Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DT228 Year 2 Student

Options
  • 31-07-2008 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

Hello, recently got my place on the second year of the Computer Science course. :) Can anyone offer any tips on any material I can research online?

Specifically maths, as it was never my strong point. Parhaps even a book that is recommended?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

http://www.comp.dit.ie/smulligan/MathsofComputing.htm

home page of the lecturer.

get the first book, the schaums one. don't bother the others as they are 50-70 euro whereas the schaums is only 20 or so euro.

also research the following topics under discrete maths.

logic
    set theory
    number theory
    graph theory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

It might not be that lecturer next year. I heard that they are doing some re-shuffiling. But nevertheless the same material shall be given out. Dont forget Matrices also as you are kinda expected to know about them from 1rst year Maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

2nd year computer sci ? you will be in my class then , welcome to the class.

if you do have trouble with the maths , there are free grinds done in the libary which can come in handy coming up to the exams.

also join gamesoc :D , as it run by guys in the computer science course and alot of people in the class are in it and run ( like me , yes i know its a plug)

our bebo page.
    http://www.bebo.com/DITgamesoc

DT 228 Year 1 2007/2008 folder has pictures of the class on a night out.
    Oh and join netsoc too , their a great group too

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I'll also be in 2nd year as I've deffered a few subjects, :D

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

How was 1st year? I'm a leaving cert student who is praying to get into 1st year of comp sci on Monday as its my No.1 on the CAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

DT228 is a piece of piss. Attend the lectures, you'll be fine. That's probably true of any course though.

DT228 is a piece of piss. Attend the lectures, you'll be fine. That's probably true of any course though.
    yup a don't contradict/point out a certain lecturers mistakes in second and fourth year and you'll be fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Cremo wrote: »
    yup a don't contradict/point out a certain lecturers mistakes in second and fourth year and you'll be fine :D

If it's the one that the netsoc channel is named after, just stay on the right side of him and it's a lot easier.

If it's the one that the netsoc channel is named after, just stay on the right side of him and it's a lot easier.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

yup that's the one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Peadar06

Hey,

I will be also in 2nd Year because I had to repeat last year. See you all in a few weeks.

Peter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Ah year 2 is the best. Has the highest failure rate because 1st year is such a pile of piss.

Take other peoples advice. Don't annoy your lecturers.

They are God's.. all hail PK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

<snip>

quote this if you're down

Anyway to be constructive I'm just going into 2nd year now too so essentially look for the cool people at the back crew and come talk about how terrible boards.ie is with us

**** do that **** over irc that will be even more pimp
    orla wrote: »
    They are God's.. all hail PK.

Orla you are my favourite boards.ie troll
    Peadar06 wrote: »
    Hey,

I will be also in 2nd Year because I had to repeat last year. See you all in a few weeks.

Peter

I destroyed some guy who had to repeat first year, you should probably avoid me I'm essentially the course troll.

If you have stairs in your house you'll be absolutely fine in our year.

<snip>
    No names please.

Anyway to be constructive I'm just going into 2nd year now too so essentially look for the cool people at the back crew and come talk about how terrible boards.ie is with us

Oh my god please can i be in your gang !!???

Aw bless.

I destroyed some guy who had to repeat first year, you should probably avoid me I'm essentially the course troll.

If you have stairs in your house you'll be absolutely fine in our year.

Man those are fighting words. Thats a really nice thing to say though, scare off the person because they had to repeat something. Good job.

Your in for a shock when you realise the jump from 1st year to 2nd year.

Everyone knows i'm the bitch in our course. I dare you to come up against me.

Oh and just for your info, the lecturers from our course frequently use boards and this forum. One of them questioned Cremo on something he said on here before if i remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Yeh randomcountdown AKA Zack dont be using any names here as they probably post on boards aswell.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

randomcountdown no names mentioned please

Nails hurt so they do :P
    Oh and just for your info, the lecturers from our course frequently use boards and this forum. One of them questioned Cremo on something he said on here before if i remember correctly.

i vaguely remember this, refresh me please bitch*

*mods don't take the bitch comment seriously, as she likes to be called it, also we been friends for years (well 2).:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

No names please.

Oh my god please can i be in your gang !!???

Aw bless.

Man those are fighting words. Thats a really nice thing to say though, scare off the person because they had to repeat something. Good job.

Your in for a shock when you realise the jump from 1st year to 2nd year.

Oh you took me seriously.
    Sorry I thought you were above boards.ie forum posting for a second there. Nevermind, continue as normal. Unless this is a fakepost? That would be pretty meta
    FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Yeh randomcountdown AKA Zack dont be using any names here as they probably post on boards aswell.

This seems a bit contradictory.

my brother/cousin/sister/child hacked my account/computer and posted that horrible ****post/goldmined thread

Also if <snip> doesn't realise that we're not just really big Earthbound fans and are actually ripping the piss out of him/her/it/PKFire then :downs:

Also if <snip> doesn't realise that we're not just really big Earthbound fans and are actually ripping the piss out of him/her/it/PKFire then :downs:

See thats where you've got me wrong. I happen to be in the select few that actually gets along really well with him and I believe he is possibly one of the best lecturers in DIT. Especially after working in the real world, if it wasn't for him my concept of OOP would be brutal.
    i vaguely remember this, refresh me please bitch*

A certain Maths lecturer saying "or should i call you Cremo"

• Advertisement

ohhh yeh. *waves*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

That's actually amazing. I know SU guys use boards alright. It would be nice to get lecturers to actively participate in some discussions here, but most of them wouldn't dare. I have had one lecturer (in class) discuss how DIT isn't run very well and he got a discussion going on how to fix things... completely unrelated to the course naturally. That'd be nice and progressive to have here...
    *mods don't take the bitch comment seriously, as she likes to be called it, also we been friends for years (well 2).:P

I wouldn't ever take anyone talking to Orla seriously anyway.... regardless of the words used ;)

Also, as a general rule in the thread/forum, please refrain from using lecturers' names. They won't appreciate it in the same way you wouldn't appreciate being brought up in a lecture by your username in a derogatory manner.

I wouldn't ever take anyone talking to Orla seriously anyway.... regardless of the words used ;)

Your ugly.

She takes boards.ie Trolling to a new level.
    :( i wish one day i could be that pro.
    but i am a dreamer

Your ugly.

Your not :D

She takes boards.ie Trolling to a new level.
    :( i wish one day i could be that pro.
    but i am a dreamer

You'll never be as good as me. I'm practically perfect in every way.
    Your not :D

No amount of charming in the world will get you into my knickers.

I'd give up now and concentrate on incorporating your games idea in the ATM machine you'll be making for your second year project.

You'll never be as good as me. I'm practically perfect in every way.

No amount of charming in the world will get you into my knickers.

I'd give up now and concentrate on incorporating your games idea in the ATM machine you'll be making for your second year project.

Practically perfect in every way , its good to see your modest

HAHAHAHAHHA., charming you ? :rolleyes: , i was actually saying projectmayhem was not ugly , you know not everything is about you or your ego.

And no worries about my 2nd year project, dare , xna , my job , and running a society are enough game related work for me.
    And to be fair , i may not be able to incorporated it into my programming projects, but was able to incorpate it into other subjects in first year
    so 2nd year should be no different. And i already made an ATM machine , its was awesome.

HAHAHAHAHHA., charming you ? :rolleyes: , i was actually saying projectmayhem was not ugly , you know not everything is about you or your ego.

aw bless.. didn't realise ya swang that way. There's a good few dudes in our class heavily involved in the LGBT society.. maybe you should get involved in that.. and plays some different kind of games... ;););)

aw bless.. didn't realise ya swang that way. There's a good few dudes in our class heavily involved in the LGBT society.. maybe you should get involved in that.. and plays some different kind of games... ;););)

I dont actually , i am a very good Roman Catholic boy , and i have a gf . but i just like to disagree with everything you say . And it sounds like your not a fan of games ? why not

• Advertisement

i was actually saying projectmayhem was not ugly

way to mis-use the quote system tbh kthxbai.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement