Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Networking Woes

Options
  • 31-07-2008 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hello,

I currently own a Netgear 108 Mbps DG834GT router and 54 Mbps WG111v2 wireless adapter. The reason for the mis-match in speeds is because when I bought the router it was a DG834G that came with the adapter. Router broke, and Netgear very kindly replaced it with the DG834GT.

Anyway, my router used to be in a different room beside the Xbox 360 to avoid having to buy an adapter for that. I used to connect my computer to the router via the USB adapter. In short, the USB adapter started giving me trouble. Won't connect sometimes, when it does it's slow, drops the connection if it is connected, Windows shows as "Connected with limited connectivity", etc. So, for the moment, the router is beside the computer.

So, in short, I'm going to buy either a wireless adapter or new router and adapter. If I'm going to go for the latter, I'm going to get a router with a good range (the one on the DG834GT isn't great) as well as a good adapter that isn't going to drop the connection and so on. Anybody have any advice? Suggestions on what router and adapter to buy? In-store is preferable, but online would be okay, too.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Pegasus15 wrote: »
    I currently own a Netgear 108 Mbps DG834GT router and 54 Mbps WG111v2 wireless adapter. The reason for the mis-match in speeds is because when I bought the router it was a DG834G that came with the adapter. Router broke, and Netgear very kindly replaced it with the DG834GT.
    It doesnt matter. The router will dropback to G mode if no 108Mbps adapters are available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Pegasus15

Yes, but what I'm saying is that my wireless adapter basically isn't working.

Can you recommend a new wireless router and adapter please?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Yes, but what I'm saying is that my wireless adapter basically isn't working.

Can you recommend a new wireless router and adapter please?
    How far away from the router is the computer?

I'd guess ~25 feet or so with two walls in between.

I'd guess ~25 feet or so with two walls in between.
    Do you get the same issues when you move the router closer to the computer?

• Advertisement

I'll try it out. But any advice on picking a new router and adapter?

I'm not sure really. Try to go for a dd-wrt compatible one with decent range.

Linksys are dd-wrt compatible. Full list here.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you tried updating the driver for the usb? Have you checked to see if there are any other wireless networds around maybe on the same channel?

Have you tried changng the wireless channel that the netgear is using?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Do you have any DECT phones nearby the router? Only some of the Linksys routers are DD-WRT compatible, the WRT54G v4 is defo but they are like gold dust, you can buy a WRT54GL which is essentially the same as the aforementioned model but made with the intention of flashing the firmware with DD-WRT.

MC

dub45 wrote: »
    Have you tried updating the driver for the usb? Have you checked to see if there are any other wireless networds around maybe on the same channel?

Have you tried changng the wireless channel that the netgear is using?

No new drivers, nope. A search shows no other networks. At all. And yes, I've tried changing the wireless channel. But thanks :).
    Do you have any DECT phones nearby the router? Only some of the Linksys routers are DD-WRT compatible, the WRT54G v4 is defo but they are like gold dust, you can buy a WRT54GL which is essentially the same as the aforementioned model but made with the intention of flashing the firmware with DD-WRT.

MC

No DECT phones, nope.

• Advertisement
Advertisement