Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get around eircom

Options
  • 31-07-2008 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I've just moved out of an apartment where we had an eircom phone line and digiweb dsl.

I phoned digiweb to cancel and they said it would be a 121 euro fee to do so as it's less than 1 year. Alternatively I can pay my next two month standard charges of 84 and be out of the 1 year and just cancel for no cost. No brainer there.

Problem however is when I tried to cancel eircom phone line. Apparently they cannot do so as there is a dsl connection on the line (as if they care). Woman on the line there was not interested in finding ways around it.

Doing the maths the total cost to me if I cannot cancel the phone line and keep everything going as a minimum payment is 170. If I cancel digiweb and pay the 121 then total cost is 120.

Obvisouly I'm better off paying the cancellation charge but I'm wondering if anyone can find any other ways around at least some of these costs

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I presume Eircome 'care' because they have an agreement with Digiweb to supply a dsl service on the line therefore cannot cancel the line without digiwebs agreement as digiweb would be paying them wholesale charges for the service.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You signed up to a contract and if you cancel within it then your liable for a buyout fee, I can't see anyway you can get around it unless digiweb would as a goodwill gesture waive the buyout fee but they have no reason to do this and are well within their legal rights to charge you this fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kersti

Actually this is not the case. I have no problem with paying digiweb the rest of the contractual amount that I signed up for. I did not however sign a 12 month contract with eircom and thus I should be able to close down that service with no problems.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

kersti wrote: »
    Actually this is not the case. I have no problem with paying digiweb the rest of the contractual amount that I signed up for. I did not however sign a 12 month contract with eircom and thus I should be able to close down that service with no problems.

You should alright as eircom don't have contracts on their pstn services afaik, of course they may want the DSL cancel request to come from digiweb first otherwise they'll think your trying to pull a fast on on digiweb by canceling the eircom line and doing a runner or something

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Cabaal wrote: »
    You should alright as eircom don't have contracts on their pstn services afaik, of course they may want the DSL cancel request to come from digiweb first otherwise they'll think your trying to pull a fast on on digiweb by canceling the eircom line and doing a runner or something

That's my point - they have an agreement with Digiweb. Presumably if you take out a 12 month contract with Digiweb implicitly you are saying that you will have a dsl line for the provision of that service.

Presumably Digiweb enter into some sort of contractual agreement with Eircom which would be negated by Eircom cancelling the line with consequential problems. If Digiweb cancel the service with Eircom properly then Eircom would be free to deal with the poster and allow the cancellation of the line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement