Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

has the crackdown been a success

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

Absolutely. Tis a free world afterall. But I do think someone needs to challenge the often ridiculous views of the moral high grounders here. Its good in the long run. At least it wasnt a denial that they dominate the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

You won't find any change in stats, because the Gardai aren't actually clamping down.
    I was driving home on the Kilmore road (next to northside shopping centre) on Friday around 10PM, where there was a checkpoint in place. I was stopped, spoken to and had my tax/insurance checked. The driver with L plates up in front of me (who managed to also cut out driving up to the guard) was just waved on. Was in the car on her own, no licence, tax or insurance checked.

Simple fact is, the new law is not being implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pnag

I'm SICK and TIRED of this bull about "the driving test shows you can drive safely unaccompanied". That's pure and total crap.

So, robotically tilting my head to look at mirrors, when I would normally safely glance so a berk with a clipboard can see it? Contrived, and UNSAFE.

Reversing around corners? For what? When does anyone EVER do this??? But parking? Not a part of the test. Motorway driving? Nope. Night driving? Nope.

It's a ridiculous, outdated test with terrible, arbitrary markers. You don't pass it by luck? Absolute codswallop. A friend of mine by his own admission did! Why? The tester was a rugby fan and talked about rugby for the duration, barely looked at his clipboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

pnag wrote: »

Reversing around corners? For what? When does anyone EVER do this???

I saw a car have to reverse around a corner at a traffic lught junction the other day because a large articulated lorry was coming towards him and needed the room to pass by, due to parked cars blocking his side of the road.

Also, the reverse around the corner and subsequent driving backwards is one of the hardest things t oachieve in a car - if you can manage that, it is a good indicator that the driver can manage other maneuvers - many of which would not be replicated in a controlled environment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Heroditas wrote: »

Also, the reverse around the corner and subsequent driving backwards is one of the hardest things t oachieve in a car - if you can manage that, it is a good indicator that the driver can manage other maneuvers - many of which would not be replicated in a controlled environment.

Have to agree with this, the point of the driving test is to prove you have control over your car if you can't reverse around a corner which is pretty easy then you can't control the car properly.

• Advertisement

Ah lads, I bet my ass that ye couldn't do it now though. I'm sure you could for the test, but now?

And this?
    I saw a car have to reverse around a corner at a traffic lught junction the other day because a large articulated lorry was coming towards him and needed the room to pass by, due to parked cars blocking his side of the road.

Was that exactly as it was in the test, was it? No more than half a metre from the kerb? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Was that exactly as it was in the test, was it? No more than half a metre from the kerb? I doubt it.

Pretty narrow road actually and yes, he kept it very tight.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ah lads, I bet my ass that ye couldn't do it now though. I'm sure you could for the test, but now?

Given where I live I almost end up doing it daily :)

Just because you may not do it much doesn't means others don't and doesn't mean their not good at it either,

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Funny this morning... Driving up the Nad road to Cork doing 100 odd in an 80 and I see a flasher come on behind me. Pissed off put on indicator and waited for safe place to pull in. When I was nearly in car shot past me to car in front. At this stage I hadnt even noticed they had L plates on the car. So I took off again quite delighted and closed the ground on the unmarked again. L plate driver assumed they wanted to do same to them as to me but when they stopped so did cop and straight to window over what I can only assume was the L plates. Anyway if this driver is on here thanks for breaking the law casue if it was a speed check I was totally screwed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Garz

So does anyone know if an L driver driving on their own invalidates their insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Caychadh

Not if it's third party, fire and theft as that doen't cover you anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm SICK and TIRED of this bull .......... ...............That's pure and total crap.

.............. Absolute codswallop.
    I'm giving you a chance pnag as you're fairly new but any more of the nonsense and you'll be taking a break. We strive to have a constructive, educational and informative forum - not somewhere to vent anger because of your own apparant shortcomings.
    I bet my ass that ye couldn't do it now though. I'm sure you could for the test, but now?
    Reversing around a corner isn't particularly difficult and anyone who is driving on a public road should be able to do it.

(Some of us have to do it with a 45ft trailer).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Am I the only Learner Driver in the country who stopped driving unaccompanied when the fine came in yeah!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

keane2097 wrote: »
    Am I the only Learner Driver in the country who stopped driving unaccompanied when the fine came in yeah!?

prob ya :D:D

prob ya :D:D

Damn...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

No actually, there are others. My neighbour, who has 6 kids, and failed his test for at least the fourth time in as many months, has not driven unaccompanied since the rules changed.
    He is however, not a happy chappie as he has to cycle several miles to work now.

You are not alone.

Ah, Wishbone Ash, come on!!!

Yes, I said it was bull, but it wasn't directed at anyone in particular, it was a generalisation. And in fairness, it seems its okay for you to directly insult me because you can say
    because of your own apparant shortcomings.
    ?!?

I do take your point that I was venting though. I really do hate "test" style driving - no one I know drives like that :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

No, i did. I had to give my car to brother, as my battery kept dying. I passed my test on friday even after not driving for 6/7 weeks.

i thought i was the only one, cos all the other Learners i know are/were still driving

irishbird wrote: »
    No, i did. I had to give my car to brother, as my battery kept dying. I passed my test on friday even after not driving for 6/7 weeks.

i thought i was the only one, cos all the other Learners i know are/were still driving

I think I might start driving again once I renew my license and get my tax sorted cos I have my date now so I reckon I'd be fairly unlucky to meet a guard who'd still sting me for a grand if I show him the letter etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

- no one I know drives like that :rolleyes:
    That says more about your friends driving than the shortcomings of the test.

I did my lessons and test in the UK and I have to say I found both to be a good reflection of how you should drive. My instructor not only taught me how, but also why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DaveyGem

what was mthe cause of that accident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

Advertisement