Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Manual Gearbox - Can you convert to Automatic?

Options
  • 31-07-2008 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Long story, so don't ask.................:rolleyes:

I have a July 2008, BMW 320D M Sport Coupe with a manual gearbox.

I now have an need for an automatic gearbox, so:
    1. Is is possible to have an auto box fitted? If yes, how would this affect VRT, registration, etc..
    2. If no, how much would I have lost for a trade in, only 1400kms on the car. I know its around 5k for auto+vrt, but I am struggling with how much I have lost in a couple of weeks. :eek:
    Thanks for the feedback.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ouch, this is gonna be painful.
    It's not impossible, but to keep warranty you would have to get it done by BMW I assume and it would be in the 5k-10k range minimum imo? Assuming you can find a garage willing to do it.

However trading it you will have lost a fortune, 15-20% imo, no garage wants another second hand car.

I've been looking at 08 coupes and although prices are still high on carzone they have all been there for months and not sold. From speaking with dealers they aren't shifting unless they drop them to levels that they are losing money on hence they are all still priced very high. Buyers are very wary of spending in a falling market.

Dunno what I would do in your situation tbh. If this a short or long term requirement? Buying a cheap second hand auto for a period of time work out?

Either way you are in for a massive financial pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Thanks for the feedback, its useful. It looks more painful than I initially thought, so will assess my options.

Other thought's/inputs (if any) welcome.

the more I think of it the more I think converting is a bad idea, if you factor in the depreciation due to doing it. Who would want to buy a newish manual to auto coverted coupe?

Unless keeping it forerever possibly taking pain of trade in is way to go. Maybe you will get lucky on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it's just not economically viable. buy something else.

you could always look into getting a servo fitted on the clutch, these are a compromise and not as good as an automatic or semi automatic. these are sometimes used for disabled drivers. although Motability Ireland stopped using them in 2006 or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

colm_mcm wrote: »
    it's just not economically viable. buy something else..
    Could the cost of a conversion be higher than depreciation if he were to sell it?

Nothing depreciates like a new car.

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    Could the cost of a conversion be higher than depreciation if he were to sell it?

Nothing depreciates like a new car.

except possibly a new car converted from manual to auto!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

have you ever priced an auto box from BMW? also factor in possible new ECU, wiring loom, and even bits and pieces, I reckon you're easily close to €10k

Ok, I can see the conversion isn't really a runner, and may impact things even further down the road, so that's dropped as an option.

I guess now the question is how bad is the depreciation, although not looking good ? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Take it back to your dealer and ask their opinion. See if you can swap it for an auto demo they have of similar value.

Be prepared to lose money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Normally, an Auto coupe would be worth less than a Manual Coupe in the 2nd hand market, so could you do a direct swap maybe? Surely some dealer would reckon he'd move on a manual quicker than an auto and be happy(ish) to do a straight swap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

As Biro & AudiChris have said try and do a swap for a demo if possible. At least yours is a July one anyway, an auto will be in band C as apposed to Band B for the Manual. I myself would imagine that a dealer would shift a manual quicker. The manual is circa 52k the auto is circa 57K so if you want a post July Auto I think you'll have to throw some money the dealers way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm no mechanic but changing a manual gearbox to an automatic sounds like a horrifically expensive job. Just wondering how reliable it would be afterwards too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

eddiem74 wrote: »
    I now have an need for an automatic gearbox

leg fall off??

why not try privately advertising for a swap? Somebody may have gotten an auto and would prefer a manual

Thanks for all the feedback/suggestions. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,438 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you talk to a dealer, Eddie, would you follow up here to let us know what they said?

Advertisement