Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Beers. The Mega Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Jabby wrote: »
    If you all don't mind me saying so but aren't ye all getting a little bit carried away with this 'beers' thing. I think it's a ridiculous idea. The beauty of boards is it's anonymity. Won't this spoil that.
    You dont have to go if you wish to retain your anonymity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

If you all don't mind me saying so but aren't ye all getting a little bit carried away with this 'beers' thing. I think it's a ridiculous idea. The beauty of boards is it's anonymity. Won't this spoil that.

It's quite a common thing these days on Boards! Lifes too short for anonymity!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

No activity here for the last few days. How are we looking for the Beers? Is it definitely gonna be Hardigans?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

DenMan wrote: »
    No activity here for the last few days. How are we looking for the Beers? Is it definitely gonna be Hardigans?

and when

:confused:

irish-stew wrote: »
    and when

:confused:
    Next Friday - 11th. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

is that for definite, i know the poll seems to sugest it, are all those who voted something else happy with it, or is it just going to be asumed thats the time and place

:o

It doesn't bother me where we go Stewy. I must make myself available.

not sure if i'm going yet my self, like jabby kinda like the anonimity my self, if we were all to meet, the boards chat/banter could change in the future

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

The beers isn't going ahead guys. Don't think anyone was too bothered and I've made plans for next weekend now.

Why not takola? I thought the whole point of arranging it in the first place was to make sure that everybody was available and could attend. Have to elsewhere now I am afraid.

• Advertisement

tbh, i think a few of the mods should just get together and say when and where the beers are going to be, theres never going to be a time and place that pleases everyone

;)

tbh, i think a few of the mods should just get together and say when and where the beers are going to be, theres never going to be a time and place that pleases everyone

;)

Hi Stewy

I thought that is exactly what they were supposed to be doing...:confused:

You know, when myself and Xiney agreed to be moderators on the forum they didn't say anything about having to hold all the users of the Sligo forums hands.

I took the criticisms in the last thread and made them right in this thread. People requested a pole in the last thread so I created a pole. It was very simple. There was little interest. If people are still interested in having a beers then feel free to. I have plans for next weekend now. I think there's very little interest in a beers now although people have complained about it before.

Sorry guys, but that's my view on it at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Hi Stewy

I thought that is exactly what they were supposed to be doing...:confused:

They had organised a date and place. As you can see on post #18. Probably best to read the thread first, before giving out about what the Mods are or are not doing.

I'll clear off now with my back-seat modding! :o

sueme wrote: »
    They had organised a date and place. As you can see on post #18. Probably best to read the thread first, before giving out about what the Mods are or are not doing.

I'll clear off now with my back-seat modding! :o

Very true sueme

However if a date and time had been arranged by all, why the cancellation? It was a democratic vote.

without turning the thread into a arguement, i think the reason for the beers not going ahead, seems to be a lack of comitment or interest, since it was annoucned a few pages ago where and when it would be, there has been little responce to that, or its been further debate on where and when

hence it being canceled,

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

we wanted a poll to see which date would be the best to set

we set the date and then tried to gauge interest

there didn't seem to be much interest despite many attempts at reviving this thread. Thus, cancelled.

without turning the thread into a arguement, i think the reason for the beers not going ahead, seems to be a lack of comitment or interest, since it was annoucned a few pages ago where and when it would be, there has been little responce to that, or its been further debate on where and when

hence it being canceled,

:(

Very true Stewy, but who voted for the when and where? Everybody!!!

Very true Stewy, but who voted for the when and where? Everybody!!!

A couple of people voted for that DenMan. Not one of those people have commented in this thread, they've only just voted.

I asked for confirmation on who would be able to make it and I don't think there were any yes's. In fact I think there were no replies. Maybe 1. I have had 1 or 2 pm's apologising for not being able to make it however.

Now you may think that myself or Xiney are obliged to do this but we're not. We're volunteers. I'm not going to volunteer to go and sit in a pub waiting for a bunch of strangers who may or more likely may not show up as they have no interest. It could possibly be the time of year. Sligo people have a really bad track record for actually meeting up at an organised event it would seem. We've proved that recently

I didn't mean anything bad by it at all takola. I just thought it would have been nice to have gone ahead with it. I am not from here and was looking forward to it. No hard feelings. Next time ok! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

I'm not going to volunteer to go and sit in a pub waiting for a bunch of strangers who may or more likely may not show up as they have no interest. [/quote]

Now why would ANYONE want to sit in a pub waiting for a bunch of strangers in the first place. It wouldn't be my idea of a fun night out. It was a stupid idea and thats why there was no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Your probably right Jabby - stoooopid idea...

funny-pictures-cat-does-not-know-your-last-name.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Jabby - it's not really a stupid idea.

There are boards beers all the time and they're quite popular as well. Unfortunately they're all in Dublin.

There's always interest in having a Sligo beers, but people simply don't follow through.

Finally, you've already expressed your opinion of meeting up with people from the Sligo boards for beers - we get it, you think it's stupid and you think we're all losers too. Kindly say something else, you're beginning to annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Frankly I would love to meet you all for beers - if only you'd invite me :(

Frankly I would love to meet you all for beers - if only you'd invite me :(

Of course you would! Now that's it's cancelled! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

'We're all losers too' When and Where did I say that?

All I'm saying is I think the boards are great craic BUT...like a lot of things, shouldn't be taken too seriously and thats what you seem to be doing when you want to meet up like this.

It's not only stupid but it's a bit weird too if you don't mind me saying so.. What surprises me is the amount of people who were interested in it ...or said they were!

My advice to you is this....If you want to meet up with new people, do it the old fashioned way and GO OUT and meet them and not to be depending on strangers (not losers) on cyber space.

PS I have no wish to annoy you or anybody else. All I'm doing is expressing an opinion.

I thought thats what boards was really all about.

All I'm saying is I think the boards are great craic BUT...like a lot of things, shouldn't be taken too seriously and thats what you seem to be doing when you want to meet up like this.

It's not only stupid but it's a bit weird too if you don't mind me saying so.. What surprises me is the amount of people who were interested in it ...or said they were!

My advice to you is this....If you want to meet up with new people, do it the old fashioned way and GO OUT and meet them and not to be depending on strangers (not losers) on cyber space.

PS I have no wish to annoy you or anybody else. All I'm doing is expressing an opinion.

Thank you for your thoughts and advice.

They come across as trolling. We know you won't be joining a beers anytime. Fair enough. If you want to discuss that further discuss then please take it to After Hours or somewhere like that. Thank you.

No one is forcing you to do anything that you dont feel like doing. If people want to have a beers night then that is their prerogative. Just because you dont like the idea doesnt give you the right to condemn it.

This thread is about a beers night so if you don't agree with it then don't post. You are of course entitled to your opinion but if you feel the need to discuss the merits or otherwise of such a venture then do as takola suggested and go to after hours or somewhere else with it but you shouldn't be expressing your displeasure here as your comments are coming across in a trolling fashion.

Back on topic. Im glad it has been canceled as I wont be able to make it. I was actually looking forward to meeting up with some odd Sligo people ;) but maybe it could be organised for around October/November as this time of year isn't the best.

I agree with the sentiments expressed by the mods that despite going to the bother of starting this thread there has been very little interest shown particularly from the people who had harped (Jesus I just love the puns) on about it in other threads.

Lets give it a bit of time before we organize another one, give everybody the same chance to get down to it once they have available free time on their hands. :)

• Advertisement

Yep, I think it'd be better to wait for a couple of months now. :)

This thread has run it's course so I'm locking it now.

Advertisement