Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dying Cow 200: Sun 7th September

Options
  • 31-07-2008 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭

Another one for your diary:
    Starting at Bray Wheelers Clubhouse @08.00 this event will cover mostly back roads around Wicklow and glance off Carlow while crisscrossing the Wicklow Way several times.

http://www.sorrentocyclingclub.com/site/?page_id=25

Note this has been moved to 7th September to avoid a clash with the Sean Kelly Tour. I'll certainly be doing it- anyone else in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

I'll be on for it anyway.

Hope to make it to the Tour of kildare as well.

Also the Pat Colgan memorial is on the last sunday of august, about 120kms and takes in the Slieve bloom mountains

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

blorg wrote: »
    Another one for your diary:

http://www.sorrentocyclingclub.com/site/?page_id=25

Note this has been moved to 7th September to avoid a clash with the Sean Kelly Tour. I'll certainly be doing it- anyone else in?

I'd probably be up for it. It'd be my first event so would probably be pretty clueless!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Might as well ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

If I get enough training in could probably be ready for it.. did 81km on my last spin (second ever on my road bike!) but I've been feeling it ever since!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Lakeside wheelers into west challange is on that weekend which I've signed up for and been meaning to do for years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Anyone know why it's called the Dying Cow?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

There's a pub in Tinahely called that, maybe it goes by there? Alternatively maybe that's what you will feel like by the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Lakeside wheelers into west challange is on that weekend which I've signed up for and been meaning to do for years.

This will be my 6th year to do this event - great weekend and very well run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

This will be my 6th year to do this event - great weekend and very well run.
    Looking forward to it this year.
    Do you be out training with the club at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Looking forward to it this year.
    Do you be out training with the club at all?

No its a bit far away and there is a club just after starting closer to home. Having said that a friend of mine is a member and I would a know a number of the guys in the club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Any route map for the Dying Cow 200?

penexpers wrote: »
    Any route map for the Dying Cow 200?
    No, that would tend to dissuade people from doing it :D

Seriously though, generally with the Sorrento/Audax Ireland events they stick up a route sheet a few days/a week beforehand. All you need to know is: (1) it is 200km (2) it is around Wicklow (3) Wicklow is hilly.

I'd say give it a go though penexpers, you got around the ROK all right- this would probably be a slight step up, could possibly be a bit less climby than the Wicklow 200 as the description does not mention serious climbing. All will become clear closer to the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I'd say give it a go though penexpers, you got around the ROK all right- this would probably be a slight step up, could possibly be a bit less climby than the Wicklow 200 as the description does not mention serious climbing. All will become clear closer to the time.

Thanks for the words of encouragement :)

Are these events run as Audax events i.e no support?

You are generally meant to be self-supporting but they are supported better than the W200 with food at many controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭alcyst

Looking at the route Slieve Maan is in, and the slope around Loggan/Annaghgap/Clonroe looks stiff also. I made an attempt at mapping (the first 160-ish) in maymyride; have I got any big errors? I havn't done one of these before and my understanding of the rules is 1) finish within the time 2) arrive at the controls in the right order. Outside of that is a rider free to choose whatever route they wish, i.e. the route map is a suggested route?
    [Was out this Sunday, glad to see the rainy season continued to the end of August]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm planning on doing this, any others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Well I work on saturday nights but this does appeal to me. Let's see if I can dredge myself out of bed at 6.30am to get out to Bray (living in D6). Where in Bray town is this club?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭alcyst

Bray wheelers are off the Boghall Rd, on Schools Rd. Looking at a map it is fairly central. They have a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Raam wrote: »
    I'm planning on doing this, any others?

I am, but I won't be racing it ... prob do a slow-ish group just like for the SKT.

I'm out sadly, cycling Rodez-Biarritz via the Pyrenees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I am, but I won't be racing it ... prob do a slow-ish group just like for the SKT.

Sounds good to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I'm out sadly, cycling Rodez-Biarritz via the Pyrenees.
    Cycled much in France before? I did that this summer too. (not that route, but the country in general)

Húrin wrote: »
    Cycled much in France before? I did that this summer too. (not that route, but the country in general)
    Not much in France but a fair bit in Northern Spain- most of the cycling in France would have been just over the border related to that. The exception would be a spin around the Bassin d'Arcachon south of Bordeaux which has taught me that all of France is pancake-flat (including the French side of the Pyrenees I expect :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Tails

el tonto wrote: »
    Anyone know why it's called the Dying Cow?

Ha! Thats my local! Its actual name is Dolans but anywayst here are several stories why its called that, but the truth is rather mundane. A good while back one of the cows was dying but taking its time doing so. Eventually one of the locals said the place should be called the dying cow because at that rate the cow was never gonna die. And for some reason it sticked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amjon

How much is this likely to cost?Do you have to be a member of a club to compete?Also can you race it or is it just a big organised spin?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I might do this too. weather dependent of course as per usual with me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

kenmc wrote: »
    I might do this too. weather dependent of course as per usual with me :D

Sounds like something a Fred would say ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

amjon wrote: »
    How much is this likely to cost?

No mention of a fee on the Sorrento website, which means it could cost nothing. A few people here have done other Sorrento audax events so they might know if they bill people.
    Do you have to be a member of a club to compete?

No
    Also can you race it or is it just a big organised spin?

It's not a race, but I'm sure you'll have no problem finding some people to race against.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rogerb

Don't know if this is helpful / relevant, but from my experience of doing a similar event run by Sorrento earlier this year (the Mick Byrne 200):
    penexpers wrote: »
    Are these events run as Audax events i.e no support?

You actually get fantastic support. On the MB200 there were roadside controls where there was a car packed with food and drink, and a "sit down" control with tea / coffee and more food. At one point we passed one of the club member's houses and his family were out in the front garden with food and drink for us! The lads at the controls were great - one had even been up the road sweeping gravel off some tricky corners.
    alcyst wrote: »
    Outside of that is a rider free to choose whatever route they wish, i.e. the route map is a suggested route?

I think you're really expected to follow the directions given. Part of the point is to ride a certain distance so you can't take the shortest route from A to B. On the MB200 the roads were actually marked, and very well marked too.
    How much is this likely to cost?Do you have to be a member of a club to compete?Also can you race it or is it just a big organised spin?

For the MB200 they asked for 10 Euro. You were also supposed to have a Cycling Ireland license or pay 10 Euro for a one day license, but I'm not sure if that was enforced.

You don't need to be a member of a club but be aware that you'll probably be riding in a bunch.

No-one was racing it last time and I think a few groups formed at different speeds. No-one'll stop you but you might just find yourself on your own all day. The race-heads will be at the Leinster RR championships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

I have not been on my road bike in a few weeks now as I have been doing a mountain bike race across wales but reckon I might do this...

What is the turn out for events like this? Ie is there much chance to get in groups and alternate to make the whole thing a bit easier or can you expect to do a lot of it on your own? :cool:

Advertisement