Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to do away with postcount?

Options
  • 31-07-2008 2:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

It doesnt seem to show up on a few other forums Ive seen. Is it really needed on Boards I wonder? Just putting it out there.

Maybe bring back the rep system instead?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

whats the rep system...?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Rep systems are even worse than postcounts from what I've seen. It leads a circle jerk of +'s.

I don't care all that much for postcount, if it's there, it's there, if not, it's not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

What would sherifu do without it that is the question! :p

Quality wrote: »
    whats the rep system...?

You give another member positive or negative points depending if you agree with him/her or like him/her...

Fajitas! wrote: »
    You give another member positive or negative points depending if you agree with him/her or like him/her...

Sounds like a bad idea...
    Sure we all know who the muppets are anyway:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

pvt.joker wrote: »
    What would sherifu do without it that is the question! :p

I have a theory he's WWM reincarnate tbh :)

WHERE did all those posts come from so fast?!

I love ya really Sherifu

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    It doesnt seem to show up on a few other forums Ive seen. Is it really needed on Boards I wonder? Just putting it out there.

Why does it bother you OP?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It doesnt seem to show up on a few other forums Ive seen. Is it really needed on Boards I wonder?

I find it useful at times.

That makes no sense, why bring it back?
    It was abused and turned into a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I don't see why it should be gotten rid of. Doesn't do any harm.
    If posts in TCN counted, mine would be a lot lot higher! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I think turning post counts off would be good, there is too much people around here that live and die by their postcounts.

• Advertisement

Quality wrote: »
    Why does it bother you OP?

It doesnt bother me Quality. Racism bothers me. Bad drivers bother me. Irish weather bothers me. An internet forum is a distraction :)

It is obvious, however, that some people are posting for the sake of posting to up their postcount. The overall quality then suffers.

Beruthiel wrote: »

Indeed.

Eg: If someone shows up with 2 posts, all spam, they're a blatant spammer/spambot. Ban & bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

It doesnt bother me Quality. Racism bothers me. Bad drivers bother me. Irish weather bothers me. An internet forum is a distraction :)

It is obvious, however, that some people are posting for the sake of posting to up their postcount. The overall quality then suffers.
    +1

Beruthiel wrote: »

Make it viewable to Mods only then. Gobsh!tes with 10,000 posts will be given the benefit of the doubt in some cases whereas a newbie with just 3 posts who registered just to stir (deservedly) deserves a ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Oh hell no. Not untill i hit 8k anyway ;)

But on a serious note, all the forums i frequent have a post count. The rep system is a load of bollocks tbh and +1 to the circle jerk.

I do believe VB has an option allowing users with the following option:

1. To show or hide post count.
    2. To see others post counts or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

No chance. I like the postcount and knowing how many posts i have to my name here and also how many posts other people that you are talking to have. Why would I want to lose that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Imagine hacking the boards DB and setting everyones posts back to zero.
    The sh!tstorm would be hilarious :D

Sure if you got rid of the post count you'ld never be able to tell the people who actually dont have to work all day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I have a theory he's WWM reincarnate tbh :)

WHERE did all those posts come from so fast?!

I love ya really Sherifu
    purple monkey dishwasher.

:pac:
    Make it viewable to Mods only then. Gobsh!tes with 10,000 posts will be given the benefit of the doubt in some cases whereas a newbie with just 3 posts who registered just to stir (deservedly) deserves a ban.

It also affects how I would answer a poster who may be new to boards and have a genuine question, or, may be an old hand and is taking the piss.
    Don't say you can go on join date as there are plenty of accounts that are years old with only a handful of posts - and so are still inexperienced in the ways of boards.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Imagine hacking the boards DB and setting everyones posts back to zero.
    The sh!tstorm would be hilarious :D

Sure if you got rid of the post count you'ld never be able to tell the people who actually dont have to work all day.

Or like the thing that happened last year or the year before when post counts went beserk. Peple who had 10k, showed at 2k, people who had 50 showed as 3k, etc etc. It got sorted after a day or so but some people got a tad upset at it and was quite funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

People will always post for their own reasons. I can't actually remember that last time outside of Mod duties that i considered someones post count.

If someone is driven by post count and ends up at 20 posts a day of pure ****e its not hard to just ignore their posts.

• Advertisement

Decent point actually but I still think it does a bit of good. For example, Feedback threads. The mods & smods can know off the bat that the OP is an experienced poster on here rather then a troll or someone that is just confused or someone that isn't fully used to Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I'd say a compromise here is necessary. It's handy to see/know when you're talking to somebody on the forums, I think anyway. But maybe it's a little bit too specific. I think an implementation of "Status" would be better. e.g.

This way, while it's still relatively early in the accounts life, people have a fair idea of how many posts the user has, but after that it becomes less relevant.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Indeed.

Eg: If someone shows up with 2 posts, all spam, they're a blatant spammer/spambot. Ban & bin.

agree, kleep postcounts...or only let mod & admins see them and don't bring in a rep system as it'll turn into another joke

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm partial to my e-penis thanks!

Sure, I've seen bigger. But it's what you do with 'em that counts. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Mirror wrote: »
    I'd say a compromise here is necessary. It's handy to see/know when you're talking to somebody on the forums, I think anyway. But maybe it's a little bit too specific. I think an implementation of "Status" would be better. e.g.

This way, while it's still relatively early in the accounts life, people have a fair idea of how many posts the user has, but after that it becomes less relevant.

Not really fair - I've seen users who joined a few months ago rack up a couple of thousand posts - mainly in 'chat' threads such as yore ma's or the lair. A lot of them would have little experience outside of these areas and some have even been pulled up recently for 'chatting' in threads in other fora.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

How about a system of :

1 - 10 posts
    10 - 100 posts
    more than 100 posts

that way can you spot the spammer , but once a person has passed 100 without been banned can you assume they are here for legitimate reasons (pighead excluded of course), and no need to count after that..

plus I presume you could keep in on for mods to view...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

SteveC wrote: »
    Not really fair - I've seen users who joined a few months ago rack up a couple of thousand posts - mainly in 'chat' threads such as yore ma's or the lair. A lot of them would have little experience outside of these areas and some have even been pulled up recently for 'chatting' in threads in other fora.
    So what? Whether they have a status that's indicative of their post count or a literal post count, they're still going to get given out to. I don't see your point at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I use a mixture of join date and post count when looking at user with my mod hat on.
    The rep system was fun at the start, but got abused. The new 'Thanks' option seems to work much better.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Jaysus no!
    I just hit the big 3-0.
    Suddenly people are starting to sit up and take notice.
    Mods are looking at my profile.
    People want me on their friends list.
    I'm a big shot now Ivor.
    Dont take that away from me.
    Without it I'm nothing but a Mengele passing in the night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Have it optional.

Show/Hide own postcount.
    Show/Hide other users postcounts.

A spammer is a spammer regardless of postcount..

Advertisement