Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work wants an itemised broadband bill...

Options
  • 31-07-2008 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Our nosy secretary is trying to get an itemised broadband bill for the office. Does anyone know if you can get an itemised bill and what kind of detail it has? Are we all going to be fired for being on boards and bebo too much?

I think (I hope) it might just show how much is being downloaded each day. Perhaps I can blame the important educational sites.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

from an isp point of view, they wouldnt be able to do that, not easily anyway. Would be much more effective for them to monitor it from the firewall in work, where it can show sites visited, if setup for monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

I would think it would be fairly impossible to get such a bill - it is way too much hassle for an ISP to check all the Ip addresses and websites you access.

They may provide traffic reports but that would be about it I would think

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Philthy wrote: »
    Our nosy secretary is trying to get an itemised broadband bill for the office. Does anyone know if you can get an itemised bill and what kind of detail it has? Are we all going to be fired for being on boards and bebo too much?

I think (I hope) it might just show how much is being downloaded each day. Perhaps I can blame the important educational sites.....

I think most isps regard an itemised bill as one showing phone calls rather than sites visited so you wont have to worry - now if she discovered some nice software...........................

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Philthy

dub45 wrote: »
    now if she discovered some nice software...........................

She's not very technical, she's just a bit of a nosy one. The boss is away on holidays so she's trying to be super-efficient and a squeal at the same time.

Anyway, thanks guys. Its only a small office anyway and no-one is that bothered so long as the work gets done. She's just a sh*t-stirrer, always has been. I don't know how she would hide all the holiday and fashion websites she's on all day anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm sure they could given you an itimised bill if they wanted.

1st July - connected
    31st July - disconnected

Length of call: 744 hours.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

An ISP won't give you the info your looking for, if you want website access, time on-line etc then either install 3rd party software to do this or get a router or server that will log this info.

Don't waste your ISP's time even asking them for this type of info :)

The most an ISP may give (depends on ISP) is overall time logged in using a modem/router and downloads and uploads in MB and GB but that won't tell anyone that much...unless their running bittorrent etc

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Philthy

God, I don't want an itemised bill! I just want to make sure they aren't available for our peace of mind here. We're all wondering what she's up to.

Like I said, we're a small office and costs are kept to a minimum so I don't think we're going to be forking out for any software any time soon.

Thankfully the boss is a technophobe:p

Advertisement