Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started

• 31-07-2008 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm doing the open water dive course in Sharm el Sheik in October. From what i gather I can dive to 18m. I want to dive the SS Thistlegorm(30m). I was going to do the advanced course to allow me to go that deep straight after. Can anyone see a problem with this or is there any leniency(spelling) on this?

I am also trying to price up equipment. Whats the best way of doing this? i.e. Do's and Don'ts.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 colinmcbride

Hi,
    I am a PADI Instructor and I if you follow the rules you should have an advanced rating to dive to 30m. Quite a lot of operators will ask for that rating to let you dive the Thislegorm and rightly so. However, in my personal opinion the advanced rating should come with a minimum experience (dives) as well and I would not recommend you diving any deep wrecks (30m) with less than 30-50 dives.

As for equipment, your best bet is to shop around lots of people on these boards are sending people abroad in order to get gear on the internet - In my opinion this will eventually cause a collapse in the diving industry in this country. There are bargains to be had in this country too just have a look. Also, you have a lot of people recommending a particular mask or brand of fins etc - this is a load of rubbish, try different gear on see what fits and what is comfortable, it all works the same.

Best of luck with the training, think strongly about not doing the deep wrecks this time around.

Cheers
    Colin McBride
    www.first4scuba.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

As for equipment, your best bet is to shop around lots of people on these boards are sending people abroad in order to get gear on the internet - In my opinion this will eventually cause a collapse in the diving industry in this country.

It's called competition. These days shops no longer have to compete with the one next door, they have to compete with the one 3000 miles away also. The consumer wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 colinmcbride

testicle wrote: »
    It's called competition. These days shops no longer have to compete with the one next door, they have to compete with the one 3000 miles away also. The consumer wins.

Good point, and you are right some shops in Ireland are not competitive - but some are. So my point is check out all the options and if possible try to buy locally you can get the right prices. If you go into a shop and tell them that you can get the gear somewhere else for cheaper Im sure they will try to do better!!

Best Regards
    Colin McBride
    First 4 Scuba Ltd
    www.first4scuba.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

hamnegg wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm doing the open water dive course in Sharm el Sheik in October. From what i gather I can dive to 18m. I want to dive the SS Thistlegorm(30m). I was going to do the advanced course to allow me to go that deep straight after. Can anyone see a problem with this or is there any leniency(spelling) on this?
    Thanks

I think the biggest problem might be you. Try and get some proper basic training first, then gain some experience and then do the fancy dives.
    This way its usually better for your health.

If you find an instructor or DM that will do a 30m wreck dive straight after OWD or your AOWD course, grand. Diving with some other tourist, will possibly not only spoil your (and his) dive, but could end up in tears.
    Only because you are allowed to do something doesn't mean you have to do it cause you mightn't be up for it.

Go and see how you like scuba diving during your OWD. The decide whether you want to go deep so soon after your AOWD.

/WD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

I have to agree with some of the posters above. If you're just starting out, take it easy and get a feel for how you behave in the water before you take on the extra challenge of depth and wreck at the same time. After all, you wouldn't go out the day after getting your driving licence and buy a Ferrari to race (well, you might, but you'd be a bit silly).
    If you're anxious to get into wreck diving, it might be worth checking out some shallower wrecks in the area. I don't know a huge amount about the diving near Sharm, but there's surely a couple of shallow enough wrecks you could take a peek at first.
    Enjoy the course and the warm waters though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

You may not think the following to be directly related to a dive incident.

http://blogs.bootsnall.com/joshua/archives/013410.shtml

But it shows the standards you can expect to find in Sharm.

I remember one trip I was on out of Hurghada. The DM told us seven divers had died in the northern Red Sea in the past ten days.
    With over 2,500 boats carrying divers it's little wonder.

My message to you is this:

You may be the perfect "water baby" and 100% happy diving. But circumstantial lack of experience will not allow you to judge and read what the running standard is aboard whatever craft you find yourself on.
    You will just accept it as the "norm" do what you're asked, and follow blindly, as did the guy in the link above.

The Thistlegorm is not going anywhere. It will surely wait for you.

Stay safe

Seadeuce

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

Thanks for all your advice, I'm seriously reconsidering this now! I'll definately do it someday, and will definately do the OW course. I have done the discover SCUBA course and loved it.

Again, Thanks a million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

As with most of the posters I'd agree that there's no need to rush into a deeper wreck dive.

It may sound cool to do a wreck (and it really is :D ), but there's so much to see as you're learning without going to that depth.

I would take your time, and learn to be comfortable with your equipment and your buoyancy before worrying about wrecks etc. I've never been to Sharm, but from what I hear it's very busy, and it can sometimes be the luck of the draw with your conditions and guides. I would stay safe and learn. there's plenty of time to go deeper and see wrecks; don't run before you can walk ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Theres plenty of wrecks in the red sea that arent deeper thanthe 18mts mark,look up the giannos D,kimon m,kingston shark and yolanda reef etc.
    You dont have to do the thistlegorm today or tomorrow its been there for 60 years another year or two wont do any harm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Hi

I am also trying to price up equipment. Whats the best way of doing this? i.e. Do's and Don'ts.

Thanks

If this is the first time you have dived properly and the first time you ahve dived in Sharm, you won't need to visit the thistlegorm to have a great time.

It may be worth holding off on the equip as well. I dived with Aquarius who are based at the Sheraton (They are the company Falcoln use) and their equipment was great and not that expensive to hire. I think it is worth getting an idea of equipment before rushing out and spending a lot of money, it is a hell of a lot less hassle as well.

I would suggest getting a mask and snorkel though, you will want these for when you are not diving. Go along to a shop for these, don't buy online because you will want advice and to try on before buying.

Don't get too hung up about diving deep wrecks. You're qualification will last you for life so you have plenty of time. If you are lucky enough to dive the reefs off Tiran island, you will forget all about old boats:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I agree with Colin about this. For the likes of a wet/semi suit I wouldn't be inclined to buy off the internet from abroad as you will loose any savings made in shipping charges if it doesn't fit and has to be returned. For example I got my semi-dry in the Colins shop and had tried on 4 suits before I found one I was happy with. From my (admittedly limited) experience I have not found things much cheaper abroad (Phuket being my example). For the like of knives, torches etc go for it and get wherever you think is cheapest but for items that differ for person to person (sizes) I would strongly encourage you to try them on before purchase. Buy cheap buy twice.

Note I am in no way affiliated with First 4 Scuba Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭hamnegg

Right! I'm back home :( . Absolutely loved it! Done the O.W. and the A.O.W. and loved it. I'd go back tommorrow if my bank balance would let me. Its amazing. Didn't do the Thistlegorm after your advice. The Dive centre wanted me to do a few more dives before i went down. Just didn't have the time and the girlfriend would have shot me if she seen me with a tank again!

So I've sent off for my PADI cards and have my temp ones for the moment. My next question, where to next! I live in north county Dublin, and want to go out once before Xmas. Problem is all i have is a mask and snorkel! And the gear is pricey to buy,

Any chance of a deal on a wet suit Colin???!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Check out Oceandivers in Dunlaoire. If they are still operating they can rent gear and take you out.

But if you want to really droooooll over dive gear, go to the show in Birmingham next weekend, 1/2 Nov.

http://www.diveshows.co.uk/events/dive2008/about.shtml

Good bargains to be had, excellent presentations on all sorts of diving, and an absolute FEAST of holiday destinations to place a deposit on for next year!

You have been warned!!

Seadeuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 929 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

If you are north county Dublin, you should check out Adventure diving in Bettystown. A bit closer than Oceandivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sharkreef

Hi

Thanks

All diving in Sharm is guided diving. Normally even if are an experience diver, you will not get to do the wreck on your first diving day. Once you have divide a day or two with a diving operation, your guide/instructor will have evaluated your buoyancy skills & air consumption. Some times they recommend that you take a larger tank or a private guide.

My advice is proceed with your plan, try to do enriched air dive as one of you advanced dive (this will allow you longer time on the wreck) and do not miss the Thistlegorm:).

Advertisement