Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which ADSL/broadband router?

Options
  • 30-07-2008 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Can someone recommend a good ADSL/broadband router that I can
    use with eircom broadband, to replace the crappy Netopia one ?
    It needs to have a few ethernet ports, wireless, and a DHCP server
    which actually works.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭guil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

unixpaul wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a good ADSL/broadband router that I can
    use with eircom broadband, to replace the crappy Netopia one ?
    It needs to have a few ethernet ports, wireless, and a DHCP server
    which actually works.

Any recommendations?
    Anything with the name Linksys is always good. I've never used a bad one. Their wireless range is exceptional, and this is on the non Speed Booster models. You will get full coverage in an average sized house. Also, their connectivity is rock solid. They also come with 4 ethernet ports as standard.

Here's one to look at:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=323162

It's inexpensive and has everything you need. Don't worry, the DHCP server works a treat.

People are probably wondering why in these sort of posts I always recommend this router. The answer is obvious, it's just good sense. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Anything with the name Linksys is always good. I've never used a bad one. Their wireless range is exceptional, and this is on the non Speed Booster models. You will get full coverage in an average sized house. Also, their connectivity is rock solid. They also come with 4 ethernet ports as standard.

Here's one to look at:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=323162

It's inexpensive and has everything you need. Don't worry, the DHCP server works a treat.

People are probably wondering why in these sort of posts I always recommend this router. The answer is obvious, it's just good sense. :)
    I have two netopia routers, each one gives significantly different line stats. On the 2247 I get attenuation of 49/50 and snr of 7-13 while the 3347nwg gives me attenuation of 51/52 and snr of 24 (stable) but with a different firmware running on it i get attenuation of 48 and erratic snr of 7-15. What I want to know is would the linksys you linked to give me better line stats?
    Would its wireless range be better than the netopia's I have now?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

DECEiFER wrote: »

I would have to disagree with you there. I think all companies ever so often come up with a dud. I had terrible trouble with the wag54gs a while ago the firware was a disaster - it kept dropping the user settings - also they messed around with the venerable wrt54g a while ago and disappointed a few people to say the least. Also I see lots of complaints about one of their new 'n' routers the wrt150n.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

rc28 wrote: »
    I have two netopia routers, each one gives significantly different line stats. On the 2247 I get attenuation of 49/50 and snr of 7-13 while the 3347nwg gives me attenuation of 51/52 and snr of 24 (stable) but with a different firmware running on it i get attenuation of 48 and erratic snr of 7-15. What I want to know is would the linksys you linked to give me better line stats?
    Would its wireless range be better than the netopia's I have now?

As you are seeing for yourself there is a great deal of variability between equipment - it is nearly impossible to predict the performance of any particular piece of equipment in any particular set of circumstances. For example you ask about the wireless range of the linksys but that may depend on how it 'gets on' with your wireless card for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I use 3com Officeconnect routers myself and find them very good with great wireless range

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

It is true. No company has a perfect track record. All you have to do is read some reviews (Google search, "<router-model> review" like, "WAG354G review"). You can tell that some of the low raters are not very handy with home networks, and the top raters are those who are network proficient.

Equally as important for Wireless is the receiver used on the PC/Laptop. Whether it's built-in or store bought, each will perform differently. I feel I should say that Dell Laptops built-in wi-fi perform quite well, as proven with my dad's Laptop and my WAG354G, which I gave to him.

Advertisement