Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine Braking

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Mr.David wrote: »
    Regarding Rev matching, the easiest way to try it is not to let the accel out when downchanging. i.e. travelling at 35mph in 4th, with your foot on the accelerator (not gaining momentum just staying constant) clutch in and change gear swiftly (keeping foot on throttle the whole time). This has the effect of blipping the revs to match the required revs for the lower gear. Its much smoother once you get the hang of it.

thats the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard , the clutch would last no time doin that , and you say you're a mechanic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

guil07 wrote: »
    thats the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard , the clutch would last no time doin that , and you say you're a mechanic

And you are qualified to say that this is "ridiculous" how?! I am not a mechanic I am a design engineer for Jaguar Land Rover. The above technique is an advanced driving skill taught to police drivers etc. If done properly it is the optimum way to change gear.

so ur tryin to say that when changin gear keep the accelerator in the same position while pressin the clutch, the engine would just rev high and then would gradually wear the clutch after time, i may have picked u up wrong but thats the way i see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

guil07 wrote: »
    so ur tryin to say that when changin gear keep the accelerator in the same position while pressin the clutch, the engine would just rev high and then would gradually wear the clutch after time,

When changing down, particularly changing down several gears in one jump, you need to increase engine revs to match the lower gear or the clutch will slip and wear until the speeds match (or you may just stall the car).

yeah i know that i read it wrong the first time i thought he meant all the time as in changin up aswell,

• Advertisement

No not for changing up definitely not!!

If driving at 40mph in 4th at 2,000rpm and want to change to 3rd then the revs will be higher for the same road speed. Suppose they would rise to 3,500rpm. Then keeping foot on acc and popping in the clutch will let the revs rise to 3,500rpm then engage the gear by letting out the clutch. Less wear and more comfort!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Zube wrote: »
    When changing down, particularly changing down several gears in one jump, you need to increase engine revs to match the lower gear or the clutch will slip and wear until the speeds match (or you may just stall the car).

What do you do then when you change up?
    Slow down the car so that he gearbox speed will match the lower engine revs? :D

You match your speeds before you change gear ...i.e you make sure that you are going fast enough / slow enough for the gear that you want to select next so that the engine won't stall or over-rev.

Other than that you let the clutch in and out quickly without lingering on the pedal and that's that ...it's what it's designed for. No need to confuse yourself and fiddle with the accelerator.

Rev matching was necessary on non-syncromesh gearboxes, otherwise you couldn't engage gears ...but that's different from the workings of the clutch
    No not for changing up definitely not!!

If driving at 40mph in 4th at 2,000rpm and want to change to 3rd then the revs will be higher for the same road speed. Suppose they would rise to 3,500rpm. Then keeping foot on acc and popping in the clutch will let the revs rise to 3,500rpm then engage the gear by letting out the clutch. Less wear and more comfort!

Why would you need to do that?

If you're comfortable at the speed you're going, stick in fourth ...if you want to slow down and use engine braking, why speed up the engine first and loose the braking effect?

The only time that rev matching makes sense is when you're changing down to speed up. And even then it's not to save the clutch, but to keep the momentum going.

peasant wrote: »
    What do you do then when you change up?
    Slow down the car so that he gearbox speed will match the lower engine revs? :D

You match your speeds before you change gear ...i.e you make sure that you are going fast enough / slow enough for the gear that you want to select next so that the engine won't stall or over-rev.

Other than that you let the clutch in and out quickly without lingering on the pedal and that's that ...it's what it's designed for. No need to confuse yourself and fiddle with the accelerator.

Rev matching was necessary on non-syncromesh gearboxes, otherwise you couldn't engage gears ...but that's different from the workings of the clutch

Why would you need to do that?

If you're comfortable at the speed you're going, stick in fourth ...if you want to slow down and use engine braking, why speed up the engine first and loose the braking effect?

By changing to 3rd you would increase the engine braking not decrease it. You dont have to do any of it of course you can simply change gear in the normal manner, but it is something interesting to try none the less.

By changing to 3rd you would increase the engine braking not decrease it.

Yes, by changing down you increase the engine braking ...but if you rev the engine up first before engaging the clutch there won't be much braking left.

• Advertisement

Yes, by changing down you increase the engine braking ...but if you rev the engine up first before engaging the clutch there won't be much braking left.

Simply selecting a lower gear and banging the clutch out is not engine braking! This would be awfully hard on your clutch.

For engine braking, you'd match engine speed to the lower gear, release the clutch, and then the engine, in a lower gear and foot off the accellerator, will slow the car.

The one place engine braking is still recommended is on very long downhill stretches, but it certainly doesn't mean riding the clutch all the way down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

DaMonk wrote: »
    I know that ya. Just wondering if I'm wearing my clutch needlessly by engine breaking when I could just be breaking normally.
    Not in a big way, but yes. Brakes are better at braking.
    DaMonk wrote: »
    Engine breaking is a habit by now and I hate coasting
    There's nothing wrong with coasting, provided you are in gear and you're not on the clutch. As all the economy people are telling us, it saves money (and polar bears).

Bottom line, drive in such a way that all gear changes are smooth, and don't stomp on the accelerator at low revs, especially in higher gears.

Simply selecting a lower gear and banging the clutch out is not engine braking! This would be awfully hard on your clutch.

For engine braking, you'd match engine speed to the lower gear, release the clutch, and then the engine, in a lower gear and foot off the accellerator, will slow the car.

The one place engine braking is still recommended is on very long downhill stretches, but it certainly doesn't mean riding the clutch all the way down!

What are you on about?

Once the clutch has made full contact, there is no more slippage. Not using engine braking to "save" the clutch would be akin to not accelerating either because that would also "save " the clutch. Just keep the car parked ...that'll save the clutch.

The clutch was desigend to transfer more than the maximum torque of the engine at any time...that's its job. Yes there will be wear on it, that's the nature of the beast, but with normal driving a clutch will easily last for 100,000-200,000 km depending on the circumstances. The only thing that will wear it prematurely is to let it slip for longer than necessary.

If you match the engine speed when shifting down, you get next to no engine braking anymore, only that of the engine slowing down when you lift off the accelerator.In case you're driving a diesel and are going downhill, you will get no engine braking after matching the speed ...the engine will just run away with you, no matter how far off the accelerator you lift your foot.

And whatever gave you the idea of riding the clutch when using engine braking going downhill??

Just to clarify: I'm not promoting to use engine braking via downshifting gear by gear when you're planning on stopping anyway ...that's pointless.

I'm talking about engine braking during normal driving ...when going downhill, approaching a bend, etc

If you match the engine speed when shifting down, you get next to no engine braking anymore, only that of the engine slowing down when you lift off the accelerator.

That is only kind of engine braking anyone would recommend!

What you are talking about is dropping the clutch when the engine speed is slower than required for a lower gear, and dumping the braking energy into the clutch. That is a mad idea.
    In case you're driving a diesel and are going downhill, you will get no engine braking after matching the speed ...the engine will just run away with you, no matter how far off the accelerator you lift your foot.

Generations of truck drivers will be fascinated to learn that engine braking doesn't work. All those signs on the French motorways I passed this summer, telling trucks to use engine braking on 5% gradients, all pure fantasy!
    And whatever gave you the idea of riding the clutch when using engine braking going downhill??

You did: when you say that engine braking doesn't work if you match engine speed to the appropriate gear, you're talking about slowing the car using the clutch while the engine is spinning slower than required. The only way you can do that continuously for a 10 mile downhill stretch is by riding the clutch.
    I'm talking about engine braking during normal driving ...when going downhill, approaching a bend, etc

No, you're talking about slowing the car with the clutch, a completely seperate thing from engine braking, and a really bad idea.

That is only kind of engine braking anyone would recommend!

What you are talking about is dropping the clutch when the engine speed is slower than required for a lower gear, and dumping the braking energy into the clutch. That is a mad idea.
    Just about as mad as dumping the accelerating energy into the clutch when you step on the loud pedal :D

Generations of truck drivers will be fascinated to learn that engine braking doesn't work. All those signs on the French motorways I passed this summer, telling trucks to use engine braking on 5% gradients, all pure fantasy!
    Try to read what other people write. Engine braking does of course work going downhill ...but the brake force is reduced when speed up the engine first.
    In the case of a diesel engine there actually is a point where it will run away from you ...that's why trucks have motor brakes and/or retarders to assist with braking (btw ..I have driven trucks)

You did: when you say that engine braking doesn't work if you match engine speed to the appropriate gear, you're talking about slowing the car using the clutch while the engine is spinning slower than required. The only way you can do that continuously for a 10 mile downhill stretch is by riding the clutch.
    That just doesn't make any sense :confused:

No, you're talking about slowing the car with the clutch, a completely seperate thing from engine braking, and a really bad idea.

I never said to slow the car with the clutch ..I don't know where you are getting that from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

The clutch was desigend to transfer more than the maximum torque of the engine at any time...that's its job.
    I wouldn't be too sure about that, given that the maximum torque has just been increased beyond the manufacturer's specs.

Just about as mad as dumping the accelerating energy into the clutch when you step on the loud pedal

Not so.

Here's my idea of engine braking:

I'm tipping along at 100 km/h in 5th on the flat. I reach a long downhill stretch. Instead of braking all the way down, I drop into 4th (matching engine speed as I change), and if that doesn't hold my speed, I drop into 3rd. Now I can cruise down the hill at a steady speed (with a bit more noise from the engine) without touching the brakes.

OK?

Here's yours, as I read it: when I reach the hill, I change down to 4th without matching engine speeds, and the car slows as the engine revs are dragged up when the clutch is engaged.

If that's not what your saying, I can't imagine what you mean when you say engine braking is reduced if I match engine speeds when changing gears. If that is what you're saying, then yes, you are slowing the car using the clutch, and it's a mad idea.

I wouldn't be too sure about that, given that the maximum torque has just been increased beyond the manufacturer's specs.

Yepp ...once the engine is chipped, the new found torque may be too much for the clutch. That's why I would also change to a higher rated clutch if chipping the engine
    Here's yours, as I read it: when I reach the hill, I change down to 4th without matching engine speeds, and the car slows as the engine revs are dragged up when the clutch is engaged.
    correct ...only that I let out the clutch quickly, so it isn't slipping. Once fully engaged it isn't subjected to any force bigger than it would be under full acceleration ...so no problem there
    I can't imagine what you mean when you say engine braking is reduced if I match engine speeds when changing gears. If that is what you're saying, then yes, you are slowing the car using the clutch, and it's a mad idea.

If you rev up the engine while changing down you're loosing part of its braking power. The spooling up of the engine (while your foot is off the accelerator) is what brakes the most. By revving up beforehand you're loosing out on that bit.
    Particularly in a diesel and going down hill, that may just be that bit that's needed to stop the engine from running away with you, as the hill may be too steep and you still end up having to use the brakes for too long.

Just to clarify ...of course I'm not advocating to do this at brutally mismatched speeds. Your road speed would have to be in the correct band for the next lower gear. But if it's braking force that I'm after, I'd rather use the foot brake to slow the vehicle down further before shifting down than use the accelerator to rev up the engine.

Hope you get now what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Lots of different views here. I'll add mine, from an engineers perspective. Engine braking is a useful tool to control vehicle speed, particularly on downhill gradients. However it should not be used to reduce vehicle speed suddenly by transferring the kinetic energy of the vehicle into increased engine rpm. This will cause additional wear of the clutch friction plate as it must slip until the two speeds are matched. The footbrake should be used for this purpose - it's far cheaper and easier to replace brake pads than to change out a clutch. If the driver changes down matching engine speed to road speed for the new gear before engaging the clutch then there is no slip and hence no wear on the clutch. In fact, the only time a skillful driver will slip the clutch is when starting the vehicle from rest at the lowest engine speed possible to provide enough engine torque to get moving without stalling.

correct ...only that I let out the clutch quickly, so it isn't slipping. Once fully engaged it isn't subjected to any force bigger than it would be under full acceleration ...so no problem there

OK, I understood you correctly, so my earlier comments stand. This is not engine braking as anyone else understands it, this is just mechanical abuse of your clutch.

But, hey, it's your clutch, feel free.

• Advertisement

I guess we're both "right"

Yes, I do (ab)use the clutch to a degree for engine braking ...because if I matched revs I wouldn't have very much braking left on my diesels.

But I do match the speed before I change down with a quick touch of the brakes, so the wear on the clutch isn't as bad as it sounds, (I'm yet to wear out a clutch on any vehicle prematurely.)

Hard to explain ...you would have to be there really

ok ...I'm willing to learn !

Here's me, nursing my fully laden 3.5 ton camper along a very twisty road, shifting up and down, using engine braking as well.

What am I doing wrong ? (other than nearly labouring the engine near the end there:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

ok ...I'm willing to learn !

Here's me, nursing my fully laden 3.5 ton camper along a very twisty road, shifting up and down, using engine braking as well.

What am I doing wrong ? (other than nearly labouring the engine near the end there:D)

Don't worry about them. The main question is how long does the clutch last in miles. If it's above the average, you're better than average with the clutch.

Thinking about it, I need to change a clutch on the AX. Oil contamination, and the coke trick's stopped working........:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

I just want to add that I agree with Zube that peasant's "clutch braking" is a bad idea. I do it myself from time to time, but it's still a bad idea :)

A vehicle is obviously only undergoing "engine braking" if the engine is connected to the wheels (i.e. the clutch is fully engaged and there is no slippage) and it is a relatively effective to slow a vehicle. To examine its effect, put her in 1st and drive to the redline, then quickly and completely lift off the accelerator. Notice how your forehead bangs into your windshield? :D

Peasant's point that you can get additional braking force by scrubbing the clutch while bringing car and engine speed in line is valid, but it must be one of the worst things a reasonable person can do to a clutch. You may think that if you drop the clutch instantly and don't ride it, that you won't be getting any slip, but the whole time the engine is revving up to match the car's speed has to be accompanied by slippage.

One last point. Diesel engines do have significantly less ability to engine brake than petrol engines. I've heard this is because diesel engines leave the valves closed when the throttle's off, so you don't get any resistance from air being squeezed through them.
    When signposts tell truck drivers to be in a low gear on a slope, they're probably suggesting that the truck driver also use (what's known over here as) a jake brake. I'm not sure exactly how they work, but I think they open the valves at the "wrong" time to cause lots and lots of resistance. They're also very loud :|

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Balfa wrote: »
    When signposts tell truck drivers to be in a low gear on a slope, they're probably suggesting that the truck driver also use (what's known over here as) a jake brake. I'm not sure exactly how they work, but I think they open the valves at the "wrong" time to cause lots and lots of resistance. They're also very loud :|

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_brake
    The idea of slowing down on the brakes to a point where you cannot slow down anymore without stalling before changing down is a bad idea.
    +1
    As an owner of a car that cut out easily at low/idle revs (dirty idle control valve, probably fuel filter too as it still sometimes happens), I cannot see how this is good. If your engine goes, so does your power steering and hydraulic brakes - you're definately not in control if that happens!

If I need to stop but have a long distance to do so (e.g. junction off a dual carriageway leading to a crossing or roundabout, red traffic lights etc.) I would use engine braking. I'd rather wear my clutch a bit more than coast TBH.

Does the engine actually consume any fuel when engine braking?

One last point. Diesel engines do have significantly less ability to engine brake than petrol engines. I've heard this is because diesel engines leave the valves closed when the throttle's off, so you don't get any resistance from air being squeezed through them.

Petrols have better engine braking because when you go of the gas you also close the throttle valve, effectively closing the air intake.

Both engines on braking compress air (which slows them down) but the compressed air also wants to expand again on the downward stroke and pushes the piston back down, so in effect you loose very little energy. But in the petrol engine the air intake is drastically minimised, so it has to pull a vacuum, which really hepls to slow it down. The diesel just keeps on puffing air in and out.

Additional engine brakes in diesels work in two ways:
    - exhaust brakes; close a valve in the exhaust so that less air flows out and air accumulates, further increasing the resistance
    - "jake breaks"; open the exhaust valves prematurely once the air is compressed, storing the air in a separate chamber, at the same time on the downward stroke the piston is not only not pushed down by the compressed air but also has to pull a vacuum. This increases engine braking signifcantly ...the action of blowing off the compressed air is also very noisy.

Pete67 wrote: »
    Lots of different views here. I'll add mine, from an engineers perspective. Engine braking is a useful tool to control vehicle speed, particularly on downhill gradients. However it should not be used to reduce vehicle speed suddenly by transferring the kinetic energy of the vehicle into increased engine rpm. This will cause additional wear of the clutch friction plate as it must slip until the two speeds are matched. The footbrake should be used for this purpose - it's far cheaper and easier to replace brake pads than to change out a clutch. If the driver changes down matching engine speed to road speed for the new gear before engaging the clutch then there is no slip and hence no wear on the clutch. In fact, the only time a skillful driver will slip the clutch is when starting the vehicle from rest at the lowest engine speed possible to provide enough engine torque to get moving without stalling.

Well put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Diesel engines do have significantly less ability to engine brake than petrol engines.
    My 'real world' experience of engine braking is mostly in off-road driving, particularly when descending steel hills. I've always found diesels to be much more effective at slowing/controlling vehicle speed at that lark than petrol engines.
    That's just my experience of them.
    I've heard this is because diesel engines leave the valves closed when the throttle's off, so you don't get any resistance from air being squeezed through them.
    I've never heard of an engine that can do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Rovi wrote: »
    My 'real world' experience of engine braking is mostly in off-road driving, particularly when descending steel hills. I've always found diesels to be much more effective at slowing/controlling vehicle speed at that lark than petrol engines.
    That's just my experience of them.
    According to the bastion of truth that is wikipedia: In a gasoline engine, some engine braking is provided during closed-throttle operation due to the work required to maintain intake manifold vacuum, the balance coming from internal friction of the engine itself. Diesel engines, however, are unthrottled and hence do not provide engine braking from throttling losses. (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_brake)
    I've never heard of an engine that can do this.
    Okay, I misunderstood, but the Jake Brake still works by opening a valve at the "wrong" time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ianobrien wrote: »
    If you want to see an almera sideways, pm me and we'll meet up and I'll show you how it's done
    You're my hero! :pac:
    If you are sliding then you have inappropriate speed for the road conditions.

I went through a phase of engine breaking but Ive stopped as I found I had to concentrate on it.
    Now I shift up once I reach 2000rpm and down as appropriate.

Advertisement