Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council launches www.accessdublin.ie

Options
  • 31-07-2008 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi All,

Dublin City Council, under the terms of the Disability Act, 2005, has recently completed audits of all public buildings, parks and roads/street in Dublin.
    These audit reports highlight the remedial works necessary make our city universally accessible in particular for persons with disabilities.
    Remedial works design plans are now being compiled with a seven-year timeframe to complete works.

Accessdublin.ie has now been launched to involve you, the citizen, in this process.
    You can use accessdublin.ie to search by location name or search by map, view reports and remedial plans (as they become available!), comment on these reports, view other comments, make suggestions, report accessibility issues (including uploading images), view the access guide currently in design, subscribe to receive emails alerting you to new comments for location(s) you choose etc etc.

Accessdublin.ie is your opportunity to play your part in ensuring Dublin city becomes accessible for all.

Please note that as this is a public service website, all posts will be moderated and wont appear online until approved by a moderator, to ensure no inappropraite content is uploaded......

Dublin City Council has also commissioned an access guide of private businesses, cinemas, concert hall, theatres, public houses, restaurants etc etc etc in Dublin and this guide will be launched shortly noting where is accessible and more importantly where isn't !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

This is great! Particularly like the function that the public can upload info about specific locations, photos etc.

i hope that this isn't just lip service though and stuff will be actioned

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭TheCityManager

CtrlSource wrote: »
    This is great! Particularly like the function that the public can upload info about specific locations, photos etc.

i hope that this isn't just lip service though and stuff will be actioned

All comments / replies / feedback etc will be considered for inclusion in each year's work plans..much the same as currently feedback from public consultations is taken on board and included in plans...
    Believe me . they will be actioned upon...DCC staff will be online in the forums too ..

All comments / replies / feedback etc will be considered for inclusion in each year's work plans..much the same as currently feedback from public consultations is taken on board and included in plans...
    Believe me . they will be actioned upon...DCC staff will be online in the forums too ..

That's terrific. i'll be making them aware of plenty of kerb cuts and dishings that need to be installed ;)

That's terrific. i'll be making them aware of plenty of kerb cuts and dishings that need to be installed ;)

The whole city has been audited so hopefully most of these issues will have been caught already...but no harm in highlighting them anyhow...

A new and revamped www.accessdublin.ie website has recently been launched (and narrowly missed winning the 2009 Local eGovernment award..)

Amongst many new features :

A new Business Access Directory showing business premises in Dublin and their accessibility features.

A facility to form into groups of common interest.

A new stakeholders area where accessibility stake holders in the city will post news and events (these will also populate the home page..)

A facility to submit suggestions to enhance Dublin city..

Why not go to www.accessdublin.ie, register and play your part in access proofing the city...

It's a fantastic site..all it needs now is YOU the user....

• Advertisement

The whole city has been audited so hopefully most of these issues will have been caught already...but no harm in highlighting them anyhow...

Is there a forum to view the contents of this audit?

The 7 year timescale you mentioned last year is hardly confidence inspiring!

The update to the website looks impressive though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

A new and revamped www.accessdublin.ie website has recently been launched (and narrowly missed winning the 2009 Local eGovernment award..)

Amongst many new features :

A new Business Access Directory showing business premises in Dublin and their accessibility features.

A facility to form into groups of common interest.

A new stakeholders area where accessibility stake holders in the city will post news and events (these will also populate the home page..)

A facility to submit suggestions to enhance Dublin city..

Why not go to www.accessdublin.ie, register and play your part in access proofing the city...

It's a fantastic site..all it needs now is YOU the user....
    There are some great features on the site, particularly the DisabledGo audits and ratings of accessibility of businesses, especially bars and hotels etc.

I think you have over-estimated the enthusiasm of citizens for engaging in detail on these issues. Just look at all the threads with zero replies at http://www.dublincity.ie/AccessibilityForum/default.aspx?g=topics&f=23. Did your customers actually ask for this facility?

It would be really super if you 'closed the loop' on feedback submitted by customers. So where you get feedback about particular issues, you get back to the complainant giving them a good idea of what action is going to happen as a result of their feedback.

It would be really super if you 'closed the loop' on feedback submitted by customers. So where you get feedback about particular issues, you get back to the complainant giving them a good idea of what action is going to happen as a result of their feedback.

This is the general intention..staff members from the Accessibility Unit in DCC are registered and online and will comment / reply to all posts if required to do so......

Hundreds more city businesses have signed up for this recently and will be going online shortly..........

It would be well worth registering I reckon :)

Heartening to see "Access Matters" stickers starting to appear on shopfronts in town :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Believe me . they will be actioned upon.....

yeah, but what decade will work be done. I'm blue in the face contacting the council about work that could be done access-wise. Lip service is right.imo.

Heartening to see "Access Matters" stickers starting to appear on shopfronts in town :)

This really appears to be taking off .. many mnay businesses are very interested in joining the business directory
    tampopo wrote: »
    yeah, but what decade will work be done. I'm blue in the face contacting the council about work that could be done access-wise. Lip service is right.imo.

To be fair...there is , and always has been, very limited budgets for access works. This is now a concerted effort to 'put things right' Obviously as the recession deepens and budgets are cut even further, it will impact on works but the fact that there is niow a dedicated Access Unit should ensure that much more work is undertaken as quickly as possible.

The Access Unit can be contacted at audit@accessdublin.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

This is the general intention..staff members from the Accessibility Unit in DCC are registered and online and will comment / reply to all posts if required to do so......

Hi City Manager - Hope you're still watching this thread. I have to say that I'm underwhelmed at the response to the two queries I raised.

This one got no substantive response in three months.

This one got a response last June saying they were planning to tarmac the area in 'the next few months', but nothing has happened 3 months later. I'm not sure that tarmacing this route is a great idea - has anyone checked the width of the remaining route to see if it is sufficient for wheelchair users?

Advertisement