Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIFI Hotspots on my way to Kerry

Options
  • 31-07-2008 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

In a couple of weeks, I am going for a weekend in Glenbeigh (near Killorglin) Co. Kerry. Does anyone know a WIFI Hotspot on route?

If I can't find one, I probably need to stay till 5pm before leaving Dublin to deal with an incoming mail. If I find one I can leave early (beat the rush) and stop for 30 mins to complete my mails.

A guess the specific questions are.
    1. Anyone know WIFI 60 / 90 mins outside Dublin on route to Kerry (maybe Nenagh direction).
    2. Anyone know whether there are WIFI hotspots in Glenbeigh or more realistically Killorglin.

I know its a bit cheeky:D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

In a couple of weeks, I am going for a weekend in Glenbeigh (near Killorglin) Co. Kerry. Does anyone know a WIFI Hotspot on route?

If I can't find one, I probably need to stay till 5pm before leaving Dublin to deal with an incoming mail. If I find one I can leave early (beat the rush) and stop for 30 mins to complete my mails.

A guess the specific questions are.
    1. Anyone know WIFI 60 / 90 mins outside Dublin on route to Kerry (maybe Nenagh direction).
    2. Anyone know whether there are WIFI hotspots in Glenbeigh or more realistically Killorglin.

I know its a bit cheeky:D
    Find any eircom broadband customer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Mountrath. Petrol station coming in to village from Portliose. On the other side of road. On same side it just has Web terminals. (Possibly).

Adare Village (Kilarney/Tralee road) has a free WiFi hotspot someplace (might be Manor Hotel though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Charleville. There is an eircom hotspot in a centra on the way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Check this site before you go and possiblt plan your route in advance. Fon hotspots aren't everywhere and aren't free to the majority but are great to get yout out of a hole, which you appear to be in.

They are cheap anough and there are a good few between Dublin and Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Stick "Irish Wifi Hotspots" into maps.google.com and it'll bring up a list which might be helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

http://www.eircom.ie/hotspot
    Then click on the Find a Hotspot link.

Ive had free access to these (because Im an eircom BB customer) for the last few months. Havnt used them much, but when I was in Tralee a while back it was a lifesaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Killorglin Library has free wifi - just ask for a ticket at the counter which is good for 50 minutes to an hour I think.
    There's a cafe just beside it as well that has wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

dont mcdonalds have wifi in all the restaurants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

May be a fonera there?

http://maps.fon.com/#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Thanks for all the replies. Lots to consider. Just working through some of them now.

Guil07, I looked up the McDonalds website and they have listed the McDonalds at Roscrea as having free WiFI(http://www.mcdonalds.ie/About-Us/Restaurant-Locator.aspx). So this sounds a very good option. Right distance from Dubln and Kids always want to stop there anyway. Have you used mcDonalds free WiFi? Is it ok?

Deep Blue, Someone else suggested the Library in Killorglin, so that could certainly be a back up.

Still struggling to get map.fon working :confused:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭useruser

Would it be easier just to use your mobile phone (assuming you have one?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Park adjacent to any hotel along the route and you will pick up free wifi as a lot of hotel networks are not secure. You could get an 02 mobile broadband contract and cancel after two weeks also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Deep Blue, Someone else suggested the Library in Killorglin, so that could certainly be a back up.
    The Bianconi Inn in Killorglin (just up from the bridge) now has free wi-fi so that could also be useful as a back up if the library is closed.

Advertisement