Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the pro's and con's..

Options
  • 31-07-2008 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

To owning a bitch dog?.

I've been offered a lovely Red Staffordshire Bull Terrier bitch from a friend who's a breeder.

Normally I'd avocate a rescue, but I know this dogs lines and it'll be a fantastic looking dog.

I've never owned a bitch.

Its not going to cost me a penny either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

Mairt wrote: »
    To owning a bitch dog?.

I've been offered a lovely Red Staffordshire Bull Terrier bitch from a friend who's a breeder.

Normally I'd avocate a rescue, but I know this dogs lines and it'll be a fantastic looking dog.

I've never owned a bitch.

Its not going to cost me a penny either.

the only thing is she will come into heat, but you can always get her spayed, unless you want to breed her eventually. bitches tend to be smaller and in my opinion that little bit smater so they do. if you do intend to not spay her just keep a close eye on her when she's in heat and make sure no other dogs have access to her. other then that you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Not a problem for me but I have my two females neutered. Are you intending to breed from her?

Bitches can tend to want to dominate male dogs and can be more cranky than males sometimes especially over food issues but also fighting for your exclusive attention. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭DancingDaisy

I have two neutered bitches and an unneutered male. I find the girls are generally more independent and tend to be a lot smartter that the boy.

Up until November we had only one bitch and she was unneutered, and even then she was lovely. She was only nuetered when we got the male, which my mum wants to eventually breed from.

I find that the girls are far less excitable than the boy and that they are generally better with children due to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

personally i prefer bitches to dogs. i find they look up to your more, more eager to please and generally less hassle, except for the heat, if you get her fixed then you wont have a bother. bitches seem to settle quicker with other dogs, altough theres exceptions to every rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Mairt - You seem to be a great pet owner so I say if you have the time and space in your family's hearts for another four legged friend then go fo it! And make sure to post pics! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks T. I'm surprised at your comments, and complimented.

As for breeding. No I'd have no intention of breeding from her for a few reasons.

Tbh, I don't have the time to put into breeding a dog then trying to find good, suitable homes - esp. for a Staff.

So I'd be getting her the snip :(

If I do get it, I'll post pix of course. But first I've to get around another bitch in the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

If I do get it, I'll post pix of course. But first I've to get around another bitch in the house!

:eek: lol......

I don't notice too much of a difference between dogs and bitches. The only issue you might not want would be heat, but if she will be getting the snip, then I see no problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I never found any difference between either people ask this question about cats too, ok males and females have certain things happen to them when they are all hormonal and not spayed/neutered that aside personality wise there is no difference. My two female spayed dogs and my mothers spayed female dog all have totally different personalities any male dogs over the years have had different personalities too but really in general it comes down to that particular dogs unique personality. Ok certain breeds have certain traits but their personalities wouldn't all be the same.

Just happened that our dogs are female but would have no problem if they had been males either. Next dog we get might be a male who knows.

Ok one more thing.

Just discovered this evening, she's the runt of the litter.

Now, as one who would normally advocate a rescue I'm naturally inclined towards the underdog, she's lovely :p

But she's half the size of the rest of the litter.

Any issue's with the runt?.

Oh yea, I've provisionally give her a name (although she's not mine yet!) - Ruby.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Any issue's with the runt?.

She could simply be smaller than the rest and therefore the last at the teat and explode into a perfectly sized, healthy dog once the competition is gone ...or...she could have health issues. Only a vet could tell you.

• Advertisement

the runt wont normally survive if its sickly. if your pup has being feeding well and is just smallwer then the rest, without being under weight and weak its probably just a smaller bitch. not every pup in a litter will be the same size. yours could have the small genes thrown back from generations before.

I agree with both posts above. Even if she is the "runt", once she is feeding well, is strong and growing normally I wouldn't worry about it. You will often find that the runt may be small up to about 10-11 weeks but will then start growing quite fast once they are in a new home.

However, health issues need to be assessed, as if she wasn't getting the proper nutrition required when she was very young she may have some problems. I wouldn't worry about it though, we have had a few "runts" in our time and they all grew up to be healthy, active and vibrant pets.

Thanks guys, tbh she looks weak and sickly compared to the other's.

I might take her today on the understanding that I get her a clean bill of health from the Vet first, but then if thats bad - how do I give her back knowing I'm probably resigning her to a lesser life than I can give her :(

I'm too bloody soft for my own good sometimes.

what age is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i have the runt of the litter. it turned out the breeder who has been breeding the same line for 17 year kept her as she showed the most promise. i got her for €70 more than the rest on condition he gets a pup back from her in the future and the only reason i got her is because im local and know him years. so far she has failed to dissapoint and a few dog men who have been working the breed for years reckon she is showing unreal class and is extremly eager to please, so dont underestimate the runt!

Mairt.....I think you should take her. Even if she appears weaker than the others, if you give her the loving home I'm sure you would then she will thrive once she is no longer competing with her litter mates.

depending on her age,if she's still suckling, i'd let nature take its course. but as you seemed to have bonded with her, you could supplement her feeding with lambs milk. give her a few mil in her mouth 4 times a day, with a syringe. until shes weaned and ready to leave the bitch.

Lads, I have her!.

I'll post pix of 'Ruby' shortly..

Have to go :D

Ruby the Staffordshire Bull Terrier...

attachment.php?attachmentid=60610&stc=1&d=1217588510

attachment.php?attachmentid=60611&stc=1&d=1217588579

attachment.php?attachmentid=60612&stc=1&d=1217588959

she looks fine and healthy to me,little dinger. if she a bit under weight some good food will soon have her right, plenty of meat.

• Advertisement

What a beaut! :D

She looks healthy to me too! Gorgeous little thing, not surprised you couldn't pass her up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Now that is one good looking pup. Good luck with her.

Awww, she really is gorgeous. Best of luck with her!

Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

The photos don't do the 'runt of the litter' thing justice.

She's tiny compared with her siblings, with hardly any muscle. Not that she was treated badly, just wasn't getting her share of the grub me thinks.

I'll bring her to the Vets during next week and get her a full medical, plus I think she needs to be wormed as her tummy is pretty bloated.

Other than that she's fine. She's very active and VERY nippy, and putting poor ol' Jericho in his place!.

Regards the runt of the litter thing, a friend of mine had a pom who recently gave birth to pups, only two survived the first week sadly but within 3 weeks, one of them was absolutely huge and the other tiny (a real little runt). All that caused it was that the big fella, while feeding, took up so much space that the little fella couldn't latch so he had to wait his turn. However after the eight week period they were seperated and the little fella has comeon leaps and bounds. He's about 5 months old now and perfectly healthy.

This goes to show that once the puppy gets away from teh greedy siblings they often thrive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KhuntChops

Hi Mairt,

Well congrats on the new addition! Owning both a dog and bitch staff I can safely say that she will bring your family such pleasure! I find a bitch much more eager to please and find they learn commands far quicker! About her being the runt of the litter,I really wouldnt think anything off it,I have seen many cases of the runt in the litter growing to be bigger then there litter mates! You will probably see a big difference in her size in the next few weeks you have her!

She is gorgeous,I wouldnt of been able to pass her up if I was you either,the children look smitten with her too.

I cant wait to hear what shes been up to,I can gurentee that you will have some storys to tell in the next few weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

Oh Mt God Mairt - She's a little stunner isn't she! Well done, she is FAB, lovely name too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jenpup

she is stunning, no wonder you couldn't pass her up! Absolutely fab!!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Beautiful little pup - would have been impossible to say no :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you got the dog from a breeder a breeder shouldn't give away or sell a dog that hasn't had the all clear from the vet and worming and vaccinations up to date. She needs to be wormed every two weeks if she's very wormy you have to be careful. Parazole is a good mild wormer.

Advertisement