Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to do away with postcount?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I think post count is just one of the small things which enocourages people to stick around and not act the idiot.

A few posts, and tbh I could careless about acting the bollox and getting a ban. But work up to a few hundred or thousend and a member is inclined to act more mature and more inline with someone having a larger post count.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I got given out to for trying to help someone with a low post count recently. :( Get rid of it and let people look after themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Mairt wrote: »
    I think post count is just one of the small things which enocourages people to stick around and not act the idiot.

A few posts, and tbh I could careless about acting the bollox and getting a ban. But work up to a few hundred or thousend and a member is inclined to act more mature and more inline with someone having a larger post count.
    I agree with this one hundred percent. You feel more responsible to the community in a sense, and are more inclined to maintain your own reputation (be that bad or good) when your postcount is on show.

Just like in any community, on the internet or otherwise, the more you contribute to it, the more you expect a certain degree of respect. In a similar manner, should we do away with the perks that come with being a subscriber? Subscribers are usually instantly noticable with the larger avatars and custom tag lines, and are deserved of these things for their contribution. While many people would say they don't really care about their post count, I would guess that regular users that have been around a number of years appreciate it's presence to a degree.

Having said all that, I think the bottom line is why get rid of it? It does no harm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Mirror wrote: »
    I don't see your point at all.
    Sorry, I didn't really think that one through....:o
    Well said, I agree 100% with that.

Call it an e-penis or whatever, a decent postcount in most cases is the result of a few years interaction on the site. As trolls are swiftly dealt with on boards, a reasonable post count is saying that the user has actually contributed to the community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

kaimera wrote: »
    Have it optional.

Show/Hide own postcount.
    Show/Hide other users postcounts.

A spammer is a spammer regardless of postcount..

Sense tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Hmm. If "post count" was done away with but "join date" stayed, people would assume I have 35k posts and therefore also an enormous e-peen.

+1. Ban the postcount.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

From a mod point of view, postcount is a handy thing to have. If someone is acting the mick and they've been around for a while/have a high postcount, I'd be more inclined to give them leeway. If someone appears to be shilling/spamming/breaking rules, its handy to know whether they're newly signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

But work up to a few hundred or thousend and a member is inclined to act more mature and more inline with someone having a larger post count.
    Members like Mordeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Sherifu wrote: »
    Members hate Mordeth.

Fixed it for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    It doesnt seem to show up on a few other forums Ive seen. Is it really needed on Boards I wonder? Just putting it out there.

Postcount is meaningless. Seriously. Unless your a mod and need to check if it is a rereg or a sock puppet.
    Maybe bring back the rep system instead?

Hell no. Both [wiki]Karma[/wiki] and [wiki]Reputation[/wiki] were flawed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Jaysus no!
    I just hit the big 3-0.
    Suddenly people are starting to sit up and take notice.
    Mods are looking at my profile.
    People want me on their friends list.
    I'm a big shot now Ivor.
    Dont take that away from me.
    Without it I'm nothing but a Mengele passing in the night.
    It's time to worry when mods are looking at your profile.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Terry wrote: »
    It's time to worry when mods are looking at your profile.

Buddy it's time to worry when I'm looking at your profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Phoenix Rising

On my site we took away post count and the join date. All hell broke loose. If it ain't broke don't tinker with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Good outweighs the bad tbh. I find it interesting to see that someone's second post is a blatant troll and also the 08 regs with 2k+ posts who obviously can't have a single thought without running onto boards to post it.

Anyone who takes their postcount seriously needs a hobby tbh.

You are not your job, you are not how much money you have in the bank, not the car you drive, not the contents of your wallet. You are not your f**kin postcount. We are the all-singing, postcount trolls of boards.

Postcount + 1:cool::P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Does postcount whoring count as a hobby?

It does for some people. I consider boards my means to dodging work!

You are not your job, you are not how much money you have in the bank, not the car you drive, not the contents of your wallet. You are not your f**kin postcount. We are the all-singing, postcount trolls of boards.

Postcount + 1:cool::P
    And you are not Tyler Durden. Nobody can pull off that speech otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

If it is then there should be a forum for it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'd say a compromise here is necessary. It's handy to see/know when you're talking to somebody on the forums, I think anyway. But maybe it's a little bit too specific. I think an implementation of "Status" would be better. e.g.

This way, while it's still relatively early in the accounts life, people have a fair idea of how many posts the user has, but after that it becomes less relevant.
    Thats not a compromise its opening the gates of Spam Hell.

I found personally I spent more time trying to get my post count up on forums that operated that way than I did contributing. Once you put rank and status on the number of posts somebody has, things get ****ed up.

For example Ber has posted a lot more than I have - she probably knows more than I do. And look she's been here X more years too. But at the same time DeV or Cloud will have been here even longer by a few years (at least, as I understand it) and would have less posts on mention than Beruthiel. That doesnt make Beruthiel more senior than them. In contrast I have more posts than Cloud, and I'm the 'newbie' as he has 10 years of seniority to my 2.

If anything my postcount stands up there, high and proud, saying "god, 6500 posts in 2 years? **** sake Overheal get a girlfriend" :pac: *looks at Cushion's count and giggles*

• Advertisement

And you are not Tyler Durden. Nobody can pull off that speech otherwise.

:rolleyes:

Really? I never knew. All this time I was believing I was.....:rolleyes: I don't believe Tyler Durden mentioned anything about postcounts. You should watch the film again, I believe he mentions khakis.

Really? I never knew. All this time I was believing I was.....:rolleyes: I don't believe Tyler Durden mentioned anything about postcounts. You should watch the film again, I believe he mentions khakis.

some random text and then another :rolleyes: to show my disapproval! bit more filler, followed by a few full stops, a couple of returns and then...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Postcounts are fine but should have (posts per day) beside it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

postcount ++

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

bring back the

what are you listening to right now thread

post count upping in the extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Kulgan wrote: »
    Postcounts are fine but should have (posts per day) beside it!
    available in the user profile already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

pvt.joker wrote: »
    postcount ++

"postcount ++"++

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

You are not your postcount or how many thanks you have in your profile! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Phoenix Rising

R0ot wrote: »
    You are not your postcount or how many thanks you have in your profile! :pac:

You are your join date. That is what happened on our forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You are your join date. That is what happened on our forum.
    Therefore your post is meaningless and the opposite is true here...?

/massages e-p, 'soon, my little friend....., not yet.....,soon'

Advertisement