Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping a kitten or letting her go?

Options
  • 30-07-2008 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi all, sorry that this is a long one. A couple of months ago, you all on this forum gave me some great advice about this puppy who I'd rescued, found a new home for, but in the meantime had fallen in love with, and I was having second thoughts about giving him away. That time, you advised me (absolutely rightly) that the new home I'd found for the puppy was far better than that which I could offer him, and despite my selfish desire to keep him to enrich my own life, I had to put him first. I did, and he's now a very happy little dog living with his new adoptive mom.

Now I'm back in almost the same situation again, only this time it's a kitten. (I live in a part of the world which doesn't take very good care of animals, hence a lot of waifs and strays crossing my path). On Sunday, a gorgeous little kitten wandered up to me, mewing for attention, and on looking down at her I realised she was blind. The vet has given her an otherwise-clean bill of health - she's been blind since birth. She's a wonderful, sweet, fun, crazy little kitten - a regular kitten, basically - but with the added 'awwwww' factor that she can't open her little eyes.

As I'd previously felt I wasn't in a position to take a pet (in the case of the puppy) due to travelling a lot with work etc, I immediately started looking for a new home for the kitten, and I think I've found one. But I've now realised that, in the last three days, I've already started to fall in love with the little one, and am thinking of all sorts of reasons why the potential new owners would not take as good care of her as I would, etc. Now, the situation (IMO) is not quite the same as it was with the puppy. For one thing, a cat requires less work and attention than a dog, e.g. it's easier to leave a cat with a neighbour for a few days if I have to go away with work etc., plus the fact that the kittens blind means she'll always be an indoor cat, so living in an apartment seems less of a problem.

But I wonder if I'm just falling victim again to the same selfish impulses as before, that because I want someone to give a bit more love to, I would be denying the kitten the chance to live in a home which might be able to give her more. The main 'plus' the new owner would have over me is that one partner in the couple would be home most of the day, unlike me who works (albeit close to home and can come home to lunch). The main 'negative' against me is, I guess, I'm scared of the commitment that having a pet entails - not being able to take off for the weekend without planning, etc. But I wonder if the positives of having a pet in my life would outweight these (pretty trivial) negatives?

Sorry, I realise this has become pretty rambling, but I just would love some advice. I think I've gotta make my mind up pretty soon, cos if I keep the kitten with me much longer, there's no way I could let her go, no matter how 'sensible' I want to be about this decision

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 meptastic

Having a kitty in an apartment generally is something I have seen work well, don't see why it would have to be blind in order for it to be happy indoors :confused: I know lots of happy indoor cats who aren't, have one myself.

Now the one thing you mention that I would have a problem with is where you say you would leave her with a neighbour if you went away. Your apartment setup would be perfect for a blind cat, but you would have to be careful not to move things around, as this would cause her distress, and leaving her in a neighbours house/apartment would obviously be thoroughly distressing and disorientating, as she could not find her way around at all.

Is there any chance you could get a friend or neighbour (one she already knows well) to stay in your apartment while you are away instead? Or at least to spend a couple of hours a day there, and call in once or twice more besides? In either case, I would then say, yes by all means, sounds like a perfect home for her. It's just that being moved around would be very bewildering to a blind cat, and should be avoided if at all possible.

So if you neither of the solutions I suggest are possible for when you are away, then as harsh as it sounds, I would believe the home you have found would be better for her. A blind cat definitely needs stability, and to know she can find her way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

I have a 12yrs old cat that went blind recently and does everything a normal cat would do and hasn't stopped him for being head of the colonie either (just don't think the rest have noticed yet or want to take over) I have had to sit the kids down and explain that they can't leave doors open were he can get out or windows he can fall out of, it tuck him a while but he has it down to a tee now were every thing is and how to start a fight with the cat who damaged his first eye before the other one went blind. Great care does however have to be taken around windows he can fall out off or the cooker were he can burn himself in other wards I've had to restrict his movement through certain parts of the house. ie don't forget to leave the toilet seat down and drain any water in sinks, baths or buckets she could fall in to.

I think I would only keep her if you have some one you can trust to stick to certain rulers and come to your home to care for her if you are away, or someone who will keep her in the same room every time when minding her she will get use to this room as well if it's on a regular basis.

I have a very strong connection with my one eye and other blind eye mammys one and only cat that he is learning to listen to me tell him were he's walking or being put down on something and crys to be let down of things he shouldn't have gotten up on in the first place. When I say easy to him he knows to slow down there's something in the way or bed, means he's being put on the bed so he Knows were he is etc. one word is enough for every thing ie easy, bed, table, food or water if I have to pick him up and move him for any reason, I notice he cops on to were he is immediately once I say the word.

You are very good for looking after her and fair play to you this will not be an easy decision to make with her condition pulling at your heart strings but make out a list of pro's and con's for her when people have given you advice and then make your choice.

Can I ask did the vet say she has eyes and if it's worth trying surgery to check if anything could be done, just curious ? If her eyes don't open at all. A friend of mine had her kitten operated on and they found her eyes were way back in the socks so they cut the eye lids open and tightened up the muscle at the back of the eye, she gets the odd eye infection but other wise is fine. Not questioning your vet just me being curious as all ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

How often are you away? I don't mind leaving my cats on their own for 24 hours- I leave plenty of dry food and water and clean litter trays and they manage fine. If I'm away for a second night I ask my neighbour to come in and check their food and water. If it was any longer than three nights I would bring them to a cattery. But I agree with Meptastic, it would not be a good idea to bring your kitten to another house to be looked after while you are away. Even sighted cats don't like moving around much.

If you are only away for very short periods occasionally how about getting a friend for your kitten - they'll keep each other company!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I admire your sentiments - you are so kind to keep taking in these little waifs! I would be a little bit worried though about leaving a blind kitten on its own while you will be working.

Even though my two apartment cats can see - they have done stupid things like fall off windowsills, wardrobes, get tangled up in stuff. Luckily I've always been there when anything like that happened, but it does make me think that a blind kitten would need a lot of extra supervision.

I also think your kitten might be more at risk of being lonely and bored at home on its own, as it won't have the benefit of being able to look out windows. Just think how quiet and dull it would be to be shut up inside the same few rooms day after day on your own, when you can't have the entertainment of looking out windows to watch the world go by, stalking birds and insects through the glass, etc. Smells and sounds aren't going to change much inside, so it would be a pretty boring life.

I think your best option might be to give the kitten to the indoor home where someone will be there to take care of it every day. (sorry!)

Alternatively, if your heart is absolutely set on keeping him, you should get another kitten so they can be friends, and make sure you come home at lunchtimes to check on him.

Blackcat had good advice about not moving things around and teaching him the names of places. (LOL - my cats don't even know their names - the dumbos!)

I would agree with the others who said it would be better to get a petsitter coming into your place when you are away, rather than moving the cat out. And the option of a good cattery is also worth considering, as if you use the same one regularily it will get familiar with the environment and will be kept secure there. The good ones do work out being quite expensive though as the days add up (especially if you have 2 cats) but if you can afford it, its a great solution.

BTW - if you do decide to give the blind kitten away - I think you should adopt a couple of rescue kittens!! :D There are lots in need of lovely homes and there is obviously space in your heart for a pet - must be why they keep coming your way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Hey all, thanks for the words of advice, I've taken them all into consideration and have given this lots of thought.

I've decided to keep her. I just wasn't convinced the new would-be-owners were that into her, were taking seriously enough the idea of having a kitten (let alone a blind one). It's a strange feeling, realising that now she is mine - I wasn't really planning to take on a pet just yet, but now there's this gentle warm glow spreading within me, and I think my cat and I are gonna be very happy together :)

One last question:
    One of you mentioned getting a friend for her - this occurred to me as well. My gut instinct is that having a 'friend' would be much better for my little one, since there'll be times when I'll be away for a few days in a row. (I've decided, on your advice, that I won't send her to my neighbour - who had offered to take her - but instead will ask the neighbour or others to come into my place each day and feed and entertain her for a while). The only things holding me back are (a) I live in a relatively small one-bed flat - is two cats going to end up a bit over-whelming?!? and (b) what if they don't get along? I want a friend for my blind kitty, not a rival, and I've known pets who don't get along (for whatever personality reasons!!!) I think if I'm gonna get a friend for her, I should probably get one sooner rather than later, but also don't want to rush into anything either!!!

Once again, thanks to you all for great advice. This forum has been so helpful to me in the last few months!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

One last question:
    One of you mentioned getting a friend for her - this occurred to me as well. My gut instinct is that having a 'friend' would be much better for my little one, since there'll be times when I'll be away for a few days in a row. (I've decided, on your advice, that I won't send her to my neighbour - who had offered to take her - but instead will ask the neighbour or others to come into my place each day and feed and entertain her for a while). The only things holding me back are (a) I live in a relatively small one-bed flat - is two cats going to end up a bit over-whelming?!? and (b) what if they don't get along? I want a friend for my blind kitty, not a rival, and I've known pets who don't get along (for whatever personality reasons!!!) I think if I'm gonna get a friend for her, I should probably get one sooner rather than later, but also don't want to rush into anything either!!!

Congrats on your new addition. I believe it's customary to provide a pictures now? :D

I have a blind kitty and she is definitely happier since she was allowed to mingle with the other cats.

One thing though - I've found that integrating a blind cat into the Horde took longer than a sighted cat as Lily can't read body language so she's prone to hiss/ hit out first and think later. You do need to be a little more patient and to let them work out their own boundaries but it's worth it in the end. Lily has her targets friends chosen now and plays for hours with the other cats. :D She doesn't let being blind hold her back in any way so be prepared for normal daredevil cat antics with yours.

Things I'm most likely to be yelling:

"Lily, get down from there. You can't SEEEEE" and "OH feck, don't climb the fridge" and "Lily, leave Yama (Great Dane) alone" while Lily wombles on regardless :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Hi,

I'm delighted you're keeping her. From my experience, I don't think it's absoluately essential that two cats in one household have to be "best friends" to get along and to be company for each other. I am now on my third pair of cats and unfortunately none of the pairs were a great success and although there were fights, they were always those amusing silent fights that never resulted in injuries!! The current pair appear to be the best match so far - they only know each other three months but I'm still hopefull of seeing them curl up together!!!!

When you do get a friend for your kitten make sure you won't be away for the first 3-4 weeks if at all possible. And try and let the two cats to get to know each other on their own terms. It doesn't matter if they fight initially although do separate them if it looks like it's getting serious. There is some good advice on www.kittenadoption.ie about introducing cats.

Regarding space, you will need two litter trays so you will have to decide where you can fit them in. Other than that, the cats won't really take up space - they are very adaptable at finding cozy places to curl up and sleep!!

Best of luck!

Hi again Camilla,
    thrilled to hear she is staying with you, and especially that you are taking her particular needs so much to heart. I cannot imagine a better home for her, after all you have said.

I am very much in agreement with SMK. I'd even go further and say your first port of call should be Kitten Adoption right now. Not only do they have the best of advice for every situation you may come across, they also usually have kittens for adoption, will arrange somebody to call to your home to ensure the right kitten is matched with you, and they are just dying for homes like yours, where the kitty is guaranteed to be kept indoors. Also, in a case like yours, a lot of extra effort would likely be made to ensure your blind darling gets the right companion.

You will need to make an account to use the KA boards, but it doesn't usually take long to get approved, and we will all be very happy to welcome you on there once you do.
    Hugs,
    Mo

Deleted as post duplicated: sorry guys no idea why that happened

• Advertisement

Congratulations on your new best pal Camilla!! :D I can tell you are going to be a very kind and caring pet owner and you'll get your reward back in spades!

I have 2 cats in an apartment, (although its a 2 bed) and they seem quite content - but yes, they have COMPLETELY taken over!! :D Its great though! I love waking up in the morning to a little furry creature lying on my back purring like mad! And finding a cat hair in the cornflakes. Thats great too. :rolleyes:

You can actually add space for the cats by giving them an extra dimension ie climbing space. I got a thing for them to climb and hide in which you drap over a door - its the best thing ever. It was outrageously expensive though - e180. I'm such a sap! If there is a v. good pet store near you check out the options there. A tall cat tree would be a really nice addition for them. (Lidl have good value ones every now and then) But you could also just clear off shelf space and make a little ladder for them. I also used to leave drawers open for them when they were tiny, so they would have steps up to the top of the dresser!

Don't know what your complex is like, but I also let my guys out for a wander around the corridors sometimes. They seem to like the opportunity to explore, and come running back in after 15 mins or so or if any of the neighbours come along.

Have a great time with your new little pets! You can PM me if you ever need any ideas on apartment cat entertainment!

Not sure the tallest things available would be the most suitable for a blind kitty. I'd be a bit worried about her falling down and not being so easily prepared for it as her sighted pals. I'd go more for moderate-height kitty-trees, and plenty of them ;) They come in all kinds of heights and designs, and some of the not-quite-so-high ones have loads of variety and different kinds of things to play and sleep in.

I'd be more inclined to go for those sorts for a blind kitty myself. 2 or 3 of those could certainly set back the bank balance a bit, but one right now would give loads of entertainment for a young kitten, and you could probably afford another before she got bored of that, and then same again LOL!

Without going for huge height, there are plenty that set me drooling to buy for my ferrets: I'm not happy to give them the highest sort either, for similar reasons. The sheer variety available in these is incredible though - harder to choose than shoes LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Something like a tall stationary cat tree is no obstacle to a blind cat once they've had a chance to explore and map it out. As long as you don't move it around they'll be running up and down at 100mph like every other cat. The height isn't as important as the design of it - you want wide platforms close together.

Banana Leaf, Gozo, Zeus, Silos Montilla

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Just wanted to say congrats on the new addition Camilla! I remember your post about the puppy and my heart went out to you then. I think a kitten is a much better option for you than a dog. Best of luck with her!

Glad to hear your keeping her on, animals bring a whole new world of joy and quality to your life. Do remember what I said though keep the toilet lid down and windows closed for her safety, aldi or lidls did window screens at one point I'm sure they'll do them again so you can put them up and leave the windows open. Even though she is blind she will still seek her own independents and I would allow her to do so as long as you've proofed your home for her.

I see your thinking of a friend as well, given the area you live in and the way you help the animals chance's are the right one will find it's way to you. If not I would suggest you talk to a shelter about a cat they have used as a surrogate mam or dad these animals will take the kitten under their wing and will soon learn it's needs, like one of the last cats I rescued I could see she had that special way about her and turned out three kittens followed needing extra care and she is great with them caring and chastising them has done the kitties the world of good. These cats often get over looked because they are normally with kittens when seen and everyone wants kittens not adults so you would be giving him/her a chance of a normal life and the kitten would gain a lot from having a gentle friend to look out for her. I'm lucky to have three surrogates and they all seem to work together taking care of the kittens you couldn't find a more placid cat then a surrogate.

Good luck in your decision and I hope it all works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Hi, we moved into a house in Feb last year, the previous owners left the cat behind sowe have been looking after him, our neighbours recently moved out and left their cat behind, the 2 got together and now there is a little kitten..... the 2 adult cats have always lived outdoors, sleeping in sheds, the first thing that got me aware of the kitten was this loud swawking noise coing fromthe back of a van........, there it was, a little cute ginger kitten, what do we do now....., never had a kitten before, no idea how old it is either, its eyes are open...

I know the kitten will have to be kept indoors because the oher neighbours have a little sh*t of a jack russel that seems to go for anything that moves...

Any advice on how we should start to look after the kitten?

I really do not understand why people seem to do that so often! (Leave cats behind when they are moving.) Why do people treat cats like disposable bits of rubbish?!

Fair play for looking after the abandoned cats. When the kittens have been reared you better get the parents neutered (you could get the male down now) so you won't have to deal with this problem again. You will end up with quite a colony otherwise.

For kitten advice have a look here:
    http://pawsonline.info/lookingafterkittens.htm
    http://www.kittenadoption.org/kittenCare.htm

If the mother is still around, she will do all the looking after - is she be allowed into your house? It would be great if they could both be kept inside - or at least keep the kitten in and let the mum in and out. Just get a litter tray - the mother will figure out what it is for and will teach the kitten.

Just keep an eye that the kitten is gaining weight & growing well and looking bright eyed and its ears are clean.

At 6 - 8 weeks the kitten will need to be wormed and vaccinated at 12 weeks. If you are keeping it, please get it neutered at about 6 months.

Does the neighbour's Jack Russell come into your garden? That would drive me mad. I like dogs but I wouldn't tolerate one chasing my pets on my property! Maybe explain you have a kitten and ask them to make an effort to keep it on their property.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

CamperMan wrote: »
    Hi, we moved into a house in Feb last year, the previous owners left the cat behind sowe have been looking after him, our neighbours recently moved out and left their cat behind, the 2 got together and now there is a little kitten..... the 2 adult cats have always lived outdoors, sleeping in sheds, the first thing that got me aware of the kitten was this loud swawking noise coing fromthe back of a van........, there it was, a little cute ginger kitten, what do we do now....., never had a kitten before, no idea how old it is either, its eyes are open...

I know the kitten will have to be kept indoors because the oher neighbours have a little sh*t of a jack russel that seems to go for anything that moves...

Any advice on how we should start to look after the kitten?

Congrats on your new arrival CamperMan! I would suggest starting a new topic on this, you might get more replies that way... Good luck!

the mother has never come into our home, the last owners never let it into their own house either so the mother has always been an outside cat...., I have no idea how old this kitten is, its small....

I don't know if there are other kittens lurking about, in the old farm sheds,

after a bit of research on the web, I would say the kitten is maybe 2 to 3 weeks old, it has started to walk, half the time he falls over, eyes are open... and blue, weighs about 200grams

• Advertisement

I'd easily say three weeks as the eyes are wide open, she/he looks well but should still be with mammy at this age,if you get a big box he/she can't climb out of and leave the kitchen door open then mammy may come in own her own to feed the kittie if not try leaving him/her in the shed and see will mammy feed kittie there but keep an eye on her encase she tries to take kittie away leave water and food (chicken/turkey) not all cats will take to cat food ? but if she's getting feed while she takes care of baby she should stick around.

You can give baby kittie milk (you can get it from the vet) but I wouldn't give him/her food just yet, kitties very young and this could upset the digestion system and cause problems further down the road leave it for at leased another week and a few days.

Where there is one there's always more given they weren't taken care of in the first place you may not find any more but please do check, if you are afraid to go on to the property contact the local guards and inform them of the situation and that you would like to go on the property for this reason only, I don't think they'll have a problem with that and you've covered your back as well.

Good luck fill us in on how you get on and fare play for looking after them.

the mother cat is around, we let her in the house so little ginger can have a feed, when we go out for a few hours, we let the mother out and put the little one in a box to keep him warm, the first day we found him he could not stop shouting, yesterday, we didn't here a sound, all through the night, he was snuggled up in his box not making a sound, 7am this morning, let mother in again to feed and there together.

No idea where to look to see if there are more kittens, it's an old farm with many places to hide, but will be looking today just in case

CamperMan wrote: »
    the mother cat is around, we let her in the house so little ginger can have a feed, when we go out for a few hours, we let the mother out and put the little one in a box to keep him warm, the first day we found him he could not stop shouting, yesterday, we didn't here a sound, all through the night, he was snuggled up in his box not making a sound, 7am this morning, let mother in again to feed and there together.

No idea where to look to see if there are more kittens, it's an old farm with many places to hide, but will be looking today just in case

Should have said baby needs to be feed every four hours at this age so if you can keep mammy in at night to that would be a good thing but you sound like you've found a happy medieum so far.

The best to do is to try to follow mammy after she leaves the baby she may go of to feed the rest if there are any or with a bit of luck bring them back to the box. Not everyone agrees with this but I find the males always hang around the mammy and babies when I rescue them so you could try seeing were he is too. You meed to look in places with long grass or over grown bushes any were that looks cosy and comfy, if there's a hay barn that's probably the best place to start, you could try just standing around and just listening (boring I know ) you just might hear them. Also look around were nothing has been touched for years like the van she'll only put them were on one else go's.

Good luck.

I turned the place upside down today, no sign of any other kittens, maybe it was just the one, he must have been in born the back of an old van that I was looking in...

Advertisement