Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Broadband from kitchen query!

Options
  • 31-07-2008 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've just moved into a new apartment. The only phone socket is in the kitchen(!). I've got a wireless modem but I understand that this will become less effective if not in the same room as the laptop. Is this true? Also, I have an xbox. So my options are to get a 20 meter long phone cable and run it through the kitchen around the living room and connect up the modem in the living room or get e wireless adaptor for the xbox and deal with wireless from the kitchen. Phone chord obv cheaper. What do you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi Guys,

I've just moved into a new apartment. The only phone socket is in the kitchen(!). I've got a wireless modem but I understand that this will become less effective if not in the same room as the laptop. Is this true? Also, I have an xbox. So my options are to get a 20 meter long phone cable and run it through the kitchen around the living room and connect up the modem in the living room or get e wireless adaptor for the xbox and deal with wireless from the kitchen. Phone chord obv cheaper. What do you think?

It shouldn't necessarily be less effective - you really wont know until you try it.
    Dont want to sound smart in saying that but it really is the answer to your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

I have a crap eircom router and it works fine in every room in a 3 story house

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

My WIFI access point is upstairs and my PS3 and internet radio streamer is downstairs, both on WIFI. Works fine. It really depends on the obstructions between the access point and the network device.

Try first, then run cables if it's not great.

*EDIT* or you can purchase two internet over powerlinees. Plug one into your wifi router and the other into your network device. Should work better than wifi.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wireless should be fine in a apartment (depending on wall construction)....only issue I could think of is if the microwave causes interference with the wireless signal...which can happen :)

Best to test it out and see it'll most likely be ok

Advertisement