Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best coffee for a dinner party?

Options
  • 31-07-2008 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi folks
    I'm a complete novice (cause I don't drink it...sorry coffee lovers :)) and am having some friends over for dinner in a couple of weeks, some of them love their coffee... what do I serve?

Given that I don't have a coffee machine are there any 'off the shelf' brands you would recommend?

Cheers for the help,
    e

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 NI_Roaster

If they love their coffee do not serve them instant coffee. You say you do not have a coffee machine, do you have a cafeitere? You can pick one up for a few €. Then get some good quality fresh coffee and they will love you for it. There is a sticky on the board with numerous recommended suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

It all depends on how much money you want to spend. My number one priority starting from scratch would be to get freshly roasted beans and a decent burr grinds (not Krups).

And as NI_Roaster said a cafetiere or french press can make awesome coffee for not too much money. If it's gonna be in a few weeks, there's probably no point in buying an espresso machine, as it can take a while to master.

You could go on to the Java Republic website, they have a Bodum Antigua grinder for €50 / €60. They probably do a french press as well (not sure), and sure while you're at it get some fresh beans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 emmaod

thanks so much....crikey all sounds a bit complicated to a non-coffee drinker...

I'll check out the Java Republic site... was really hoping to make it as easy as possible (only so I can drink as much wine as possible and not worry :p)

...so basically the advice is to avoid anything in the supermarkets, even if they look expensive, and invest in the cafeitere

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

How much do you want to spend & where are you based?

You could pick up a french press cheaply. If you're in Dublin you could drop into Bewleys or M&D or Fixx etc. on the day and pick up some freshly roasted, freshly ground coffee.

French press:
    FrenchPressCoffeemaker8c?$lg$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Another vote for the French Press (also known as press pot or cafetiere),
    based on your once-off requirement it's the easiest and most cost effective.

Have a read of this guide on how to use:
    http://coffeegeek.com/guides/presspot

You'll pick up the pot in a larger supermarket or Home Store & More

Have a look on Ristretto or Hasbean and order a couple of bags of
    fresh roasted coffee. For your needs specify you need "cafetiere grind".

If you like the results it'd be wise to invest in a grinder and then order
    whole beans in future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 emmaod

Brill.... might take a look at that French press thing, am in Dublin so should be easy enough to find.

e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emmtee

some of the jars taste just as good especially if its just for a one off dinner party... get your coffee pot and use the intstant without your guests seeing, of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

emmtee wrote: »
    some of the jars taste just as good especially if its just for a one off dinner party... get your coffee pot and use the intstant without your guests seeing, of course!

Don't listen to this terrible advice whatever you do... instant is instant, coffee is coffee - two entirely different drinks. If your guests love their coffee they won't be impressed by you serving up the other.

As for the fantasy about the 'jars tasting just as good' - well, emmtee, I hope you don't serve up Thunderbird and try to tell your guests it tastes just as good as a decent Bordeaux do you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

While I completely disagree with putting instant coffee in the press, surely there needs to be some degree of restraint here? The OP never drinks coffee, so buying a grinder and press for a single occasion seems like fanwankery to me. Just leave it at the press and a decent blend, and your guests will be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I think all posts recommending using instant be moved here
    and the poster(s) banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Still waiting on that swear filter.

Vexorg reads the forum on occasion, he may just oblige...

I haven't forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭james1234

Agree with the cafetiere, but what coffee would you recommend?

What about any of the major supermarket brands, are they worth it? I like my coffee, and am happy enough with a cafetiere, have the same one for the last 10 years (a cheapo 2 cup Bewleys one!!! mind you the filter is fraying a little...)

Seems recommending someone to go to all the hassle of having to order coffee online a bit too much for a once off... I often buy from tesco just for convenience, and it does the job! French 3-strength is a nice all-rounder, should please most!

Your location says Dublin. Why not drop into M&D, Bewleys of The Bald Barista and pick up some freshly roasted coffee on the day of the meal. They'll grind them to the desired consistency for you, tell them it'f for a french press. May be worth buying a new one if the filter is frayed on the one you have.

Advertisement