Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for ableton users...

Options
  • 31-07-2008 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Im trying to put a 30 min live set together running my ableton tunes together (one song to another seamlessly).What is the best way of doing this?

I cant put all the parts in 1 Live set because it would be far to big.

Ive had a quick look at running two instance s of ableton.would this be a solution?could i have an intro on one instance of ableton lleading into an outro from the other set?

any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Beans_On wrote: »
    Im trying to put a 30 min live set together running my ableton tunes together (one song to another seamlessly).What is the best way of doing this?

I cant put all the parts in 1 Live set because it would be far to big.

Ive had a quick look at running two instance s of ableton.would this be a solution?could i have an intro on one instance of ableton lleading into an outro from the other set?

any help appreciated.

I dunno what you mean by 'far too big'? You should have frozen all your tracks, layering where necessary (i.e. choruses and such you should group your bass/lead/drums together; for the most part anyways) and the only FX up (if you're doing techno) should really be side-chain compression (if used) and a couple of kinds of beatmatched delay/bitcrushers.

You could do the two-computer setup but I don't see why you'd have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

yeah it should be more than capable of doing it presuming your computer isnt a pile of ****.
    imo live set should be done live.hit play and mix in your tracks as if you were playing tts or cdjs.
    thats another discussion altogether but you should be having no problems for 30 minutes

seannash wrote: »
    yeah it should be more than capable of doing it presuming your computer isnt a pile of ****.
    imo live set should be done live.hit play and mix in your tracks as if you were playing tts or cdjs.
    thats another discussion altogether but you should be having no problems for 30 minutes

From what I gathered the OP was talking about doing a live set using his own stems and samples - doing the whole thing in Session view and triggering and looping all his clips on the fly as opposed to 'DJ''ing in ableton.

jimi_t wrote: »
    From what I gathered the OP was talking about doing a live set using his own stems and samples - doing the whole thing in Session view and triggering and looping all his clips on the fly as opposed to 'DJ''ing in ableton.
    think thats the same thing as djing in ableton,albeit with his own material.just throwing in my 2 cents on the matter.i did say it was for another discussion.
    but yeah i cant see why hes having a problem

think thats the same thing as djing in ableton,albeit with his own material.just throwing in my 2 cents on the matter.i did say it was for another discussion.
    but yeah i cant see why hes having a problem

Nah - I mean that he's not just splitting commerical mp3s into snippets and clips in session view, I'm inferring that he's literally working from the ground up - snares in one clip, high hats in another, bass drum in another, different aspects of the leads etc... A 30 minute set done like this could use upwards of 200 individual clips

• Advertisement

Nah - I mean that he's not just splitting commerical mp3s into snippets and clips in session view, I'm inferring that he's literally working from the ground up - snares in one clip, high hats in another, bass drum in another, different aspects of the leads etc... A 30 minute set done like this could use upwards of 200 individual clips
    i guess,but hes not going to trigger them at the same time,he doesnt have to have them all loaded up before hand.he can make folders for each of his songs and then drag in the parts as needed.
    but he should still be able to make enough channels to get everything in there.
    anyway good luck with that

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Beans_On

cheers for replies folks..

but yeah i do mean playing my own material with a lot of different midi tracks per song (its electro by the way).

I like to have the tracks tweakable for playing live aswell as i use a midi controller.

It would be perfect if i could have 2 instances of ableton so when one is playing i can load up the next tune on the other ableton.

cheers for replies folks..

but yeah i do mean playing my own material with a lot of different midi tracks per song (its electro by the way).

I like to have the tracks tweakable for playing live aswell as i use a midi controller.

It would be perfect if i could have 2 instances of ableton so when one is playing i can load up the next tune on the other ableton.
    just load up the next track in another channel(s)

just load up the next track in another channel(s)

maybe im not beeing too clear on this.
    when i mean "tune" or "track" i actually mean a saved "ableton Live set".
    It could contain 10/12 midi tracks and 10/12 scenes.

if i try and create 2 ableton sets in one (as in 24 midi tracks and 24 scenes) the CPU goes through the roof.

if i try and create 2 ableton sets in one (as in 24 midi tracks and 24 scenes) the CPU goes through the roof.
    ah okay thats a bit different,idealy you should bounce all your channels in those live tracks as audio.no real need for midi,you can still apply effects to the audio,unless you wanna manipulate the synth you made the sounds in.
    once you got them bounced to audio just drag in the individual elements,if your not completely anal you could bounce out your drum tracks so that its not 10 different elements,just one sample

• Advertisement

1) Get both sets.
    2) Freeze your tracks (can't do this with sidechained channels)
    3) Save as...
    4) Open both of the new 'frozen' sets and combine them, save as.. again

What kinda computer you running? How many VST effects wil you need to go 'tweakable' live? How 'tweakable' do you want it to be? Definitely you could trim a lot of fat off your CPU by using as little raw midi/VSTi as possible - even try substituting VSTs for the simpler sounds with less cpu-heavy equivalents. Everyone else manages it fine live with just the one lappy :p

1) Get both sets.
    2) Freeze your tracks (can't do this with sidechained channels)
    3) Save as...
    4) Open both of the new 'frozen' sets and combine them, save as.. again

What kinda computer you running? How many VST effects wil you need to go 'tweakable' live? How 'tweakable' do you want it to be? Definitely you could trim a lot of fat off your CPU by using as little raw midi/VSTi as possible - even try substituting VSTs for the simpler sounds with less cpu-heavy equivalents. Everyone else manages it fine live with just the one lappy :p

yeah this seems like the route im gonna take.(just hoping there might be another way i suppose:)

i usually freeze the tracks anyway and leave the synth ones i need to tweak and manipulate (about 4 per tune).
    The finished set might be a bit crammed but sure will do.

Cheers

but then when you introduce another track wont it just be unusable as the cpu will go through the roof.
    i dont see why you need to drag in the whole project(bar the midi)
    going back to jimi ts question,how tweakable do you need the midi parts to be.
    do you tweak the actual vst or do you tweak the effects in live

yeah this seems like the route im gonna take.(just hoping there might be another way i suppose:)

i usually freeze the tracks anyway and leave the synth ones i need to tweak and manipulate (about 4 per tune).
    The finished set might be a bit crammed but sure will do.

Cheers

Well I mean you can do it with two lappys the way you said - even a demo version of ableton with the second version would be grand (remember you can't bounce tracks though) but AFAIK unless you're using something like Plogue or one of them, you're probably going to need two MIDI controllers. This going to be your first gig then? Where you playing?

Well I mean you can do it with two lappys the way you said - even a demo version of ableton with the second version would be grand (remember you can't bounce tracks though) but AFAIK unless you're using something like Plogue or one of them, you're probably going to need two MIDI controllers. This going to be your first gig then? Where you playing?

Well i do have a gig this saturday in Kennedy s now that u mention it;)
    - but what im posting about here is a seperate issue really.wont be a problem on Saturday.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055335725

www.myspace.com/lonelylionmusic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Beans on..

Fcuking mad post.. Good luck.

Talk about using a sledgehammer to crack a nut!! :pac::pac::pac:

ICN wrote: »
    Beans on..

:D:D:D

ICN wrote: »
    Beans on..

thats why i thought it would be simpler!

i still think bouncing your channels down to audio is an easier solution but thats just me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

thats why i thought it would be simpler!

Seriously though Mate..

I thought it would be simpler.. reinventing the wheel.. but guess what?! It turns out that the wheel is pretty damb good at what it does.

Same situation here.

I'd agree with Sean. Bounce your stuff.. get a couple of channels going in Live & away you go!!

Thats how its been designed to be used.

Talk about taking the fun out of it.. You'd want to be a fcuking octopus to handle this sh!t and still enjoy yourself.. and keep the crowd going :pac:

Could potentially be fairly mad (or bad) to listen to.. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement