Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Chargeback

Options
  • 30-07-2008 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

A work colleague scratched their hire car while away and they were told that the damage to the car was going to cost them €248 and this amount was filled in on the pre signed visa slip although the total amount looked like €218. €218 was the amount charged on the credit card statement though. If she queries this with credit card company as a chargeback, will they change the amount to the higher amount or waive the fee. She really wants to get back at the car hire company as she doesnt think she caused any damage in the first place. What is the legal aspect of credit cards ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Zakrze wrote: »
    A work colleague scratched their hire car while away?
    She really wants to get back at the car hire company as she doesnt think she caused any damage in the first place.

She damaged the car but didn't... A bit confused here.

It is the person who is renting the car responsibility to inspect the car and make sure that any damage is noted prior to taking the car. i.e. scratches, dents, cracks. From what you are saying the car was damaged while in the possession of your friend therefore its her fault...

Usually there is an option for insurance to cover things like this, I guess this wasn't an option chosen.

Not sure if doing a chargeback is the right thing to do but it is possible, you would need to inform the car rental company of your intention to do this since the CC company will insist you try and resolve things with the company involved first before they will take action. The rental people will have documents stating the car was rented in good condition with no damage and probably a form was signed by your collegue confirming this on pick up... so legally you might have a problem also I wouldn't recommend trying to rent from this crowd again if you do take this avenue!!

Advertisement