Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smoke breaks.

• 31-07-2008 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

Right, I work for the some company my mother does and every hour I go outside and have a smoke for about 6 minutes.

I noticed my mother gets a load of work chucked to her and would love to be able to take a few minutes out each hour to clear her head (one of the things I do when I pop out). However the option isn't really there for her as she feels she can't just go outside for 5 minutes because people will think she's not working, we're so used to people smoking we write it off as, "ahh he will be back in a minute, he's just having a fag". But if we saw someone get up and go out for a walk we would be wondering why they were not working.

I think it's very unfair for those people, your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

she can sit on the pot for 10 mins?

I take tea breaks often as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Yeah I guess tea breaks are an option, sitting on the pot isn't really great though, it just gets very hot in here sometimes and you do need fresh air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭A_M101

I worked in a small clothes shop for 2 years and was regularly on with one of the two smokers on the staff. If wrecked my head when they were "dying for a fag" and the legged it off for 5 to 10 right at the busiest times. They actually worked, I'd say, half an hour less each day than me just because they smoked. They were also more senior than me and lovely girls otherwise so I never brought it up except for some jokes here and there about taking up smoking. I'm passive agressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Yeah I guess tea breaks are an option, sitting on the pot isn't really great though, it just gets very hot in here sometimes and you do need fresh air.

bring a hand fan into the jax with a womans own mag.

happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well if you're sitting at a computer, in theory you should be taking a wee break every 40 minutes. Don't see why it shouldn't also apply to anyone else where it can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Was just thinkin this myself. I went for a quick walk yesterday to stretch my legs (stayed in the floor after, and just stood there staring out the window) and then looked down at all the smokers (I smoke myself but not too often) and thought to myself "People probably think i'm dossing because i'm just standing here, but the smokers 'Are only out havin a fag'"

Who knows... who cares :D

A_M101 wrote: »
    I worked in a small clothes shop for 2 years and was regularly on with one of the two smokers on the staff. If wrecked my head when they were "dying for a fag" and the legged it off for 5 to 10 right at the busiest times. They actually worked, I'd say, half an hour less each day than me just because they smoked. They were also more senior than me and lovely girls otherwise so I never brought it up except for some jokes here and there about taking up smoking. I'm passive agressive.
    I know exactly what you mean, when I was younger before I smoked a lot I worked in one as well, and they 3 other guys would all pop out at the same time leaving me there to clear up the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Get one of those little fake/joke ciggies for your mom. She can go out on a "smoke break" for 5 - 10 mins and if she is spotted it will look like she's smoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

From my desk I can see across the street, where another office block is located. Over the past year or so I've noticed that the staff of whatever company is located over there are pro's when it comes to taking the piss with smoke breaks.

Every 1.5 hours the same group of three wimmins come out and spend between 10 - 12 mins having a smoke. Sometimes they have two, for the laugh.

Lets say an 8 hour working day gives 5.3 smoke breaks excl. lunch time. 5.3 x 11 mins (average) = 58.3 mins.

58.3 mins x 5 days = 4.86 hours per week.

4.86 hours x 46 weeks (taking holidays & bank holidays) = 27.94 days.

As an employer, I'd have to take this into consideration.

Edit - and sorry, your mam should put her head down and take a power nap twice a day for 20 mins. Scientific research proves that she'll be more production following her power naps.

• Advertisement

Honest question, is it a requirement in workplaces to allow smoke breaks or just good practice?

Myth wrote: »
    Honest question, is it a requirement in workplaces to allow smoke breaks or just good practice?
    I'm pretty sure it's good practice, because I can't see how it could be legaly a requirement.

But if you ban them you can be guaranteed smokers will be up in arms claiming its discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

connundrum wrote: »

What about people standing at their desk staring at the office block across the road?

Say three minutes an hour by 7 hours is 21 minutes a day.

21 minutes a day by 5 days is 1 hour 45 a week.

1 hour 45 by 48 weeks is 84 hours a year or 12 days doing nothing a year.

:pac:

Seriously though people should be judged on their work returns not what they actually do during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Lets say an 8 hour working day gives 5.3 smoke breaks excl. lunch time. 5.3 x 11 mins (average) = 58.3 mins.

58.3 mins x 5 days = 4.86 hours per week.

4.86 hours x 46 weeks (taking holidays & bank holidays) = 27.94 days.

Edit - and sorry, your mam should put her head down and take a power nap twice a day for 20 mins. Scientific research proves that she'll be more production following her power naps.

My sister and I worked this out before, based on 2x 10 minute smoking breaks a day, which is a lot more charitable, and we couldn't believe it - it's still the equivalent of over ten extra days holidays a year.

Now, I know smokers will all go "Well if you feel that strongly about it, then take the breaks yourself", but I'm not going to stand around for 20 minutes a day just for the sake of it. I'd rather the extra holidays, thanks very much.

Not to mention the fact that smokers (as a group) take more sick days aswell...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Doubt there is any thing set down in employment law about being able to take smoke breaks at any specific time. There is somthing along the lines of 15 minutes every two hours though, what you do with that time is entirely up to you though.

If other people are getting more breaks than you are becasue they are trying to kill themselves then just take some extra tea breaks yourself.

Nobody works constantly every minute of every day.

Under health and safety guidelines relating to VDU use they're not even supposed to.

You might be getting up for a ciggie, going for coffee, staring into space, chatting to your friends or on the 'net but there is no way anybody works constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I was the only non-smoker where I used to work. On my last day, having grown rather sick of people sciving off a few times a night, I brought in a cigar and said I was going out for a smoke...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I used to get up and take breaks, just standing outside and getting some fresh air. My argument was if smokers can take breaks so can I. It is in the health and safety guidelines anyway about taking a break every hour or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I think you underestimate how much non smokers dislike this practise op.When i worked in a factory there were two smokers in our unit.When there were dozens of back orders to be filled and these two kept popping outside you can bet the rest of us weren't impressed.As for unlawful discrimination theres nothing in the law that states you can't discriminate against smokers,so employers could easily tell workers to slap on a nicotine patch and stfu.
    obl wrote: »
    I was the only non-smoker where I used to work. On my last day, having grown rather sick of people sciving off a few times a night, I brought in a cigar and said I was going out for a smoke...
    fantastic!Hope you enjoyed it though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Dinter wrote: »
    What about people standing at their desk staring at the office block across the road?

Say three minutes an hour by 7 hours is 21 minutes a day.

21 minutes a day by 5 days is 1 hour 45 a week.

1 hour 45 by 48 weeks is 84 hours a year or 12 days doing nothing a year.

:pac:

Seriously though people should be judged on their work returns not what they actually do during the day.

Ah Ha!

But what if a smoker also engages in staring out of the window for several minutes a day? Double whammy!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I bet the smokers come back in from their fag break and then stop for a tea break before getting back to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

It does annoy you cause they think they are justified,these are the same people who tut if someone goes the loo..I know the place i work are putting a stop to it cause they do take the piss.Then they oan that they are not allowed out for a smoke.I dont smoke myself and ive no problem with somebody going while its quiet but to go when its busy is inconsiderate.I dont get paid to do their job i get paid to do mine.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe they're having a productive informal meeting outside while you're inside posting on boards?

Ah Ha!

But what if a smoker also engages in staring out of the window for several minutes a day? Double whammy!

They're probably dreaming about their next smoke break, visualising how they are going to light it, deciding whether to use a lighter or a match. Then they subconsciously inhale deeply, almost tasting the smoke billowing into them, savouring the feeling before having to let go and expend their lungs once more, melancholic thoughts swirling around their heads quickly replaced by eager anticipation of the next puff which they know is soon coming.

How many people have stopped reading this to go out for a smoke right now? :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

marti101 wrote: »
    It does annoy you cause they think they are justified,these are the same people who tut if someone goes the loo..

I honestly do not believe you work with someone who tuts if you go to the loo (unless you're renowned for stinking up the place).

• Moderators Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

One guy I worked with used to take a smoke break almost every hour.
    Would gone for 5 mins approx, as the canteen was just around the corner.
    This was before the smoking ban. He was eventually sacked because more often than not when the boss came round he was on a break.

If you can read this, you're too close!

people tut if someone goes the loo..I know the place i work are putting a stop to it cause they do take the piss.

Who's taking the piss? The people constantly going to the loo or the people constantly going for a smoke? Or perhaps both?

I work with a woman who goes to the bathroom about 6 times a day, has a tea break after each trip and sometimes a tea break on its own and also smokes.

(My desk is right near the bathrooms, and the kitchen. Yes, the bathroom and kitchen are right next to each other and yes, you can hear everything that goes on in the bathroom. It's a very small office :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

robinph wrote: »
    Doubt there is any thing set down in employment law about being able to take smoke breaks at any specific time. There is somthing along the lines of 15 minutes every two hours though, what you do with that time is entirely up to you though.

If other people are getting more breaks than you are becasue they are trying to kill themselves then just take some extra tea breaks yourself.

As far as i know minimum beaks required by law is 30 minutes for 5 hours worked. Anything more than that is standard practice.

As for the judging people by their returns rather than their effort - bang on. However, by that token people should be allowed to head home an hour early if they don't smoke and get the same as a smoker done an hour earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Not to mention the fact that smokers (as a group) take more sick days aswell...
    Really?

Could you back that one up please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

It is not really all black & white.

First off, smoker's are being forced outside. Traditionally, they would have sparked up right in front of us and kept working. It's only when some people started complaining, that the alternative of smokers going outside was proposed.

I am a light smoker, sometimes smoking at work, but not exactly a chimney. But the one thing I've noticed about my smoking breaks is that they are not "breaks" at all. Usual is rush downstairs, get in those few quick drags and am often back at my desk within 3-4 minutes. While I am outside, I'm usually thinking about my work (trying to figure out a problem I'm working on, or planning my day, or deciding what I'm going to say at some meeting etc). If I am talking to somebody, it is often about work, and smoking is great for networking. The amount of decisions that have been made by smokers, that otherwise would have taken hours of BS and meetings is actually quiet scary!

Most of the smokers I see are like this as well. But there are a few (pretty much always women and usually older) who do sit around and chat for about 15 or so minutes. Just because a few people take the piss, doesn't mean that everyone is.

Also, I don't usually take my coffee break (supposed to take 15 minutes, most of the "non-smokers" take about 25), so that 15 minutes spread throughout the day easily makes up for my smoking breaks.

Finally, in my job, I am (or certainly hope I am!) appraised on my results, not how many minutes I spend in front of a computer. Usually, after a nicotine fix, my brain is extremely active!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't understand how employers allow it - and I say that as an occasional smoker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Man, I'd hate to work in a job where every minute was counted..Who cares if they spend 7.5 hours chasing leaves in the park once they get their work done

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't understand how employers allow it - and I say that as an occasional smoker.

In our place (public service) you have to clock out/in for a smoke break and only if it's outside of 'core hours' which is 10am-12.30pm and 2.30pm-4.30pm. This is completely fair imo, as you're smoking on your own time.

I honestly do not believe you work with someone who tuts if you go to the loo (unless you're renowned for stinking up the place).
    They do give out about it like its their right to go outside and smoke and then moan when somebody leaves their checkout to go to the toilet.Ive no prob;lem with people go o ut for a quick smoke but i have to wait until they come in so i can go to the loo.

• Advertisement

People are innately distracted.

They'll either be out smoking or doing something else.

It's easy to see smokers as taking the piss because the actually get up and are obviously not working whereas somebody who stays sitting can pretend to be.

Unless you work on a production line you don't work constantly.

Management pretty much base their opinions of you on your work return and number of sick days.

Management does not care about what else you do.

Anyone with managerial experience could back me up on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

They do give out about it like its their right to go outside and smoke and then moan when somebody leaves their checkout to go to the toilet.Ive no prob;lem with people go o ut for a quick smoke but i have to wait until they come in so i can go to the loo.
    give them a slap and tell them to stfu.They won't know what that means so they'll think you are weird and will leave you alone from now on.

. . . but i have to wait until they come in so i can go to the loo.

No you don't, you're entitled to use the toilet. Just get up and go. Or the next time one of them is going for a ciggie tell them to wait until you return.

It's smokers who aren't entitled to have smoke breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

dotsman wrote: »
    First off, smoker's are being forced outside. Traditionally, they would have sparked up right in front of us and kept working. It's only when some people started complaining, that the alternative of smokers going outside was proposed.

True, damn smoking Nazis, you just can't please them. Always moaning about the Evil Smokers.
    dotsman wrote: »
    I am a light smoker, sometimes smoking at work, but not exactly a chimney. But the one thing I've noticed about my smoking breaks is that they are not "breaks" at all. Usual is rush downstairs, get in those few quick drags and am often back at my desk within 3-4 minutes. While I am outside, I'm usually thinking about my work (trying to figure out a problem I'm working on, or planning my day, or deciding what I'm going to say at some meeting etc). If I am talking to somebody, it is often about work, and smoking is great for networking. The amount of decisions that have been made by smokers, that otherwise would have taken hours of BS and meetings is actually quiet scary!

And this is very very true as well. Smokers are more productive IMO (at least, smokers in technical fields) because you get those 5 mins to clear your head and think a problem through. Non-smokers who just sit there struggling with a technical problem might never figure it out. You need to step back from problems to solve them.

And the amount of networking and productive meetings that happen out in the smoking area really really is unbelievable. Smokers know exactly what is going on all over the company cos they hear all the goss from every department with a smoker at some point during the day. Informal meetings happen and important decisions get made 20 times a day when out at smoke breaks. The most effective managers I've known were guys who smoked, and who had the cop on to smoke with the workers, and to wear their "fellow oppressed smoker" hat not their "big-shot manager" hat when smoking. They knew what was really going on, they knew which staff were effective and which were considered muppets, they knew how decisions would play with the workforce.

Besides, minute-counting is ridiculous and a holdover from early 20th-century mass-production techniques. Judge workers on how effective they are at Getting The Job Done, not how many minutes a day they sit at their desk.

Wimmins with small children waste hours every day talking about kids, pregnancies, schools, diets, and making personal phonecalls. I've got three of them sitting within earshot, and they spend far less time day in day out actually working than I do. Older wimmins are nowhere near as bad. Sure, it's a sweeping generalisation, but it's got more truth to it than "all smokers are dossers". IMNSHO, YMMV, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Oohh, seriously, just let them smoke outside, helps everyone, it's mad when you can see them nearly going to crack, after going without a smoke for like two hours or soo..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

I lol'ed - everyone on boards giving out about smokers breaks, when it's obvious that people posting aren't working either! :D

I go outside for a chat sometimes with a work colleague who's a smoker. Nothing said so far. But I don't take the p1ss, and get my work done etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Seriously has to be one of the biggest strokes for the typical 9-5 office worker.

Last place I worked was legendary for the same group of smokers hanging around outside the front door. If you were popping out for lunch, feeding the parking meter, leaving for meetings etc you could bet your bottom dollar they would be at the front door having a crafty fag :rolleyes:

One day sticks in the mind where I was getting into the lift and a group of these clowns were just coming back from a smoke. We all got out on the same level and I was sitting at a desk in the middle of the floor and 5 mins into the meeting they were on their toes downstairs again, this time with a different group, 2 the same, 2 different, a rotation system if you will :D Unreal !

As a previous posted asked, are companies obliged to give smoke breaks, I dont believe they are but you have to blame the line manager surely and not neccessarily the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

raido9 wrote: »
    Really?

Could you back that one up please?

http://www.irishhealth.com/?level=4&id=2870

"People who smoke work less and take off more sick days than their non-smoking colleagues, new research suggests.
    In a study of over 300 office staff, smokers were found to be less productive and slower at completing tasks, compared with non-smokers.
    They also took, on average, two more sick days per year than non-smokers.

The researchers found that smokers tended to be less productive because they suffered more ill health and because they tended to take regular smoking breaks. Productivity levels improved within a year of people quitting smoking, they noted.
    The American study appears in 'Tobacco Control', a specialist section of the 'British Medical Journal'."

I am an occasional drunken smoker regrettably!

My job is a bit of a joke when it comes to smoking. Most of the staff smoke and they are down for at least 6 smoke breaks a day spending about 5-6 minutes at a time. I've heard of some companies that actually let non smokers off at 3 on a Friday.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

I work on my own and take a smoking break when I can and when I do it aint even for 5 minutes. More like two and in that time I might smoke half a fag. But I dont think it is a right and I cant take them whenever I want as I have lots of work to do. Usually smoke three a day in working time.

ems_12 wrote: »
    I lol'ed - everyone on boards giving out about smokers breaks, when it's obvious that people posting aren't working either! :D

I go outside for a chat sometimes with a work colleague who's a smoker. Nothing said so far. But I don't take the p1ss, and get my work done etc....
    im on maternity leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I can't believe what i'm reading - six mins a few times a day for a smoke break, sometimes TEN/FIFTEEN????? That's insane. I can't believe any employer would allow that. Thta's a huge amount of time out of the working week/year.

I'm an occasional smoker but don't tend to do so when I'm working unless I'm having a very stressful day. But if I ever did at work it'd be leg it out, few quick puffs, probably wouldn't finish it, back to the desk in three. People who take longer/smoke two are clearly taking the p*ss and should be reprimanded. It's grossly unfair on nonsmokers.

Thats what im getting at its the ones who take the piss.Where i work i work at the checkouts so if somebody slips out for a fag i have to wait till someone comes back otherwise there would be nobody serving.Thats why where i work they have cut down and you are only allowd smoke in certain areas.Cause the workers were outside having a fag and the customers in the q complained that there wasnt enough tills open cause they could see them out the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Dalfiatach wrote: »
    And this is very very true as well. Smokers are more productive IMO (at least, smokers in technical fields) because you get those 5 mins to clear your head and think a problem through.
    Wouldn't necessarily say smokers are 'more productive', but i'd certainly agree that stretching the legs for a few minutes when you're stuck on something helps a lot. Decent workplaces shouldn't discourage non-smokers from doing the same.

ems_12 wrote: »
    I lol'ed - everyone on boards giving out about smokers breaks, when it's obvious that people posting aren't working either!
    Well said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

but i'd certainly agree that stretching the legs for a few minutes when you're stuck on something helps a lot. Decent workplaces shouldn't discourage non-smokers from doing the same.

Oh, definitely, especially in brain work jobs. If I was a manager of a team of people, where their job involves thinking things through, I'd encourage them to take a wee 5 minute break every 90 minutes or so.

And then reprimand anyone who started taking the piss out of it, so's everybody knew where the line was.

Wins all round.

• Advertisement
Advertisement