Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband 24MB Line to Greystones!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's ADSL2+ technology which is still dependent on the quality of the copper between you and the exchange which has nothing to do with BT. Note the use of the words "up to" in the blurb. You may be lucky, you may not, depending on your existing attenuation and SNR margin figures. There are plenty of online checkers that will tell you what you can expect given your current ADSL stats such as this one http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CameraStuff

24mb is achieveable only if you are less than 500m from the exchange. At 1 mile you will get 16-18 at 2 miles you will get 8-12 and so on.

First thing you shuold do is check your SNR and Attenuation. The higher your current SNR the higher you potential speed will be. Note that an SNR of 6 or lower will rule out ADSL 2+.

E.G. for a current SNR of 32 it will reduce to around 10 when ADSL 2+ is installed.

Irish Broadband were offering 12mb in Greystones until I pointed out that the exchanged has not been local loop unbundled and therefore couldnt offer anything of 6mb.

I will check the exchange upgrade schedule again but don't be surprised to see Greystones upgrade pushed out to next year as the upgrade relies on Eircom doing the work and they are not inclined to aid a competitor.

I will update when I know more.

Also please remember that the distance from the exchange is line length not as the crow flies. Often lines can be over a mile long even if ur less than mile from the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Cheers for that - let us know.

BTW, where is the greystones exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its behind the old post office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Decks

How much will it be to upgrade?

• Advertisement

Its free for people who already have the 3MB line.

If you've only a 1MB line you'll need to upgrade your package - i think its 40 euro.

Its all on http://www.btireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

Hang on I'm living within 500M of the old post office, BB exchange. I currently have Eircom BB, but if I were to get BT 3MB, I'd get upgraded to 24MB???

Intriguing...if correct...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭GAN

Even if BT manage to improve their broadband technically, I couldn't recommend you switch to them -- their customer service is truly appaling. We had a terrible experience with them where they threatened us with legal action claiming they owed us money when in fact it was all down to mistakes they had made in their billing department. I wouldn't touch them with a 20 foot bargepole no matter how quick their broadband is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mjmorrisroe

I've used BTBB for 1.5yrs & haven't had a single issue with them. The problem was switching from Eircom for obvious reasons...

Just been upgraded to 6mb line now so something must be happening.

Anyone else go from 3 to 6 mb ?

• Advertisement

apart form the actual speed how can you tell? mine seems te same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭leaba

I'm on an eircom 2MB line on the greystones exchange and haven't seen any change in my bandwidth...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Decks wrote: »
    apart form the actual speed how can you tell? mine seems te same

Try this site http://www.speedtest.net/, and also check with the helpful folk in the broadband forum.

My would be a Netgear router so to login to it its http://192.168.1.1
    The default login is admin/password but your could be different.

If its not this Ip address its http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.254

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

24Mb going live on August 28th according to BT today

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Tim131

24Mb going live on August 28th according to BT today

Thats good news. I ws talking to them a few days ago, and they said it will be done before Septmember ends. But hopefully it'll be here on the 28th.

They also told me, its only UP TO 24mb, so depending on how far away you are from the exchange and how many users are online you may or may not get the full 24MB. But if you are on option three and your line can handle it you will get AT LEAST 11MB, so that ain't so bad.

Anyone know if this 24MB applies to people in Charlesland? I rang BT a couple of weeks ago and they 24MB is available in Greystones but doesnt go as far as Charlesland, yet i got a flyer in the door saying it was available in this area. Anyone in Charlesland got it yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Decks wrote: »
    Anyone know if this 24MB applies to people in Charlesland? I rang BT a couple of weeks ago and they 24MB is available in Greystones but doesnt go as far as Charlesland, yet i got a flyer in the door saying it was available in this area. Anyone in Charlesland got it yet??

How much they asking for the 24?

Mines 6MB but it's actually worse than the 3MB line I had previously.

The reason?
    It has to be the contention ratio - they must of increased it ten fold which slows things down the more people are online.
    We'll never get 24MB - the exchange is about 2 miles away from Charlesland.
    6Mb could be the max or maybe 12 at most in the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 glasman

GAN wrote: »
    Even if BT manage to improve their broadband technically, I couldn't recommend you switch to them -- their customer service is truly appaling. We had a terrible experience with them where they threatened us with legal action claiming they owed us money when in fact it was all down to mistakes they had made in their billing department. I wouldn't touch them with a 20 foot bargepole no matter how quick their broadband is!!

Just had a call from BT Credit Department. Basically they attempted to intimidate me. I joined only the agreement (w/ their retention dept) that I would pay monthly which I have been doing regularly. Their Credit Dept insist that the Retention dept have no authority to make this type of agreement. Their retention dept (who are very helpful) are apologising for the "bad attitude" of the Credit dept and promised it would not happen again. But this was the 2nd call in as many months.
    I have decided to cancel. In Business the customer is always right.
    A dissatisfied customer tells 20 others.
    A satisfied customer tells 5 others.
    It costs 20 times as much to gain a new customer as retain an existing one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭GAN

Why am I not surprised -- intimidation is exactly what we experienced with them. Their attitude stinks.

Advertisement