Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else here absolutely hate Race Week?

Options
  • 31-07-2008 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Have managed to avoid Galway during Race week for the last few years but to no avail this year. Any other Galwegians out there, honorary or otherwise, who would rather exit stage left then watch the drunken stupidity and money flashing crap of many race goers in town?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Have managed to avoid Galway during Race week for the last few years but to no avail this year. Any other Galwegians out there, honorary or otherwise, who would rather exit stage left then watch the drunken stupidity and money flashing crap of many race goers in town?
    its crazy alright.... driving past the clayton last nite should have seen the queue of pretentious drivers with their flashy cars and thinking it was alright to block the whole road while trying to get in to the car park....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I usually avoid it. I live in earshot of the races and every blooming helicopter. I hate going out to be stepped on with ridicously high stilettos by biddies who are plastered, and have pints spilt on my by hot shots who arent really all that hot. I did, however last night go to the Clayton, under duress and it was my first time ever attending any sort of Races related thing..and yes it was mobbed, but with drunken twats mostly,

I'm can't just join in the race lark, it's expensive, pretentious and daubed in WAY too much fake tan for my comprehension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Yeah I'm generally not a fan of race week, except for one special moment a couple of years ago in the queue for the offie.

Let's just say you haven't lived till you've seen a drunken guy in a suit getting f*cked by a hippies dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Yeah I'm generally not a fan of race week, except for one special moment a couple of years ago in the queue for the offie.

Let's just say you haven't lived till you've seen a drunken guy in a suit getting f*cked by a hippies dog.
    tell us more:eek:

Pray do tell! I feel a quality chortle coming on..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I thinks it great, I get an extra half hour in bed in the mornings :D cos there is feck all on the roads, takes me 10 mins to get to work, normally we're talkin' anythin' between 30 & 40 mins!!! Takes me 10 mins to get home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The races itself is great, what I don't like is what it brings along with it. The main thing that pisses me off is, as said above, the 'hot shots' who aint so hot. They put on a suit, talk ****e, flash cash (and try to appear that they have more than they do) and act like someone important.

This year I avoided the track, but headin out tonight for the craic. My mission: To not buy anything from a pub (Won't be hard considering you'll be Q'ing for hours). No sir, tonight i'm 'Buckie in a Coke bottle' man... sure won't everyone be drinkin on the streets anyhow. And if anyone calls me a scumbag for drinking buckie... sure i'm a student, it's like the Body of Christ to me for the time being :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

LOL! I love it. Please tell me you had your cameraphone :D

I've managed to avoid every trace of race week so far. I live and work west of the river so I've just not been to town all week. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

avoiding it this year as well due to illness - but usually, it's fun - go to town early, sit down somewhere outside with a drink, and start the 'oompa loompa' watch.

Why people think that high heels they cannot walk in (and look stupid trying due to lack of posture) paired with an unhealthy orange glow and dresses two sizes too small is 'a nice look', I don't know...But it keeps me entertained for hours...;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

OK It was a few years ago, I was queueing up for offie across from The Dewdrop (back when it was an offie). This is in broad daylight at about 7 in the evening.

Couple of guys in suits in front of me, shall we say slightly merry, and a hippie with a dog on bailing twine in front of them.

One of the guys leans down to pet the dog, but loses his balance and goes right over on his hands and knees, quick as a flash the dog is around the back of him and humping his arse. The poor guy is too drunk to get the dog off him and the hippie eventually manages to drag him away, leaving the dude, to get up and dust himself off, sans dignity, and acting like nothing had happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

quick as a flash the dog is around the back of him and humping his arse.
    Ahahahah, jesus. I wonder where he learned that trick?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't like Race Week at all - it's turned into an adult rag week!

Have to say, I was in the Shop Street area this morning and the council workers did a fantastic job cleaning up last nights mess.

Also it's forecast to piss rain tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I normally enjoy it, my mates are into racing so all come home for the week.This year though so far i've been at home with a stomach bug so it sucks.:(

Great story PopebuckfastXVI, what a twat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 iphone newbie

Great story PopebuckfastXVI, what a twat

Why exactly is he a twat? Because he was wearing a suit on race week? Because he stumbled over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I love the races and they are great for bringing money to Galway and a lot of jobs are created from it. I would like one of the Tabloids to expose some of the rip offs though. It doesn't matter if its a High Roller or a Student; nobody should be paying over the odds. I don't normally go up on Thursdays because there is no comfort up there. When you have a few winners its a better week.
    I'd budget to spend/lose about 120 euro a day; nothing more. I put my winnings into a seperate pocket and if there is anything there at the end of the week I threat myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Is it just me, or are there less helicopters around this year compared to the previous years???

Overall there will be about 80 different ones over the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

nope, don't hate it at all.:D

I enjoy it, go on the saturday & place my bets. Win some, lose some, have a good day whatever happens.

Don't get hammered, stay sober at the track as I'm driving, have a few that night and enjoy myself.

Why exactly is he a twat? Because he was wearing a suit on race week? Because he stumbled over?

Easy, easy iphone newbie,..maybe twat was harsh, heat the the moment (like the dog obviously!)prob because he was too drunk to get the dog offf him etc, I would have laughed so hard at the fella, mean and all as that may be!

• Advertisement

galah wrote: »
    Is it just me, or are there less helicopters around this year compared to the previous years???

I reckon your right on that..i have noticed a lot less

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

sgthighway wrote: »
    I love the races and they are great for bringing money to Galway and a lot of jobs are created from it. I would like one of the Tabloids to expose some of the rip offs though. It doesn't matter if its a High Roller or a Student; nobody should be paying over the odds. I don't normally go up on Thursdays because there is no comfort up there. When you have a few winners its a better week.
    I'd budget to spend/lose about 120 euro a day; nothing more. I put my winnings into a seperate pocket and if there is anything there at the end of the week I threat myself.
    Whoah, easy there.
    Don't do anything rash.
    It's great if you have money left over at the end of the week, you should really use it by yourself a present or something. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

normally try and get out of the City for raceweek. no money this year though :(

Whoah, easy there.
    Don't do anything rash.
    It's great if you have money left over at the end of the week, you should really use it by yourself a present or something. :D

Maybe I will buy a Dictionary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Cole

I'm can't just join in the race lark, it's expensive, pretentious and daubed in WAY too much fake tan for my comprehension.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I'm from Briarhill, Ballybrit. I used to enjoy the races up until recently enough. Working as a barman in a city centre bar last year during the festival really turned me off. Being sober all the time and serving wasted fat-cats (and fat-cat wannabees), bogmen and mutton-dressed-as-lamb women really made me see things in a new light. I'd say 80% of the race goers were no problem at all, considerate and mannerly but as for the other 20%...what a bunch of absolute a**holes. They would have you believe that by throwing on an ould suit or a dress (from St. Vincent de Paul probably)...they go up a level or two on some make-believe social scale, where it's okay to put on "airs and graces " (definition :) false ways of behaving that are intended to make other people feel that you are important and belong to a high social class).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

galah wrote: »

Numbers are down this year attending the races afaik, as is the amount being gambled. Just a sign of the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'm from Briarhill, Ballybrit.

my condolences. this must be a horrible time for you and your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I HATE the races, I'm still scarred 12 years later because of my first and last trip to the races! I was 7 and it was a cold windy day, I was freezin' and my mam made me wear a pick jumper with a green button...I mean, come one? Pink and green?! And i won no money.
    And the traffic is crazy...it's the week I avoid galway at all costs...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭chat2joe

Town seems much quieter than when I was here in 2006. Most of the fat-cats were somehow involved in property/construction and now that's pretty much gone.

Jurys at the bottom of Quay street even had free rooms all week when i checked at the weekend!

Advertisement