Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking in galway city

Options
  • 30-07-2008 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

whats the story if i live in woodquay and buy a car? do i get free parking along the street? and if so how do i go about it?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

sound thanks.. jus wudnt have found that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

"You must be on the Register of Electors for the address mentioned."

Oh great, we've even racism in residents parking permits.

Actually ... it's not just racism, Irish nationals who weren't ordinarily resident at September last year aren't eligible to be on this year's roll either.

Why on earth do they have such a silly rule???? Grr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I lived in Woodquay for a few years then got a car. It was the reason i moved out of Woodquay!!

You are competing with shoppers for parking spaces - and just because you have a permit doesn't entitle you to 'reserve' a space. It nearly drove me mad. I couldn't move the car at the weekend as I'd never get a parking space again until well after dark during the week.

Getting in there and finding a space between 5pm and 7pm was another nightmare. You'll end up doing laps of Woodquay. Oh and at time they would only give me a permit for st Brendans avenue, so even if I could only find a space in Woodquay 'square' I ran the risk of a ticket if I left the car there temporarily. So in short.... I moved out. Oh and one more thing, drunk people don't care what they sit on, lean against or piss against. And you will also be 'blocked in' on more than one occasion. I would be late for work trying to maneuver the car out from between two other cars.

Jeez! I still get mad now when I think back at the frustration of living in Woodquay with a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

JustMary wrote: »
    "You must be on the Register of Electors for the address mentioned."

Oh great, we've even racism in residents parking permits.

Actually ... it's not just racism, Irish nationals who weren't ordinarily resident at September last year aren't eligible to be on this year's roll either.

Why on earth do they have such a silly rule???? Grr.

Not just that, but the running around to get all these forms signed by some random justice of the peace (or whatever they're called these days...) sooo annoying! (that reminds me - need to send my renewal form in...). For a bloody parking disk! It's probably easier to get a passport in this country...

On the upside, anyone can get on the electoral register, that's not a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You say you live in Woodquay? Why not just drive it into the Corrib, no chance of it getting clamped there! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

You can download the forms from the corporation website, and with it is a from for the register of electors and a list of justices of the peace and how to contact them (you can also get it signed/stamped by a solicitor now). You will need a copy of the vehicle licensing cert and insurance cert for your car with the addresses shown to be your address in Woodquay, as well as a utility bill such as ESB or telephone (if renting, a letter from your landlord will suffice). You'll need to get the register of electors form signed and stamped by a Garda. Even if you aren't eligible to vote, send in the form with your permit application.

I had to do all of that for my parents last week, and when I dropped off the forms they told me we should hear from them in 3-4 days. The people on the desk in city hall are easy to deal with and try to make life easier; unfortunately I've found from experience that their managers are far less helpful.

Advertisement