Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No service history

Options
  • 31-07-2008 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭

Went to see a nice 3 year old car last night with decent mileage. Thing is there is no service history at all.

Would you buy a car with no service history?

I'm thinking I might have problems selling it in the future. Also there is something wrong with 3rd gear, you have to force into place or it will pop out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What's the car? And tbh, i wouldn't, especially given the issue with 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Audi A3

1.6?

yep 1.6 Sportback FSI

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

In a word no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭aben3313

definitly not, keep your money and buy one with a full history, that car could have the same oil in it from new so possible engine damage?,you should not have diffuclty putting the car in gear, my advice keep looking:)

Thanks for the opinions lads. Usually I would even look at a car with FSH but this is a bloody nice car at excellent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Another point is that it could have been clocked and there is no way of proving it, with no service history the mileage was never recorded by a certified garage. With digitally stored mileage being so easy to change now I would recommend never to buy a car without a full service history...

...and then there is the fact it probably hasn't been serviced :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

dubmick wrote: »
    Thanks for the opinions lads. Usually I would even look at a car with FSH but this is a bloody nice car at excellent price.

That could leave a very bad after taste...Loads out there, another will come along...:)

+1, plenty of motors out there, people are struggling to sell second hand motors these days so haggle agressively, and dont be afraid to walk away. Look for high spec, low mileage and service history. Make an offer, you might just get lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

When you say service history do you mean from a dealer? I wouldnt worry so much about this once there is evidence that the car has been serviced either by the owner or a local mechanic via receipts for parts etc. A dealer will only have a first year apprentice thrown at the car anyway for a basic service so its more about having a stamp for resale than keeping the car in top shape. if you are keeping the car a while then thats much less of an issue.

The gearbox issue is more serious, its probably the 3rd gear synchro gone meaning either a rebuild or replacement. If the car is 3k cheaper than the nearest car then it could potentially be a bargain if you are prepared to do the tidying up required.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

There are two issues here:

First of all if the car was serviced I assume all/most of the services where carried out by an Audi garages to date, so my question is why cant the seller just get that garage to verify that is was serviced by them. They have records. Even if it did have to book stamped you'd still want to be checking that the work was carried out. If it turns out that the guy/girl cant get this info run a mile.

Now the second issue is the 3rd gear, if the above was sorted out you'd want this sorted out or at least have someone who knows about this stuff to check it out. It sounds odd given the situation with the service history.

Anyway if you still feel in doubt after that - walk! Plenty of 1.6 Audi's around :)

EDIT: cpoh1 kinda got there before me!!

thanks lads, no service history at all, even by local mechanics. The car is at least €3k less than others and more haggling could be done. There is a small chip in front window and a tiny dent above front wheel.

Also, the bloke he bought the car from a friend who is in recovery. Supposedly the car was robbed after 3 weeks. It was recovered in the UK.

The more I think about it there is not a chance I am buying this car lol. Just a bloody lovely car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

dubmick wrote: »
    thanks lads, no service history at all, even by local mechanics. The car is at least €3k less than others and more haggling could be done. There is a small chip in front window and a tiny dent above front wheel.

Also, the bloke he bought the car from a friend who is in recovery. Supposedly the car was robbed after 3 weeks. It was recovered in the UK.

The more I think about it there is not a chance I am buying this car lol. Just a bloody lovely car.

So its stolen recovered, thats why its cheaper. That car will be a nightmare to get rid of. Couple this to the fact that the car could be running on the same oil for 3 years and that the gearbox needs to be recondioned at the very least.

I'd walk away, this car could cost you 3k in an instant, its cheap for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

Hi dubmick,

me again. Just read the thread.

Was that the black A3 in Louth you were looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

A 3 year old car with no service history is hiding something, alot of cars this age have outstanding finance, you should be able to trace the garage it was sold from when new, should be garage sticker on window or number plate, sounds very dodgy, have they any paperwork for it, it could be stolen , a hpi check would be money well spent. i think you should walk away from this one

Advertisement