have more info on that? So anyone working on a contract to design a government related site must make it accessible.

In any case, making your sites accessible is just good practice, and I'm sure most businesses wouldn't want to lose out on potential customers due to their web designers laziness.

You're absolutely right, thanks oeb. I've made a bit of a correction in my original post ;) AFAIK though, it is law for government websites etc. URL="http://www.w3.org/WAI/Policy/#Ireland"]link[/URL, but not for anyone else. Anyone have more info on that? So anyone working on a contract to design a government related site must make it accessible.

In any case, making your sites accessible is just good practice, and I'm sure most businesses wouldn't want to lose out on potential customers due to their web designers laziness.

Alot of larger companies or organizations that I have dealt with (From Irish Chamber of Commerce groups to multi-national companies) do have accessibility very high on their checklist. I believe that any professional web development agency should feel the ethecial responsibility to deliver the best possible solution to their clients. Accesibility and useability should rate very highly on any potential solution.

It is entirely true. If you're using tables for anything other than the display of tabular data, then you're not writing clean code. Web site accessibility isn't just about creating semantic markup for search engine spiders to crawl effectively, or having good manners and respect for people with dissabilities... it's quickly becoming law.

Hi Gaza,

Well this brings up the whole debate on coding standards which is completely different to what was mentioned in the original post.... I don't think anyone wants to go there on this thread - do they?

With all the facts on the table. It's already requried under EU law for all commercial sites to be accessible - it just hasn't been enforced.

The fact remains - you don't need to code your website to the latest coding standards for it to be accessible.

In fact, you could go as far as saying that coding your website to the latest standard actually goes against the fundementals of the EU accessibility directive.

One of the key factors in the directive is to provide "accessibility for all", which means that providing our sites in the latest coding standards, that won't work on older browsers, is in fact in breach of this. Now there's something you can debate and it's something that is being debated for WCAG 2.0 - hence the reason we don't see the new standards based around coding issues, but more common sensical approaches.
    Also, I've yet to come across a professional web designer who used any form of WYSIWYG editor for their work. If you can't hand code high quality HTML & CSS (and maybe a bit of Javascript for good measure :P) then you shouldn't be charging people for a service you can't provide. HTML, CSS & Javascript aren't that complicated (you can learn them here for free).

Again - I don't know how long you are doing this, but I'd love to know how many companies you've worked with.

Because someone uses a WYSIWYG editor, does not mean they can't code high quality HTML & CSS. It just means they know they can get the job done a lot quicker.

One point that is not being made clear here is what people are actually using a WYSIWYG for.

Obviously if you are in the midst of writing code, you are not going to be using the visual element of the WYSIWYG. However, if you are working on creating the template, the visual element is of great help.

Oh and yeah, I've still yet to see someone who cant type a hyperlink quicker than you can do one in a WYSIWYG editor.....

Again, this is a common and huge misconception from web developers/designers.

They think that because their site adheres to WCAG 1.0 or that it passes the Bobby Test, that their site is automatically accessible and user friendly for people with activity limitations.

The only way to truly check if a website is accessible is to try use it with the tools available to people with activity limitations.

How many of you have actually tried this?

I would imagine I'm probably the only one here that has gone through this process.

Again, this is a common and huge misconception from web developers/designers.

They think that because their site adheres to WCAG 1.0 or that it passes the Bobby Test, that their site is automatically accessible and user friendly for people with activity limitations.

The only way to truly check if a website is accessible is to try use it with the tools available to people with activity limitations.

I would imagine I'm probably the only one here that has gone through this process.

It is something I go through on a regular basis. And as I said above, I believe every professional designer should have the ethicial requirement to do it.

It is something I go through on a regular basis. And as I said above, I believe every professional designer should have the ethicial requirement to do it.

Ok brilliant - so how often do you have workshops with people with activity limitations?

And how important do you feel coding standards are for making a website user friendly and accessible for people with activity limitations?

• Advertisement

Workshops never, but I personally know people with sight limitations who I can pass websites by (One of them in particular uses a screen reader, the other just requires larger text everywhere). And there are tools available to duplicate color blindness etc which I pass all sites through.

Coding standards? It's possible to get by without them, but if we take for example a website positioned using tables, and one positioned totally through CSS then in 99% of cases the data is structured better in the CSS styled ones, and when read by something such as a screen reader that will render the source rather than the version that is pre-rendered by the web browser than the information there will be read out in a logical manner.

Coding Standards however have further benifits. They are a starting ground for anyone who wants to implement any way of viewing websites. For example, if a new web browser (Regardless of if it is visual or not) is developed from scratch in the morning the rendering engine will be based on the current standards. Also we can be relitivly sure that future upgrades will continue to support these standards further down the line. This will ensure that our work appears as intended.

Now what is more important than coding standards is coding practice. For example un-obtrusive javascript, css based layouts etc (It's perfectly possible to validate a site layed out using tables).

Coding standards? It's possible to get by without them, but if we take for example a website positioned using tables, and one positioned totally through CSS then in 99% of cases the data is structured better in the CSS styled ones, and when read by something such as a screen reader that will render the source rather than the version that is pre-rendered by the web browser than the information there will be read out in a logical manner.

I can't disgree with this obviously. Since xHTML was developed to seperate data from design, it's obviously going to be structured better. However, it doesn't mean that a website can't be developed in HTML and work just as well with a screen reader.

Coding Standards however have further benifits. They are a starting ground for anyone who wants to implement any way of viewing websites. For example, if a new web browser (Regardless of if it is visual or not) is developed from scratch in the morning the rendering engine will be based on the current standards. Also we can be relitivly sure that future upgrades will continue to support these standards further down the line. This will ensure that our work appears as intended.

Again, this debate wasn't about coding standards and I fully agree with you that coding standards will have further benefits - that's why they are being developed.

However, you just have to look at the latest release of FF and IE8 Beta to see that it doesn't neccessarily mean that they will continue to PROPERLY support these standards.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for standards and we all know as developers how much easier our job would be if there were standards that everyone adhered to. However, that's an ideal world at the moment.
    Now what is more important than coding standards is coding practice. For example un-obtrusive javascript, css based layouts etc (It's perfectly possible to validate a site layed out using tables).

Agreed.

Wow, there's been a few replies with a lot of interesting info since just last night, where do I start? :rolleyes: In any case, the one thing I don't want to happen is for this thread to turn into a "flame war" (I hate using that phrase). And tomED, my original reply wasn't meant to be a personal attack or anything like that against you, and there's been a lot of stuff which has been cleared up since then so I guess I'll just get started...
    With all the facts on the table. It's already requried under EU law for all commercial sites to be accessible - it just hasn't been enforced.

Thanks for clearing that one up. Any idea if there's any plan to start enforcing it any time soon?
    The fact remains - you don't need to code your website to the latest coding standards for it to be accessible.

Absolutely true, but not using the latest and greatest accessibility methods and using tables for layout are two entirely different things I think everyone here can agree. ;)
    In fact, you could go as far as saying that coding your website to the latest standard actually goes against the fundementals of the EU accessibility directive.

One of the key factors in the directive is to provide "accessibility for all", which means that providing our sites in the latest coding standards, that won't work on older browsers, is in fact in breach of this. Now there's something you can debate and it's something that is being debated for WCAG 2.0 - hence the reason we don't see the new standards based around coding issues, but more common sensical approaches.

That's an interesting point and one I've also been thinking about lately. There's really no easy solution to this, but I think we have to make progress, however slowly. At some point some browsers just have to cease to matter. I think we're in a situation now where we can safely design for at least IE6 and above (for people who are using visual browsers), and by using proper HTML / xHTML & CSS we can ensure that our site is accessible to people using screen reading software or text based browsers etc.
    Again - I don't know how long you are doing this, but I'd love to know how many companies you've worked with.

In short, not many. That's a fair question though. I'm currently working on my portfolio, and also working on a personal project that's stressing me out no end (I'm sure you can all relate to that one :rolleyes:). But the fact that I'm not around that long doesn't have too much to do with the fact that I really do enjoy doing this and learning as much as I can, and I think that's what's most important in these cases.
    Because someone uses a WYSIWYG editor, does not mean they can't code high quality HTML & CSS. It just means they know they can get the job done a lot quicker.

One point that is not being made clear here is what people are actually using a WYSIWYG for.

Obviously if you are in the midst of writing code, you are not going to be using the visual element of the WYSIWYG. However, if you are working on creating the template, the visual element is of great help.

Oh and yeah, I've still yet to see someone who cant type a hyperlink quicker than you can do one in a WYSIWYG editor.....

This is probably the biggest misunderstanding of this thread, and one I'd like to clear up right now. Everyone has a different workflow, and everyone likes instant gratification (I'm probably using that phrase in the completely wrong context, but you get the point). With tools like Coda, Firebug and the Web Developer Toolbar you can write code and instantly see how it looks in a browser, which is great. And with advanced text editors such as Textmate on Mac, Notepad++ on Windows and Gedit on Linux it's possible to speed up you're workflow with templates and 'snippets' (e.g. you type <a and the editor automatically creates a full link tag, allowing you to tab into the href="", title="" sections etc.). This is a common workflow I know most designers to be using (through friends, blogs etc.) and it's also the one I use. If you use dreamweaver to insert a link because it's quicker then that's the same thing, and nobody's going to take issue with that.

What I personally thought you were talking about is people using the likes of Dreamweaver or other 'real' WYSIWYG editors to create their whole sites, which in pretty much every case outputs less than clean code, and just isn't proffesional. If you're a designer who can't code, then find someone who can and outsource the coding or even team up, just don't slice your Photoshop (or whatever graphics editor you use) design in a WYSIWYG editor and hand a shoddy website to a paying client.

Absolutely, testing your design in whatever screen readers, browsers, text-browsers etc. you can get your hands on should be standard practice for every designer, and I think it is now (for the decent ones at least).
    And there are tools available to duplicate color blindness etc which I pass all sites through.

That's an interesting one, and something I admit I don't do. Do you find that affecting your design decisions oeb or are you just curious as to how people with the various forms of colour blindness see your sites?

I only have one more thing to quote and then I'm wrapping this up. ;)
    However, you just have to look at the latest release of FF and IE8 Beta to see that it doesn't neccessarily mean that they will continue to PROPERLY support these standards.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for standards and we all know as developers how much easier our job would be if there were standards that everyone adhered to. However, that's an ideal world at the moment.

That's a great point tomED, but I do think those standards that aren't universal in browsers are mostly visual (such as text-shadow etc.), CSS3 stuff basically. Most modern browsers really do have a fairly consistent support for the standards which count for accessibility. I would be interested in finding out more about this though, to see if there are any accessibility standards not supported etc. but the most important thing really is the seperation of data from layout, and that that data should be layed out in a logical form.

I forgot to mention one thing.
    Since xHTML was developed to seperate data from design, it's obviously going to be structured better. However, it doesn't mean that a website can't be developed in HTML and work just as well with a screen reader.

This is a common misconception. HTML 4.01 was actually designed to seperate data from design. In fact, xHTML 1.0 is practically identical to HTML 4.01 with the only difference being stricter syntax in xHTML. Both xHTML 1.0 and HTML 4.01 have the EXACT same semantics. So tomED you're right in saying that HTML 4.01 will work 100% as well as xHTML 1.0 with a screen reader etc.

Here's a good resource on the topic - HTML versus XHTML
    And also, this is a really interesting blog post relating to this - Link

That's an interesting one, and something I admit I don't do. Do you find that affecting your design decisions oeb or are you just curious as to how people with the various forms of colour blindness see your sites?

To be honest, I have never been handed a design by one of the graphic designers here and had to reject it on that basis. You would want to be pretty blind to colour and contrast issues yourself to make designs illegible to people with these issues. There are plugins for firefox, and standalone apps that deal with this though.

@ Gazza - ok again I didn't go into detail on what the different versions of HTML were developed for. I really didn't want to go down that road. But yes I agree with you.

@ Never a flame war with me! It's just a healthy discussion - I've enjoyed it! :)

I agree that the biggest problem was specifying what exactly was being done with the editing of sites wasn't clear. That's where most of the conversation came from.

All in all - if the OP didn't get anything from this - he wasn't reading it! :)

Advertisement