Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food Photography

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

/drools

Well they look tasty to me which I presume is what your looking for? That the food looks appetising and makes you want to eat it?

My friend's dad is a photographer and takes food shots. I was shocked to here that in photos of ice cream it's actually mashed potato!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Your links are all pointing to the L'Ecrivain set, I take it you wanted comments on Bon Appetite and Mint as well.

General comments - colour, particularly the colours in the food. Your shots haven't picked up the vibrancy in the food colours, eg L'Ecrivain010 - the greens in the courgette roll look washed out, the green sauce swirl in L'Ecrivain012 looks slightly muddy, like the sauce has been cooked too long. Another example is the tomato in L'Ecrivain 013 & 014 - it looks dull, the shot hasn't captured the sharpness of the red in the tomato. Similarly Bon Appetit 016, the carrot in the forefront of the picture looks translucent.

The shots that do work very well for me are Bon Appetit 02, 12 & 15; Mint 05, 20 and 22; L'Ecrivain 16, 17.

One other point. Bon Appetit 010 - the chef appears to be tasting the sauce straight off the spatula - which will go back in the pot without a wash? I wouldn't use that photo.

Sorry if this is negative, you're a brave man to ask for comments, good luck with the expo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Minder wrote: »

One other point. Bon Appetit 010 - the chef appears to be tasting the sauce straight off the spatula - which will go back in the pot without a wash? I wouldn't use that photo.

QUOTE]

Thanks for feedback all taken on board thanks, just wanted to address the one point quoted above, the spatula was used to transfer food from the cooking pot into a container for later use, the spatula was put straight into the dishwash!

Also generally on the colour issue, my whole angle was taking "action" pictures of food and those who cook it, none of the shots were staged, nor was food left for one second anywhere to enable me to get a picture, hence lighting and shadow issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I was gonna say - the action shots look great. The food on their own shots aren't as good, the light just doesn't look right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Thanks for feedback all taken on board thanks, just wanted to address the one point quoted above, the spatula was used to transfer food from the cooking pot into a container for later use, the spatula was put straight into the dishwash!

As I said, it appears that he is tasting the food from a spatula that is used to stir the pot, but who hasn't licked the bowl after making something delicious!
    I'm sure Bon Apetit have excellent standards - thanks for clearing it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

might be good to stick this into photography thread for some constructive crit doggykeeper.Most of em generally would have a good knowledge of composition and colour etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Have them there just wanted to get the foodie's opinion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,461 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The food shots don't work as the lighting is so bad. In the first set, the striped apron in the background is very distracting. Similarly the prep shots are a little busy and lack any focus, I accept that this was unavoidable and may even convey the mood, but the result is a photo with out distinct area that draws attention.

Try uping the saturation on the dish shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭SnowMonkey

:D good shootin:cool:

food looks good to altho Im an x chef soon to go back :D miss being stupidly busy and having sore feet burns and cuts :D, but exelant pics tho :cool:....

I can't say anyhting bad about them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement